Is Integrity a thing of the past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
    Did you require your employees to bring you breakfast and tell you how much they appreciated you giving them the opportunity to work for you?

If don't give 2 weeks notice you are not honest?

I get the whole ‘he started the business and took all the risk’ because I’ve started my own before. When I started mine I took a week vacation, went to Mexico then came back and got rolling. I made my employer a hell of a lot more money than he made me. He didn’t owe me anything and I didn’t owe him anything. We were competitors too when I started mine and I took a whole lot of his business.

I’ve never asked for a raise in my life although I’ve gotten plenty of them. I agree on a starting salary and if I’m worth it then I’ll get the raise. If not, then I’ll take a better opportunity if it presents itself. I haven’t had many jobs either and plan on retiring at the one I’m at now.

I meant to quote River Rat, but I’m not retyping that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have given 2 weeks notice twice and worked them both after being offered more money to stay each time. (That really ****** me off to be offered more only after they realize you are leaving.) If I ever change jobs again I would give notice but I will be fully prepared to walk out that day with all of my personal items if that is how they want it to be as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        So screw someone first if there's a chance they may screw you at some point in the future! Glad I could learn something from this thread.

Maybe a lot of you making the excuse that the employer is the bad guy work for McDonalds or Sonic. I think the OP is talking about people with real jobs. When you do something meaningful it can be disruptive if you quit without notice.

I think we can all agree that txt'n your quitting is not the proper way to handle the situation. The whole two week notice can be dealt with in many ways by the employer.

Employees get sick, die, take time off and while being disruptive thinks get taken care of. I have never heard of a company shutting down because somebody walked one day.

I worked in IT for years. I can't tell you how many layoffs I had to witness.
        I can guarantee the company doesn't give a **** about kicking you out the door without any notice. I get that business is business and there's no pretty way to do it.

There was one young gal that was preggo. She and her husband had been saving for years to buy a new home. Trust me everybody in the office knew about it. They found one they could barely afford but had a closing date. Word had spread through the grapevine that they didn't want any baby stuff because her sister had everything she needed but was afraid to ask for money. Some of the gals got her some stuff and the rest pitched in cash. She announced at the party they were closing Friday. They closed.

Monday am we get the layoff list. Her name was first on the list. I almost puked. I find out later the layoffs were supposed to happen the prior Monday. That made it even worse. They ended up losing the house because she couldn't get back to work after having her baby.

Not one manager, supervisor or HR (who all knew/were at the party) had the common decency to warn her that closing on the home was a bad idea since she wasn't going to have a job on Monday.

Life goes on...

Comment

Integrity is a persons on choices. I think intergrity is still intsct

Comment

Is Integrity a thing of the past?

Originally posted by JHT View Post
            I think we can all agree that txt'n your quitting is not the proper way to handle the situation. The whole two week notice can be dealt with in many ways by the employer.

Employees get sick, die, take time off and while being disruptive thinks get taken care of. I have never heard of a company shutting down because somebody walked one day.

I worked in IT for years. I can't tell you how many layoffs I had to witness.

I can guarantee the company doesn't give a **** about kicking you out the door without any notice. I get that business is business and there's no pretty way to do it.

There was one young gal that was preggo. She and her husband had been saving for years to buy a new home. Trust me everybody in the office knew about it. They found one they could barely afford but had a closing date. Word had spread through the grapevine that they didn't want any baby stuff because her sister had everything she needed but was afraid to ask for money. Some of the gals got her some stuff and the rest pitched in cash. She announced at the party they were closing Friday. They closed.

Monday am we get the layoff list. Her name was first on the list. I almost puked. I find out later the layoffs were supposed to happen the prior Monday. That made it even worse. They ended up losing the house because she couldn't get back to work after having her baby.

Not one manager, supervisor or HR (who all knew/were at the party) had the common decency to warn her that closing on the home was a bad idea since she wasn't going to have a job on Monday.

Life goes on...

Integrity is an individual thing. If a person at a company conducts business like that regularly, word will get around they will have a hard time hiring quality employees. That street goes both ways. If an individual gets a reputation of job hopping with no notice then they will eventually be unable to find a job with a quality employer.

At the end of the day if you treat folks like you’d like to be treated then you can know that you did the right thing. You are the only one I control of your choices and actions. You can’t control the choices or actions of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Maybe a lot of you making the excuse that the employer is the bad guy work for McDonalds or Sonic. I think the OP is talking about people with real jobs. When you do something meaningful it can be disruptive if you quit without notice.
              Sonic? You really know how to talk out of your backside sometimes. This was the engineering department of one of the largest oilfield service providers in the world. And the whole idea of people "owing" some globocorp is total BS.

This is a capitalist society, the employer and the employee have a contract that lays out a fair exchange of labor for money. If the employer feels the employee's labor is no longer worth the expense, they're free to nullify the contract and walk said employee out the door. If the employee feels that their labor is worth more than the money they receive, then they're free to nullify the contract and walk out the door on their own.

Now that being said, if a company has legitimately taken care of you (as in gone above and beyond a simple exchange of labor for money), then yeah, the dignified thing would be to let them know you've received a job offer, give them the chance to counter, and if you can't come to an agreement, give them your 2-week notice.

Comment

I’m not sure where the two weeks notice came from on this thread. We would have appreciate it but understand it is not always possible. I would however expect common curtesy such as a debriefing. If you work a generic manual labor job it’s not that big a deal to give a debriefing. However when you hold a technical roll with many irons in the fire it’s just the right thing to do. Not doing so really puts the screws to fellow employees trying to make heads or tails of what you were working on. He knew my long range plans for him and obviously found what he felt was a better carrier path to go down. I wish him luck.
                Last edited by sharkhunter; 05-02-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                  Did he ever say. I am looking at another position that pays better?
                  Would you have tried to keep him by giving him a raise?
                  You employed him. He owed you that oppurtunity.
                  Just up and leaving with a text and not telling you in person.
                  Lack of Integrity from him. I say yes.
                  I was never givin the opportunity to do anything lol ! He gone!

Comment

Update: Looks like my trusted employee helped himself to some of the company equipment on the way out the door. No way it was taken by anyone else he was the only one with access at the time it came up missing. No way to prove it in court though and it’s under 1k so not worth the time to mess with it. Hard for me to believe I trusted this guy so much. He has a family and is a baseball coach and he can add thief to that resume. Just unbelievable!

Comment

I have about 60 direct reports right now. About half of them are decent employees. The others are just taking up space. It's frustrating. Hard to motivate people that don't care about a career or long term employment.

Comment

Is integrity dead? Not anymore than man's free will is. Since the beginning it's been a choice. Let's not condemn all men based on the actions of one. That said, this individual doesn't respect the unwritten employee / employer code to give reason and notice of quitting. My advice is don't let this person's actions influence your attitude towards next employee.

Comment

Working...
                        X