School me on Anderson County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Anderson County

Looking to buy land in the near future. The goal is to have 50-125 acres close to halfway between DFW and Houston at a decent price point. My researching efforts have landed my to look at Anderson County.

Seems to be a good price point per acre, location I am looking for, and good mix of land for multi-use (hunting, fishing, family, etc).

Those who live in, hunt in, or have land in Anderson - what are some things to know/look for? Decent deer in the area?

Some concerns thus far are oil/gas complications (freestone co next door is full of gas wells/leases), chicken farm odor, flooding along trinity/neches, neighbors who are not management minded....

Thanks in advance.

I grew up & still hunt Anderson Cty basically in between Athens & Palestine. Depends on the specific location as far as deer quality. We are not far from eastern boundary of Gus Engeling WMA. Have seen decent deer quality around it. Also, in the Cayuga area I have seen some decent deer quality. As you go east to southeast of Palestine (Neches, Slocum areas) I personally think the deer population gets better. Other than that, it’s great country but of course I’m a little bias.

Comment

I have land for sale in Anderson County. Pm me if interrested. Area is great, lots of wildlife easy access. Been down there for 35 yrs and it is so easy to get there from our home in Dallas. No deer down there though as it is East Texas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not wanting to pull the plug quite yet, but thanks for the info. Seems to be a good location, just wanted to hear opinions from the green screen

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
          I grew up & still hunt Anderson Cty basically in between Athens & Palestine. Depends on the specific location as far as deer quality. We are not far from eastern boundary of Gus Engeling WMA. Have seen decent deer quality around it. Also, in the Cayuga area I have seen some decent deer quality. As you go east to southeast of Palestine (Neches, Slocum areas) I personally think the deer population gets better. Other than that, it’s great country but of course I’m a little bias.
          All true.

I would try to find some property bordering or near some of the large hunting clubs on the Neches. And definitely think closer to 125 acres vs. 50. You'll never wish you had less.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with purchasing land too close to one of these large chicken farms and have a terrible odor year round?

Comment

Hunting land in East Texas is all about location, location, location. We have 300 acres in Houston County, and see maybe 15 different deer on cameras. Move across the HWY to my uncles place that is about 1/2 mile closer to the river and you can see 2x-3x the number of deer. I would be looking for something with a good "river" bottom type system as that area tends to attract and hold more deer than the upland type stands. I also would want to look for something closer to 100 acres at min if you want a little more consistency in your deer.

Comment

I have noticed some tracts are either solid pine, or river bottom hardwoods. A good mixture is what I am looking for.

Comment

If deer quality is a big motivation, then I agree with Canny on finding good bottomland along large creeks or rivers. We are not far from catfish creek which runs through the heart of Gus Engeling WMA. East of us is Beaver Creek that crosses HWY 19 just north of Montalba. I know of a buck killed nearby that was a stud. Like I mentioned you go east/ southeast of Palestine and you have Neches river bottomland. Our place has a good mix only because my dad planted pine trees years ago. Probably going to get more into pine tree mix the more east you go. Our place & most of the areas I’m familiar with is hardwoods. Good luck on your find

Comment

I don't know much about it other than hunting Gus Engeling a few times (and it was tough), that place in Tenessee Colony where that guy murdered all those people was supposed to be fantastic deer hunting, think that was one of the motives because his family sold the place and he was mad.
                    Last edited by bossbowman; 11-14-2018, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AgTag23 View Post
                      I have noticed some tracts are either solid pine, or river bottom hardwoods. A good mixture is what I am looking for.
                      In east TX you are going to have one or the other. Hardwoods are by the creeks and rivers and everything else is going to be pine, but if your budget is big enough you can have both.

Comment

Originally posted by AgTag23 View Post
                        Does anyone have experience with purchasing land too close to one of these large chicken farms and have a terrible odor year round?
                        Got friends that live off FCR 301 and they have a Sanderson Farm chicken operation next door to them. It stinks very bad. I rarely stay long when I visit.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                          Got friends that live off FCR 301 and they have a Sanderson Farm chicken operation next door to them. It stinks very bad. I rarely stay long when I visit.
                          And that is exactly what I am trying to avoid. Would hate to throw down cash on a place only to have a permanent lingering odor

Comment

That smell might get you a discount.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                              That smell might get you a discount.
                              That is true. And you certainly wouldn't have to worry much about your clothing being scent free.

Comment

Working...
                              X