Need ammo suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need ammo suggestions

Just purchased a Kimber 8400 chambered in 300 Win Mag and I put a Leupold VX5 on it. I got it for hunting out in Sonora and making some longer shots on aoudad and axis while still not overwhelming a white tail or two. My question is what factory ammo would be best or which ones to shoot and try out. From my limited research, I was leaning toward 180 grain ammo but I know a lot of you guys really know that way better than I. I appreciate any of your insights.

Can’t go wrong with a Nosler Accubond or Partition. If you were to entertain going heavier in a factory load I’d vote for the Hornady 200gr ELD-X factory load.

jrg

Comment

Thank you jrg.

Comment

You won’t go wrong with the 180 Accubond but there’s lots of options. For longer range I’d look at the 200 accubond though I don’t know if it’s loaded in factory ammo. I’m partial to the Barnes ttsx. You can get the 150 going pretty fast out of a 300 Win Mag.

LWD

Comment

Yes vote for Nosler Accubond

Comment

Really appreciate the assistance guys.

Comment

If you’re shooting fairly long range check out the hornady eldx 212gr. Pretty good bc and lots of knock down power at extended ranges. I’ve been shooting them of my 26” barrel hells canyon and have been pleased.

Comment

For axis I’d go light and fast with high weight retention like a ttsx in 300 wm. Aoudad eldx or nosler partition would still be a lot but it doesn’t matter quite as much.

Comment

an interesting question. I too was looking for it

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                    You won’t go wrong with the 180 Accubond but there’s lots of options. For longer range I’d look at the 200 accubond though I don’t know if it’s loaded in factory ammo. I’m partial to the Barnes ttsx. You can get the 150 going pretty fast out of a 300 Win Mag.

LWD
                    At the end of the day, you want to pick a round that groups the best & This is how I would lean as well...if you can get the 150ttsx to group well, you got a laser with lots less recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      At the end of the day, you want to pick a round that groups the best & This is how I would lean as well...if you can get the 150ttsx to group well, you got a laser with lots less recoil.
                      Well said....let accuracy decide!

jrg

Comment

Really appreciate all the input. I’ll definitely give those ttsx and accubonds a try

Comment

Working...
                        X