What Happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Happened?

I've been shooting traditional now for probably 5 months and have been really consistent forthe last 6 weeks all the way out to 30 yards. The last 4 or 5 days II've been all over the place I can hit right on the money and the next shot shoot 8 inches to the right and the next shot hit left. I've been really concentrating on my form and my grip. Its really driving me nuts.Any ideas I think Im over thinking it all do any of you guys go through slumps like this?

Take a couple days off, you will be amazed, good luck and stay with it

Comment

Do you shoot compound too by chance?

Comment

I've shot a compound for probably over 25 years but have not touched it since I piced up the recurve.

Comment

The question about compound was a good one.

Yes, this is common. Esp. if you are trying to shoot instinctively (i.e.,with no conscious sighting method). You can't miss one day and can't hit crap the next.

Welcome to the club.

Comment

Take a deep breath and relax, your stressing yourself out.

Comment

I take a break and when I pick it back after a day or two I start-off with blank bale shooting. Really helps me get back on track.

Comment

Over thinking it, relax and look at the " hair" you want to hit. I go through this alot to. Go out just to shoot a few, and wow every things great. Come back out a half hour later and cant hit s&^%.

Comment

Reading a TBM magazine from 2002 that applies perfectly here. Every time you go to the range, have a goal to work on. No plucking, get to anchor, etc. every time you do that, even if you miss the target, give yourself a point. When you don't, give yourself a 0. Shoot for a 20/20 or whatever you like. As you get better you'll reach your goal and move on. Also keep a journal. After shooting right down "I plucked 7 times, TP twice, but made 5 perfect shots." That way you can keep track of what's going on through the month and see what you need to work on. Also, somedays just go stump shooting, have a little fun competition, something that makes it fun and stress free. That way you don't end up getting upset, saying archery is stupid, and throwing your bow. Best of luck and hope you get your groove back!

Dylan

Comment

Pop some ballons at 10 yds it is a huge confidence builder and fun your body already knows what to do just get your mind out of the way feel the shots
                    Or you can blind bale shoot just shoot a blank bale of hay dont aim at any thing just sling arrows at the bale

Comment

I've been at this game over 20 years and I still have days like that.

Comment

I am sorry, I can't help you.

I am the exact opposite. I go days hitting left and hitting right, too high, too low. Then magically, all of a sudden, one day, I can't miss. I get all excited and then I go back out and shoot the next day and I am all over the place again.

I yearn for the days that I am not consisent... not consitently missing that is.

Comment

I asked about the compound because for me the shooting form is so different that i can either shoot trad well or compound well, but unfortunately not both. Switching back and forth was killing my skill and my confidence. The compound just didnt't "do it" for me, so I made a tough decision and said good-bye to it. Im sure ill have to pass on lots of hunting shots now, but the shots I do take will be all the more memorable.

Are you using a somewhat loose grip, anchoring for a few seconds(or at least a full second)? I struggle with this myself and am guilty of snap shooting especially with a hunting weight bow, I let her rip as soon as I feel my lip. Its more natural to me, but seldom as accurate.

BTW, I doubt I could even hit the target at 30yd, all my practice is from 15-20yd. Maybe your doing better than you are giving yourself credit for

Comment

Mikey2 , I think it was Wisco I told the other day "there will be days when you want to throw that Samick on the ground, and burn it..." Cuz he was all pumped about his new Samick bow he just got. But, I also told him, the enjoyment you get out of the whole journey of traditional archery is so sweet it'll make your teeth hurt ! When your next "dot-eater" shootin day comes, and it will, it will start to click on what it is you're doing to put that arrow there. And that, my friend can bring a tear to a glass eye... Good shootin, and God Bless, Rusty
                            Last edited by spidermonkey; 03-19-2015, 08:33 PM. Reason: Redneck grammar

Comment

I shot a little this evening and shot better. I really concentrated on following through with my bow arm and grouped much better but was hitting left. Thanks for all the advice I'm going to hang and rattle maybe I'll be confident enough by this fall.

Comment

Working...
                              X