Hunting Pistols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Pistols

My F-I-L and I think we want to give a go of hunting with pistols. Pretty much ready to go buy a couple of TC Contenders but I've been doing some interweb research and reading and I see a lot of ppl going to the 10mm road, and revolver road with 41 mag, 44mag, 357 mag, and all the BIGGER rounds as well. I would like something to poke out to 100yds, so I like the rifle rounds in the TC's. Do any of you fine gentlemen have any thoughts, words of wisdom, and/or advice?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This year I'm going to to hunt some with my old 357. I don't practice out to 100 but from time to time I shoot at a stump on the back of my tank at about 80 yds. When I miss it it ain't by much. I plan to keep it to around 50 or less

Comment

I had a TC Contender in 7x30 Waters. I killed a couple of bucks with it and it worked fine. My shots were about 100 yds. I hunted a lot with revolvers also. Took deer with the .357 Mag, 44 mag, and 45 Long Colt. I never was satisfied with the blood trail you get with the pistol calibers, but that was years ago. I think some of the new better expanding bullets probably work better.

Comment

Ruger Bisley Hunter .41 Mag 7.5 in 6rd Stainless with a 2X Weaver pistol scope. If you can find one

Comment

I have a TC encore pistol in .308. It is a handful and if I were to do it again I would get the barrel chambered in .30-30. But as it is it shoots awesome out to 200 yards if you do your part. I have killed 4 animals with it so far 2 does, a buck, and a big pig ranges from 45 yards out to 125 yards. It likes the federal fusion 150gr. And always bring ear plugs with you as these things are LOUD.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

TC pistol chambered in 300blk

Comment

I killed some deer with my TC Contender in .30 Herrett. Then I decided if I'm going to hunt with a pistol, then it's going to be a revolver so now I hunt with one of my .44 Rem Mags or .454 Casulls.

Comment

For a straight hunting pistol, the TCs are hard to beat IMO. I've killed deer with a .44 and a .41 and the deer didn't know the difference. I've also killed them with a TC .375 Win and a .260 Remington. My eyes ain't good enough for irons anymore past bow ranges but a scope is the great equalizer. TCs are made in many standard calibers and if you want something unique, you can probably get that too. I just sold my .260 Rem on here about a month ago and it was a fine shooter. The first Contender I ever owned I bought used with a 30-30 barrel. I wish to hell I'd kept it. It was truly a one holer at 100 yards and that was with a red dot scope. One thing about the TCs though, they aren't handy to tote. You can't exactly sling them like a rifle, and a bandelier holster is awkward also, but that's a minor nuisance. I think you'd be happy with an Encore in .270, 7-08, .308, etc. Good luck !

Comment

I’m no expert but I have used my S&W 686 in a 357 to take 2 culls last year. Both were 30-40 yds. It’s tougher with open sight. If I wanted to shoot 100 yds with a scope I’d just use my rifle, but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any of the TC's are a good choice, but if you can find a Remington XP100 get it. I shot my 30-30 Contender and my XP 7-08 out to 200 yards in competition. If you reload, even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      For a straight hunting pistol, the TCs are hard to beat IMO. I've killed deer with a .44 and a .41 and the deer didn't know the difference. I've also killed them with a TC .375 Win and a .260 Remington. My eyes ain't good enough for irons anymore past bow ranges but a scope is the great equalizer. TCs are made in many standard calibers and if you want something unique, you can probably get that too. I just sold my .260 Rem on here about a month ago and it was a fine shooter. The first Contender I ever owned I bought used with a 30-30 barrel. I wish to hell I'd kept it. It was truly a one holer at 100 yards and that was with a red dot scope. One thing about the TCs though, they aren't handy to tote. You can't exactly sling them like a rifle, and a bandelier holster is awkward also, but that's a minor nuisance. I think you'd be happy with an Encore in .270, 7-08, .308, etc. Good luck !
                      Thats awesome. I would really like one chambered in .270 since that is what caliber my deer rifle is chambered in, I also have a 30-30, so one chambered in that is also a great possibility. I am not to worried about how well it is carried. I primarily bow hunt anyways, and it will be carried in my pack at all times. However, if the opportunity presents itself past bow range, then the pistol will be ready. During general season that is!!.

Comment

TC Super 14 in custom chambered .300 Savage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shurshot View Post
                          I’m no expert but I have used my S&W 686 in a 357 to take 2 culls last year. Both were 30-40 yds. It’s tougher with open sight. If I wanted to shoot 100 yds with a scope I’d just use my rifle, but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Nice shootin'! I do own a couple of 357 mags unfortunately they are CC pistols and with those short barrels im good out to 20-25yds. Haha, with my rifle, its a one and done. So thats why I want to try a pistol now.

Comment

I have a TC in 7-30 waters with Leupold base/rings with a 3x9 Buriss I am thinking about letting go. I have some ammo & reloading dies

Comment

Not an expert but I have a Ruger Redhawk .44mag with a red dot and a Ruger Blackhawk .41mag with iron sights...... I prefer the .41 mag and hunt from my bow ladder stands or stillhunt
                              Lots of fun

Comment

Working...
                              X