I want to mount a duck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any taxidermists want to give me some pointers. I believe Ive got the skinning part down. What do yall use to tan the skin? Is there a website yall recommend for the supplies? Just give me any info yall think could be useful. Thanks

scourer over real pics of duck of the specific species you are mounting. Make sure everything is proportionate. Preen, preen and preen some more..

It could make the difference between this....

and this

Last edited by Smart; 12-10-2013, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Interesting topic.

Comment

Taxidermy.net has everything you can ask for and more, check em out

Comment

Dad gum those top two mallards are fugly

Comment

I tried it a couple years back but it wasn't for me... It was difficult and took lots of patience! If you really want the duck to come out nice looking you will need proper equipment and practice. Good luck!

Taxidermy.net is a great website learn from.

Comment

Just don't try to mount a duck in the water.....they will drown!

Comment

Originally posted by Crews View Post
                I tried it a couple years back but it wasn't for me... It was difficult and took lots of patience! If you really want the duck to come out nice looking you will need proper equipment and practice. Good luck!

Taxidermy.net is a great website learn from.
                Even this statement sounds risqué.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                  Lmao

Comment

Lmao.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                      Lmao

Comment

I make a cut long enough to peel the chest out down to the tail. Remove preening glands. Cut the neck at chest. Take the 1st piece of wing out single bone. Peel to back of skull and cut neck out. Cut the top to back of skull to expose skull. Clean brains and meat out of head/skull. Peel forward to bill. Scrape all fat off of the skinned hide. Wash in Tide. I use gasoline to remove the water. I wash bird in bucket of gasoline. Dry bird w/ plaster of paris. This will not set-up with gasoline. Dry w/ blow drier. I use 20 mule team borax thru the feathers and inside the skin repeatedly. Back-up rod works great for neck. A stiff wire can be placed thru the legs, wings and neck and anchored in body. Body, molding clay, and eyes can be bought at taxidermy supply. Sew up the 2 incisions in the bird and form into position. I hold feathers on wings in place w/ poster boards. Brush often to get feathers right. Paint bill and legs 10 days after bird dries out. Formaldehyde for the tips of the wings.

Comment

how much does one cost to mount?

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                            I make a cut long enough to peel the chest out down to the tail. Remove preening glands. Cut the neck at chest. Take the 1st piece of wing out single bone. Peel to back of skull and cut neck out. Cut the top to back of skull to expose skull. Clean brains and meat out of head/skull. Peel forward to bill. Scrape all fat off of the skinned hide. Wash in Tide. I use gasoline to remove the water. I wash bird in bucket of gasoline. Dry bird w/ plaster of paris. This will not set-up with gasoline. Dry w/ blow drier. I use 20 mule team borax thru the feathers and inside the skin repeatedly. Back-up rod works great for neck. A stiff wire can be placed thru the legs, wings and neck and anchored in body. Body, molding clay, and eyes can be bought at taxidermy supply. Sew up the 2 incisions in the bird and form into position. I hold feathers on wings in place w/ poster boards. Brush often to get feathers right. Paint bill and legs 10 days after bird dries out. Formaldehyde for the tips of the wings.
                            That should be plenty of information to get his first mount completed.

Comment

From what I've seen you just jump on her back and peck the back of her head.

Comment

Working...
                              X