Canadian hunt Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian hunt Question

I am going to Canada on a hunt in September. For those of you who have hunted there, what did you do with your animals after kill. Did you have a local taxidermist mount it there and shipped back? I am flying so I do not know if they can be flown back. I am hunting moose, elk and deer so hopefully I will have a big one or two to bring home. Advise appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a local taxidermist ship the hides back salted and dried(moose/elk) to your favorite local taxidermist. The deer cape can be frozen and taken as baggage. Talk to your airline carrier to find out what it takes to bring the antlers and meat home as freight or cargo. Alaska Air does this, other airlines do as well.

Comment

What province? I've hunted up there a bit, BC and AB have different regulations.

Comment

Not sure about flying because we drove. Specifically so we could bring home moose meat. We boned out and cut ours into 1-2 pound pieces in our outfitters garage, wrapped it in freezer paper put it in a chest freezer in the back of my pickup and froze it on our way back home. Brought the antlers and cape back as well. The cape in an ice chest, antlers in the back of the truck. Awesome trip!

Comment

On our mule deer hunt we froze the two hides the night before. Bought a cooler and checked it as extra baggage. The horns we split the skull caps and layered our bags with clothes one side of antlers clothes other side then more clothes. No problem at the airport just a little paperwork. They didn’t even check anything. I just wasn’t wild about leaving anything up there and trusting someone to ship it to me when THEY got ready. I saw some work their local taxidermist did and really didn’t want to go that route. I don’t think the hides would be a problem, just freeze and buy coolers. It’ll cost you at the airport but it’ll be better than never seeing them again. As far as the antlers, I’m not sure about the elk or moose

Comment

Going to be hunting in Alberta

Comment

We flew out of Calgary

Comment

Although I'm a transplanted Canadian, I have no advice for you on how to bring back. I can say, if you haven't eaten elk or moose, definitely try to bring some meat back. Both are substantially better (in my opinion) then deer. A good moose steak is hard to beat.

Comment

I am starting to think I need to drive even though it would add a couple days and a few dollars to the trip. Is it a pain to bring the meat back across

Comment

Only been bear hunting there twice. Both times brought the hide, skull and meat back in a cooler on the plane. The freeze it solid and just check the ice chest. It will be over weight so you will pay extra but that's up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                      Going to be hunting in Alberta

Are you hunting mule deer or whitetails? Are you going with an outfitter or are you hunting public land? I'm looking into making a mule deer hunt up there so I'm very interested in this thread.
                      Last edited by CalcasieuTiger; 05-02-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X