Have You Hunted Public Land In Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have You Hunted Public Land In Kansas

I have been hunting in Kansas for the last 3 seasons on private land one year in SE Kansas and the last 2 in Central Kansas. I absolutely love the hunting up there a bad day there beats most of my days here at home.

I want to keep hunting the great state of Kansas as long as I can but with the wife and I expecting our first born here soon I am thinking I might should try and save some cash and try my luck on public land.

I see a lot of you guys on here also hunt in Kansas and do so with good success. So, I am wanting to know who on here hunts public land in Kansas? Did you enjoy your time? Was your sightings good in quantity and quality? Would you go again? What part of the state did you hunt and how crowded was it for you?

Not asking for any of your honey holes just a general area you hunted and did you like it. If you have any info you would like to recommend it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Happy Hunting

Subscribed. Interested in this info as well.

Comment

I want to know as well, but would also like info on Missouri too! Subscribed.

Comment

Just FYI tags are going up to $415 for non res and license may be going up as well.

Comment

I just got back from SE Kansas this past Sunday. I was up there for 9 days. This was my 5th year. I hunt both private and public. I have seen some big bucks on the public and a lot of deer in general. I see more big bucks on the private land, but see more deer in general on the Public. Last year I watched a 10 point for 3 days without getting close enough to take a shot. I had 150+ 2 years ago come by twice, one was a 55 yards and the other was 20 yards but in the brush.
          As far as hunters it depends on the year. We have several "honey holes" we go to . This year our number one place was filled with hunters. Last year we saw one guy in 9 days and that was the last day. Year before it was loaded with hunters. #2 spot this didn't have anybody for miles hunting around us. One year loaded with hunters. We go the 2nd week in November which is usually prime. So probably more hunters there that week than any other.
          I have 2 lease one in Vernon which has Kansas sized deer and 1 2500 ac lease in Abilene that has good deer. Like I told a coworker this morning, I would give up both leases for the one week in Kansas if I had to. The Kansas trip is the highlight week of my year (hunting at least). I wait all year to go. I am worn out by the end of the week, but hate to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearkat View Post
            I just got back from SE Kansas this past Sunday. I was up there for 9 days. This was my 5th year. I hunt both private and public. I have seen some big bucks on the public and a lot of deer in general. I see more big bucks on the private land, but see more deer in general on the Public. Last year I watched a 10 point for 3 days without getting close enough to take a shot. I had 150+ 2 years ago come by twice, one was a 55 yards and the other was 20 yards but in the brush.
            As far as hunters it depends on the year. We have several "honey holes" we go to . This year our number one place was filled with hunters. Last year we saw one guy in 9 days and that was the last day. Year before it was loaded with hunters. #2 spot this didn't have anybody for miles hunting around us. One year loaded with hunters. We go the 2nd week in November which is usually prime. So probably more hunters there that week than any other.
            I have 2 lease one in Vernon which has Kansas sized deer and 1 2500 ac lease in Abilene that has good deer. Like I told a coworker this morning, I would give up both leases for the one week in Kansas if I had to. The Kansas trip is the highlight week of my year (hunting at least). I wait all year to go. I am worn out by the end of the week, but hate to leave.
            Let me ask you this if you didn't have the private ground would you still make the trip? Also do y'all hunt WMA or WIHA land?

Comment

I have gone the last two years and hunted on WIHAs. I don't have a lease in Texas so I try to go on a little hunting trip each year. I pretty much go for the experience, not trying to kill a certain size deer.

That being said, I've had a blast both times I went. There a lot of WIHAS, some better than others, but most had a good amount of deer sign. I've tried to time my hunts around the rut so I can have a chance at a buck that may be just passing through. A lot of the properties are small (40-80 acres) so if a truck is parked in front of it, I'll move on and allow that hunter his space. I did run into more hunters this year but didn't find it crowded on the weekdays.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                Let me ask you this if you didn't have the private ground would you still make the trip? Also do y'all hunt WMA or WIHA land?
                Yes. Depending on year, may see more on public. I usually hunt the Public Hunting Areas but there are a few WIHA joining the public area.
                Last edited by Bearkat; 11-17-2015, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearkat View Post
                  Yes. Depending on year, may see more on public. I usually hunt the Public Hunting Areas but there are a few WIHA joining the public area.
                  Thanks! Are there any units that tags are more sure thing you would recommend? Have you been fortunate enough to take any bucks up there?

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Anyone else

Comment

Bump

Comment

Working...
                        X