Towing in tow haul mode or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing in tow haul mode or not

Question for the GS. When towing do you always use tow haul mode or does the situation dictate whether or not. For example I normally tow my 18’ bass boat 40-50 miles round trip to the lake. The boats gross weight is about 1800-1900 lbs depending on fuel and another estimated 600-700 lbs including the trailer. So let’s just say 2500 lbs. I’ve towed it both ways with my 2010 Ram 1500 5.7 and I lose 2-3mpg when in tow haul mode due to it not going into overdrive.

Is towing this without tow haul mode on detrimental to my transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats the truck?

Comment

Oops, nevermind...

Comment

2,500 pounds, I wouldnt use the tow/haul. Ive got an f250 and rarely use it unless Im at 11,000 pounds and then its just for help slowing down...

Comment

Put in tow haul and lock out 6th gear, keep from burning the OD. Yes, mpg will suffer but your trans will last much longer.

Comment

Was wondering this as well

Comment

I use tow haul when the truck struggles in overdrive. If it shift same and no problem in overdrive I don't use it.

Comment

I use tow/haul whenever I'm pulling anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                  Put in tow haul and lock out 6th gear, keep from burning the OD. Yes, mpg will suffer but your trans will last much longer.

That’s what I was told by a guy as well. Was curious if it was a consensus. I just had the trans rebuilt at 116k so I’m very cautious about ensuring I’m not straining it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use tow mode on my F150 whenever I tow, even when it’s just a utility trailer with a ATV. The slightly different shift points helpin getting up to speed. The one thing I don’t like is the engine brake when in the mountains. It is too aggressive and not smart enough. It down downshift too far or too early sometimes and is just a PITA. If I’m going to be in hills or mountains towing, I will put it in M and shift the gears myself.

Comment

They wasted money (mine) when they invented that. I never used it on any trucks, towed anything I wanted and never had transmission problems. YMMV

Comment

If my truck keeps having to downshift to maintain speed I put it in tow.

Comment

Does it tow better in tow/haul mode? If so, use it. If not, don’t. Most tow/haul modes work by adjusting the shift point higher. Ie the transmission holds gears longer so you hit the next gear with more engine speed. Some do more. In the 6.4 Hemi it disables the eco mode so you’re always running 8 cylinders. Others as noted incorporate engine or transmission braking. My general rule is to select tow/haul if the trailer weights 2500+ pounds. That’s not scientific. It’s just my swag. Your mileage may vary.

LWD

Comment

I never use the tow/haul on mine even when pulling my 30' travel trailer. I have a F150 with the 5.0l engine and 6 speed transmission. The truck has the tow package on it so it has an extra transmission cooler.

My truck auto detects the trailer is hooked up and self-adjusts to a tow mode. It changes the way it shifts but doesn't fully lock out of 6th. Doesn't get in 6th often though.

Comment

On vacation I played with the tow/haul button on my ‘17 half ton Hemi. With tow/haul engaged it would hold gears a bit longer and would downshift a bit sooner, but RPMs on the highway were the same as with it turned off. We had 4 adults and a child in the truck and enough luggage for 2 weeks. Seeing how I was the only guy, we had a LOT of luggage. I even monitored coolant temps, oil temps, transmission temp, and oil pressure and none of that changed regardless of the setting, even in the mountains.

Comment

Working...
                              X