No announcement yet.

Best device for checking camera cards in the field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have an iPhone/iPad, the Apple lightning to SD adapter works great. Only downside is having to import them all onto your device to view them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go to Walmart they have a 7 in RCA tablet for 49.99 it takes the micro SD cards download them to your tablet and transfer them to zip drive or computer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
        Go to Walmart they have a 7 in RCA tablet for 49.99 it takes the micro SD cards download them to your tablet and transfer them to zip drive or computer.

Comment

Hey Courtney, I just use my iPad and Stealth Cam reader. I pull and swap out the cards at every cam and view while in stand or at camp. Easy peasy! The newer iPads have the 8-pin connector with no need for an adapter like on the iPhone when you have an otterbox type case. Like you said, the little thumbnails are too hard to see on the phone but are plenty large enough on the iPad. I still don’t think most people understand the beauty of the StealthCam reader. There is NO NEED to download the entire card. Just open and view the ones you want. Save those and delete the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by kdunn View Post
            If you have an iPhone/iPad, the Apple lightning to SD adapter works great. Only downside is having to import them all onto your device to view them.
            Man, that’s so old school. What a beating [emoji30]

Comment

I carry a hard sided SD Card carrying case. It holds 12 SD cards. Got it on Amazon for like $12. I can hold 6 cameras worth of cards in it (2 cards per camera.) Each side of the case is 2 columns by 3 rows. I have a system. All the blank cards are on the left. I pull the card, put in on the right hand column and place the new one in the camera. If I want to look at the pictures, I will either use my phone or my android tablet with the ES Filesystem viewer that lets me scroll through the pictures or look at thumbnails.

When I get back home, I'll upload each SD card's pictures into their own folder and place it back into the left hand position for the next time out.

Having 2 cards for every camera is just too cheap these days to not do it... and it is a big time saver in the field. I used to have to sit in the truck and download them, reformat, etc, etc... now I just walk up to the camera with my case in my pocket, swap cards and am out of there quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                I carry my laptop with me. It's a bit big but fits in my pack. If I don't carry it with me, I always have extra SD cards to exchange. Additionally, I carry a card reader to view photos on the fly when I'm hunting public or transitioning between sets or too and from different stand locations.

Next on the list is wireless cameras.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                This. I carry my laptop, offload the pics, clear the cards and put them right back into the camera. Cuts down on the numbers of cards you have to own as well.

Comment

I've tried multiple different card readers and viewing options and still find it easier and faster to just swap cards. I have a card wallet to help organize my cards. I'm running 11 cameras year round and have 26 cards and haven't had any issues with cards not working unless they get washed, lol.

I am interested in the cuddelink also, if anyone has any insight into using it.

Comment

Thanks y'all. Going to give the Ipad a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
                      The WGI readers are junk
                      ^^^^This. Don't buy one of these. My father has one and its horrible.

I use my iPad and an SD card reader made by Apple specifically for iPad and iPhone. It works flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                        The problem I have had with what you do swapping cards is remembering what cards work with what camera. Even if they are unlocked not all SD cards work for some reason. I go a week with "No Pics".
                        I have tried labeling the cards that go at certain stands. The problem is I'm always moving cameras around. Then I'll have two cards labled for stand 8 that are now going to the water trough. So I've given up trying to coordinate cards with certain stands.

Whenever I place a fresh card in a camera I always format it in that camera. That seems to eliminate..or at least reduce...the possibility of any card errors between cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                          I have tried labeling the cards that go at certain stands. The problem is I'm always moving cameras around. Then I'll have two cards labled for stand 8 that are now going to the water trough. So I've given up trying to coordinate cards with certain stands.

Whenever I place a fresh card in a camera I always format it in that camera. That seems to eliminate the potential for any card errors between cameras.
                          Name the cam on the info.
                          Number the cam on the cam and number that card.
                          So the pic says Stand 1.
                          The cam may be cam 3 so that what your card says .

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                            Name the cam on the info.
                            Number the cam on the cam and number that card.
                            So the pic says Stand 1.
                            The cam may be cam 3 so that what your card says .

But what if you move cam 1 to stand 6? Then you have to rename the cam and the card
                            It's a lot to keep up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                              But what if you move cam 1 to stand 6? Then you have to rename the cam and the card [emoji14]
                              It's a lot to keep up with.
                              No the cam stays the cam you only rename it in the program to reflect the new location.
                              You don't change license plate when you move houses right?

Comment

Just keep the cams numbered and or color coded permanently along with the cards... The cards go with the cams....

You folks are making things to complicated... When I retire I might be come a professional card viewer/reader and charge for the service
                                Last edited by Pedernal; 09-04-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X