The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patton View Post
    Laid out and packed everything last night. The ‘community’ items we have to split are the first aid kit (medium Kifaru), water filter (Sawyer/dirtybag, not pictured) and cook system (JetBoil Flash, not pictured). Rain pants aren’t pictured and will be a pre-hunt decision on whether to pack or not. Still need to finalize my meds and possibly get some knockoff crocs because mine are over 1lb. Sitting right around 27lbs(bow included) before food/water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've made the mistake of not taking my rain pants before. They will be in the pack every trip for the rest of my life no matter what the weather says.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      Stone Glacier literally makes a holster for your water bottle that fits great with their packs. It has retention also. I run it with my pack
      Good point. The problem is I have a spotter/tripod on one side, and a rifle on the other. The photo on SG website shows it mounting right where the rifle sling would be. How adjustable is it?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        Good point. The problem is I have a spotter/tripod on one side, and a rifle on the other. The photo on SG website shows it mounting right where the rifle sling would be. How adjustable is it?
        Ohhh not sure about that I don’t use the rifle sling. It can mount on either side though

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          It can be put under your arm/pit. Shouldn’t interfere with Tripod.

Now for a belt attach system, kifaru makes best holder. It stays open and is stiffer. You will have to use paracord or interlink the k clips though, since it’s made for pals.

Think I have tried four different version from outdoorsmen to random eBay, kifaru is the best for a belt attachment, but I have considered the stone glacier one for water bottle and kifaru for bugle tube or vs versa
          Last edited by Texans42; 08-13-2018, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Anybody tried Next Mile Meals? Gonna stay mostly low carb on my hunt but probably not strict keto.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
              Anybody tried Next Mile Meals? Gonna stay mostly low carb on my hunt but probably not strict keto.

I packaged up some of my own meals.

Kd350 had some Steel Force 150s shipped to me to test!

Thanks for the kind gesture!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Fed Ex says my new Mystery Ranch Selway is on the truck for delivery.

Comment

Man all you guys getting ready to hunt has me jealous

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Where did you source the bags Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                      Where did you source the bags Michael?

It seems you need at least 4mm bags to cook in bag. Anything less will likely melt.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
                        Not really a back country gear question but does anyone use a daypack size pack that has a rifle holder?

I like taking an AR to the stand for hogs and want to carry attached to my pack and still carry my bow. I’ve seen a few but I’m not looking for a huge pack.

badlands My day light pack is the Diablo Dos it is set up for a rifle but you can buy a bow holster as well . Great pack . The sling comes in many of their packs

The Badlands Bow Boot is a must-have for hands-free bow transportation. Clip it to any Badlands pack, slip in your bow, and tighten the straps.

The Badlands Rifle Boot is the must-have item for hands-free rifle carrying capability. Clip it on, slip in your rifle, and simply tighten the straps.

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                          Got my food for 4 days packed up. I’ll be out for 5 so here’s to hoping i catch some fish or kill something ��

The tuna is great bear bait just saying. you may gather unwanted attention with it.
                          Last edited by HDWRENCH; 08-14-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                            37 is were I'm at 100% loaded with food, water and bow attached for 7 days.
                            You travel light for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Kd350 had some Steel Force 150s shipped to me to test!

Thanks for the kind gesture!

I’d love to see a video of your dehydrated meals. Been wanting to try it out.

Comment

Let's talk water filtration systems....

I run a Sawyer Mini in-line with my Platypus 3L bag for my pack. I usually pull up to a stream/creek, scoop the bag full, and keep on.

Colorado's been dry this year, so I'm a little concerned about our usual water spots being viable. Last year the main water spot for the area we're going was barely a trickle and this year has been drier than last.

I've used the Katadyn Hiker pump in the past with decent results. Not a big fan of pumping but most likely bringing one this year in case I have to drink out of an elk wallow

What water pumps are you guys using? How to they hold up to abuse? Might have accidentally broken the handle on the Katadyn last year

Comment

Working...
                                X