Solar Panel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Panel Question

I just got a 12v Boss Buck feeder. It is set up in a small clearing (maybe 15ft x 15ft) in the middle of a thick section of woods. There is not a whole lot of sun light. Will a solar panel do me any good? I can buy a second 12v battery for a little cheaper than the cost of the solar panel. I would just have to swap batteries and take one home to charge each time I go to the lease. The solar panel would be more convenient, but only if it actually keeps the battery charged. Does anybody else have a solar panel in an area that is not necessarily dark, but doesn't get direct sun light?

ttt

Comment

I have one on a feeder and it stays charged year round. Gets light comparable to what you have on a cloudy day.

Comment

Thanks treestand, anybody else have any experience with this?

Comment

It depends a lot on how much the feeder is going to run per day. A good solar panel can keep up even in shaded conditions if your only gonna run it a few seconds. If you start feeding 20 seconds a day it may not

Comment

Solar Panel Question

Make sure the panel faces the south sky and it should work fine.

Comment

I have one in this situation. It will not maintain it forever but does extend the run time.

Comment

Definitely do the solar panel. It doesn't take much to keep the battery charged. Even less than ideal solar panel placement will generate more than enough current to keep the battery charged if the feeder is just doing a couple of throws a day. Solar panels aren't on or off propositions. A 12 volt panel flat on its back on a cloudy day still generates about 12 volts. Install it on a 45 degree angle facing south and on a full sun day it will make 18+ volts. Until the cows destroyed it, I had a feeder that had operated almost three years on the same battery throwing 4x per day.

LWD

Comment

Alright, sounds like I'm getting a solar panel. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Just do your best when installing it to avoid having loose or exposed wires, squirrels will eat it or at least try. (Apparently, there's something about wire insulation that they love.) Also avoid loops of wire even if inside the insulated flexible metal covering. Coons will use anything to climb a feeder, and a plump, corn-fed coon will break the cable. Zip ties, wires no longer than necessary and electrical tape will be your friend.

LWD

Comment

Make sure the panel faces the south sky and it should work fine.
                      I have had them keep a battery hot for a long time with little or no direct sun. Get a good quality panel and as big of a panel as you can get by with and it will be good. Keep it facing south and you will be good.

Comment

Ihave been using SP for years and as someone who builds and sells feeders I strongly recommend them, you will not be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                        X