Not a DIY but for knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a DIY but for knowledge

OK guys, I need input for safety. I purchased a 5th wheel from a member here and am having trouble with some of his statements. Said he used it like it is all the time. Well, he had replaced the original fridge with one that is just electric. Said everything was good to go as he had used it on his lease like this as well as camping trips with his family. I never noticed until just a week or so ago this situation. I am finally able to get to repairing the things wrong with it that weren't suppose to be. While looking at how to better secure the fridge in place, I notice the gas line that is there for the previous original fridge. It has no shut off or cap on it. Now mind you, he said that he had used the trailer this way. I have never owned an RV and ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but if you do open up the gas, for the stove and hot water heater won't it be pouring out the end where the fridge is supposed to be hooked up causing a dangerous situation? Will simply capping it be a safe fix for it? Thanks for any info and please excuse my ignorance.

Trace it back to a "T" and plug/cap it there.

Comment

Bet its capped somewhere, no way your sleeping in a trailer with a major leak like that. I would plug it just to be safe though.

Comment

There may be a valve somewhere that was controlled by the fridge. I'd cap either way.

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

Not really, the gas option on a fridge in a travel trailer is for when you are pulling it and don't want to unload the fridge or you are rural for a couple days with no power. Probably a valve that is off and has been off for some time since most people "plug in" and rarely use that option anyway. also since he replaced the fridge and it's not the original then it's probably not even an option for the fridge that is in there now. hope this helps

Comment

If there is a valve just for the fridge on the gas line I'm not aware of it. Turn the gas on a little And go inside and check to see if any gas
              Is coming out...

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to post pics. These are from the outside access door.
                Attached Files

Comment

Typically there is not a shut off valve for these. They run one main line and T off to where they need gas. If your not going to replace the refrig with orginal (big money but worth it) then i would find the T and cap it there. Or you could cap off in the access area, Just make sure you leak test it good.

Comment

It looks like they only took part of the fridge out, and probably the part that tells the gas to turn on..... Hard to tell though.

Comment

Usually no cut off valves install. Cap it or Plug it and it should be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                        Usually no cut off valves install. Cap it or Plug it and it should be just fine.

He knows!

Comment

Should be a "T" in the line coming from the stove or heater and going to the fridge... disconect the line at the "T" and screw a cap on the "T".. then remove the line so it doesn't drop and tear something up later..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            It looks like they only took part of the fridge out, and probably the part that tells the gas to turn on..... Hard to tell though.
                            All you see except for the copper tubing with the threaded end is the back of the new fridge. Thanks again for all the responces, much appreciated!

Comment

Looks exactly like my setup as well...I replaced my original fridge with an electric and just put a cap on the old gas line. Simple fix to be safe!

Comment

Working...
                              X