Winkle Ranch in Llano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winkle Ranch in Llano

Have a hunt next weekend on the winkle ranch in the hickory pasture, first time going. Any tips or info would be appreciated!

Does Leo Brooks still run the ranch?

Comment

Couldn't tell you, I had no part in scheduling the hunt, just got the invite!

Comment

I think Judy Brooks runs it now. I haven't been in a while, but used to go quite a bit. You'll find mixed reviews, but it's not a bad place. It does get hunted hard. We always did ok, but we never hunted their stands. If you get off the main roads and hunt trails you'll see more deer. Throw out a little hand corn. There's no trees so if you decide not to hunt their stands you'll need pop ups or need to make ground blinds. Like anywhere else brush your pop ups in.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
          I think Judy Brooks runs it now. I haven't been in a while, but used to go quite a bit. You'll find mixed reviews, but it's not a bad place. It does get hunted hard. We always did ok, but we never hunted their stands. If you get off the main roads and hunt trails you'll see more deer. Throw out a little hand corn. There's no trees so if you decide not to hunt their stands you'll need pop ups or need to make ground blinds. Like anywhere else brush your pop ups in.
          Appreciate the info!

Comment

Is it low or high fence?

Comment

Low fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Leo passed away in 2002. Great family. Judy runs it. Get down on the river and hunt the trails in the brush.

Comment

just thought I would give some feedback on the trip. In 3 days of being there, I saw 2 deer walking out one night with my light, and that was it. Place was pretty scarce.

Comment

When was that? Moon? Weather problems?

Comment

Originally posted by jptx View Post
                      When was that? Moon? Weather problems?
                      Weekend of the 14th..weather conditions were **** but for as much scouting as I did I never even jumped a deer

Comment

Originally posted by SETXslayer View Post
                        Weekend of the 14th..weather conditions were **** but for as much scouting as I did I never even jumped a deer
                        That was a very slow set of days everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          That was a very slow set of days everywhere.
                          Yes it was. I hunt in Brady and usually see 10-15 deer per sit and only saw 5 all weekend.

Comment

Working...
                          X