How to Kill Cactus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Kill Cactus?

Anyone know of a good herbicide to kill cactus? All this rain has caused the cactus on our lease to explode. It is growing up around the feeders and blinds and I am tired of getting stuck evertime I get in and out of my blind and fill my feeders.

By cactus do you mean prickly pear?

If so Tordon is the best and Remedy mixed with deisel will do it just mix it stronger than recommended or it will just make it sick. If it were me I would go to TSC and buy a pear burner and just toast them.

Comment

What kind of cactus? We use REMEDY down around Ft. Stockton to help keep the roads clear. It'll kill mesquite, sagebrush and all of those stick cacti. I'm not sure about prickly pears. Our landowner when we had a lease at Throckmorton had the prickly pears sprayed commercially. I'm sure Jaspro would know.

Comment

Our rancher did ariel spraying for them on our ranch last year. According to him, it takes 3 years to kill (3 sprayings). We can already see some effects. Doesn't appear to have any effect on other vegetation. I'll see if I can find out what it is they used.

Trailboss

Comment

Roundup 4oz. to a gallon of water ain't bad

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
            Our landowner...had the prickly pears sprayed commercially.
            Our's supposedly did, too. Not one plant died! I told her I wanted the contract this year and would guarantee the same results for half the money.
            Last edited by cj7zrcool; 09-24-2007, 09:44 AM.

Comment

duplication

Comment

Pretty much napalm is the only effective means. Then it will give you about 5 years and you'll have to do it again.

Comment

I hear Buck Medley can get rid of it with his laser vision.

Comment

Tordon 22K is your best bet. Round up and Remedy deisel mixes won't kill it and even putting hot/over mixed doses won't kill at the same rate and in the end cost you a lot more. Physically removing them works for the small ones but once they get big you either spray them or burn them.

Disking, dozing, root plowing will only spread it out because there is no way you will get every pad and any thing left will resprout.

Comment

The only known guaranteed method is to grab it with your bare hands and choke it to death. (sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Comment

A Tordon, Remedy, Diesel mixture will kill it. If you have a lot it will be expensive. I second the burning. We have a pear burning rig at the ranch. Basically a propane tank mounted on a trailer with three 100 ft hoses. works pretty good.

Comment

Remedy and deisel fuel mix out of a sprayer

Comment

According to the Texas Agricultural Experimentation Station's "Brush Busters" program (http://tcebookstore.org/pubbrowse.cfm?catid=61)you should use the following:
                            Surmount 1%
                            Surfactant 1/4%
                            Hi-Light Blue Dye 1/4%

Mix with water and spray entire area. They found if you damage the plant (run over with a drag or roller), it absorbs the herbicide better.

This method will take 2-3 yrs to get a 80% overall kill.
                            Surmount is a restricted use pesticide.
                            Surmount contains picloram and can kill other plants/trees. As always; follow label directions.

Comment

I have used Tordon, Remedy and a small amount of diesel. The only negative is that NOTHING will grow where you sprayed for about 2 years. I have had 100% kill on prickly pear

Comment

Working...
                              X