What GPI for # of draw weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What GPI for # of draw weight?

Trying to quiet down my bow just a little bit. I have a Hoyt Turbohawk. The arrows I have now are Easton Flatline Surgical 7.4gpi with 100gr heads. My whole arrow weighs 335gr. I pull 70lbs. If my math is right that's right at
    4.78gpi per 1# of draw weight.
    What gpi per 1# do you prefer? I've heard 5-6.5 is light 6.5-8 is medium and
    8+ is getting into the heavyweights.

If that is the weight of your arrow, I hate to tell you but that is under what the warranty will cover. 5 grains per pound of pull is usually the minimum for warranty on most bows. I personally shoot 8 grains per pound, 70#'s and a 560 grain arrow. Forgiving, accurate and quiet.

Comment

i shoot 6.5 gr/# which i guess is midweight, its a good arrow for me.

Comment

I am not saying you need to go to the weight I am shooting, you just need to increase it to get it above the 5 grains per pound, probably somewhere between 6 and 7 grains.

Comment

Thats what i was thinking. They set me up like this at cinnamon. Said i'd "love" the speed. I pulled out some old 2315's and shot them. They feel much better. Time to sell some flatlines i think

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            If that is the weight of your arrow, I hate to tell you but that is under what the warranty will cover. 5 grains per pound of pull is usually the minimum for warranty on most bows. I personally shoot 8 grains per pound, 70#'s and a 560 grain arrow. Forgiving, accurate and quiet.
            What is arrow are you shooting?

Comment

Just doing a little math. For me to get up to 7.25gr# im going to need to find an arrow with around 13/gpi if i cut it to 27" shooting a 100gr tip and figuring on roughly 40g for vanes glue nock and insert.

Comment

You need to make sure you are adding in the insert, point weight , nock weight and fletching weight to get your total arrow weight. I am pretty sure that CCR did not set you up with arrows that are below your recommended weight for the Hoyt warranty to be voided. I shoot Gold Tip XT Hunter in 75/95 spine and with a 100 grain point, regular nock and insert and FOB's (heavier than most fletching) I was only at 410 grains with a 28" arrow so a set up like that would have you between 375 and 400 grains easily which would be fine for your set up.

Comment

Gen is over 8 gpp and im right at 8 gpp.

Gpi= grains per inch of the actual arrow.
                  Gpp= grains being pushed per pound of bow weight.

All that said i would shot for atleast 375 grains Plus.

Comment

A 7.4 GPI arrow cut to 28"' 100 gr tip and 40 gr back end comes up to 347.2 total arrow weight, or 4.96GPP. That is pretty close to 5. Turn your bow bown one turn to about 67-68 and you will be fine.

Beman ICS hunter 340 is 9.3 GPI so it would be fine. Gold tip hunter arrows are both over 8gpi so they would get you there also. There are a lot of different arrows that will get over the magical 5gpp and the flatlines were built as a speed shaft, primarily used for target shooting.

Comment

How are you getting to 8gpp? Look this math over and tell me if it's correct or not. Are you adding weight inside the shaft to get up to that?
                      70# draw X 8gpp=560gr finished arrow
                      blazer 6.1/ea, insert 16, nock 6, glue 6?, bh/fp 100=146.3
                      560-146.3(all components)=413.7 this is what the bare shaft should weigh, correct?
                      With the maximum length arrow of 32" I'd still ned a 12.92gpi arrow.
                      Even changing to a 125gr bh/fp i'd still need a 12.15gpi arrow.

Comment

Lol. They make all kinds of different weight arrows.

Also i miscalculated mine. Im at 7.2 grains per pound.

Comment

420 gr arrow

6.8 gpp

Comment

I'm shooting about 6.2gpp

My total hunting arrow weight is right about 405 grains, shooting 65 lbs

Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak 350 arrows @ 28" (8.3gpi)
                            Nockturnal nock
                            3 - Blazer vanes
                            100gr Slick Trick Magnum broadhead

It's been working pretty good for me for a couple years set up like this.

Comment

My 8 grains per pound is achieved with a standard 28" Gold Tip XT Hunter in 75/95 spine with a regular insert, 100 grain point, 5" wrap and FOB's. My secret is the 150 grains of Gold Tip insert weights at the front to give me the 560 grains with a FOC over 18%!

Comment

Working...
                              X