No announcement yet.

Harley vs Yamaha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve owned tons of bikes of all kinds and 4 different Harley Davidsons. Including. StreetGlide RoadGlide Ulta Dyna. I will tell you this. Harley is not popular because of the “name”. Harley’s have balls and power. They are built solid and powerful. If you buy anything else you will spend your life with non Harley syndrome always wishing you had one. They are what the are lived up to be as long as you get the right one that fits you and your riding style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The motorsickle I had the most fun with was a 1967 HD FL. I bought it from a lady whose husband was in the joint. It was sitting in a field behind her trailer house. It sounded like it was going 200 mph but speedometer said 50. Lol. I paid 1800.00 for it , rode it for a year and sold it for 4500.

Comment

Yamaha hands down. Rode both, never been more disappointed than I was on a Harley. And I lived in WI, where Harley's are kind of a bid deal, with the whole MFG plant being there and all. I wanted to like it, but facts are facts, and they under-perform in every category.

My buddy had a Yamaha something or another, and for a cruiser that thing was faster than just about every other bike out there. The only thing he couldn't keep up with was me on a sport bike.

Harleys have their place, and I respect them for that. But I wouldn't own one if reliability and performance/power are what you are after.

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
          Ive never owned one but Harley cant figure out how to keep them running at idle still. You have to keep revving them at a stop light just to keep them from dying
          Mine runs just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
            Radar Seen the new model this year ??

As a guy that owns a harley shop I would tell you this all makes , models have issues . For every forum board where they are upset of this issue with this brand,.. you can type in the next brand and see it all over again .

Resale on a HD is not at all great . If you do the math in % you will see its nothing to jump for joy for .

If you want the V twin rumble and the lumbering road sofa pick up a used HD .

Have you looked at the Indians ?? always an option as well , I tune them and do minor work on them , most that buy them do not do much other than install mufflers and ride them

just want to ride once or twice a month , not really caring if you own a HD or not I would suggest you get an import .
            What shop do you have? I live in Weatherford and grew up in Keller where my folks still live. I'm back and forth between the two quite a bit.

Comment

I never owned but one Japan brand and it was a Honda XL125. I got a Kawasaki Mule now and like it real well.

Comment

I have rode both; Harley & Yamaha. That's all I have rode for years.
                It is a different ride between the two and they don't even handle the same, therefore, it is what ever feels the best to you or fits you better.
                They were both excellent bikes for me and with no complaints with either one.
                But if you want a cruiser on the highway and for comfort, you can't beat the Honda Goldwing. That is all my Dad and Brother would ride....is a Honda.
                I have rode a many of mile on the Honda Goldwing as well...it is a relaxing ride.
                My 2 cents worth......good luck with whichever you decide!!

Comment

Yamaha, Honda, BMW.. Anything but a Harley

Comment

Back in the day we made all of the Texas county seats and took pictures of every courthouse. I don't remember the name of the group but it took several years for us to get it done.

I can say that two of us rode Harleys and two of us Kawasaki KZ 1000 bikes.

The Harleys were always breaking down and having issues which caused us delays.

My .02 cents worth. It's been a while, maybe things have changed but that was my experience back when I rode.

Comment

Buy you a Yamaha V-max and get both. Harley let Yamaha have this one that Moco never produced except the prototype. When Yammie brought it out it was the V-max. It is one badd scoot. http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...0Prototype.htm
                      Remember Yamaha Venture? Here's the predecessor https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...va-look-might/
                      Last edited by muzzlebrake; 08-16-2018, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                        What shop do you have? I live in Weatherford and grew up in Keller where my folks still live. I'm back and forth between the two quite a bit.
                        Gmr Performance

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          My last bike was a Yamaha Road Star 1700cc. It would outrun all my friends Harley's. I put 97,000 miles on that bike before selling it to another TBH'er. Never had any issues with it at all. I love both, but Harley Davison is more of a brand name than anything. They still make great bikes, but I believe Yamaha is the most dependable, best performing motorcycle for the money.

Hell yes, had a RoadStar 1600, put 40k on it in 3yrs. Rode it to Florida, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Kentucky, all over Texas and Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, Mi’ssippi, everywhere. Never saw a mile on a trailer.

Yamaha’s reputation is what it is for a reason. Motorcycles, outboards, ATVs. All rock solid.

Comment

Between HD and Yamaha......
                            Honda......

Comment

One of my very good friends restores and works on Yamaha's as a hobby. Custom paint jobs, ect. Does some great work, and makes a little money at it.

He rides a Harley...

Comment

I owned two HD's, a Heritage Softail Classic and a Roadking Classic. I got bit by the Harley bug back in the mid 90's when it was "the thing" to ride a harley. That was back when you had to special order your bike because everything on the showroom floor was sold and you could not get your hands on one.
                                Today, you can go into any dealership and buy any model of any color because they have them in stock and on the floor. The younger generation is not interested in them like previous generations were and in my opinion, a lot of that harley mystique and allure has faded.
                                That being said, if you want to ride a harley (and by the way, they are ver reliable bikes today), you can pick up a late model, low mileage used one for a very good price. They are a dime a dozen on the used market.
                                After riding bikes since I was a kid, if I were to get another bike today it would probably be a BMW GS so I could leave the pavement with my flyrod, sleeping bag and tent to ride miles into the back country on the two tracks. I have to say the best overall quality bike I ever owned was a BMW road bike I travelled all over the western US on back in the late 80's and early 90's.
                                All the manufacturers make good and reliable bikes. Get the one that fits you ergonomically and your riding style and don't worry about what it says on the side of the gas tank.

Comment

Working...
                                X