Aransas NWR 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
    Actually they are a good many fire breaks that are cut and maintained by the refuge for their burn program. Each pasture along the shore line gets burned once every three years or so. Well unless the wind picks up or changes then the whole **** thing burns.
    I know they burn areas out there often. But I also know they do a lot of seismograph work out there, or at least used to often. Many times we hunted there years ago, there were fires smoldering. I have read there stories about how the Indians used to do burns to clear out the thick brush and create more grassy areas. Then the white setters did not do so when they took over and the areas along the cost that like the refuge, became over grown and very dense.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      I know they burn areas out there often. But I also know they do a lot of seismograph work out there, or at least used to often. Many times we hunted there years ago, there were fires smoldering. I have read there stories about how the Indians used to do burns to clear out the thick brush and create more grassy areas. Then the white setters did not do so when they took over and the areas along the cost that like the refuge, became over grown and very dense.
      For 100's of thousands of years grass fires from lightening strikes on the TX coastal plains would burn for weeks because there were no fire breaks(highways/roads) and no one was there to put them out. I'm pretty sure the Indians burned to control the mosquitoes.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
        You will struggle if you don't get in the air. Get a light one it will make the hunt much more enjoyable. It's worth spending to coin. Don't climb the trees lol I got a bad case of poison oak on my scout day. Good luck.
        Yikes! Last time I got poison oak it was so bad that my wife (girlfriend at the time) bought one of everything in the rash section at CVS. Tried each one in a different spot to see what worked best. Interestingly enough I found it helped to rotate between topical medicines as they seemed to lose their effectiveness after a day or two. Also cold showers.

Wish you the best with the family emergency.
        Last edited by MetalMan2004; 11-15-2017, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Where are you located?

I've been bowhunting the refuge for over 45yrs. You need at least a 6' tripod for the rifle hunt. I've got a light weight one you can borrow.
          Thats very generous of you. PM sent. Thats a way better deal than trying to climb a try (my original plan) where I hear there is poison oak waiting for me

This is supposed to be a budget hunt and I’m trying to walk the line beteween new equipment I need to make this hunt successful and spending too much dough to make it worth it.

Comment

The Aransas hunt is never a budget hunt, not unless you live near the refuge.
            Last edited by Thumper; 11-15-2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

The Aransas hunt is never a budget hunt, not unless you live near the refuge.
              Hunting is an expensive sport anyways so I guess its all relative.

Nice chatting with you on the phone. I'll touch base with you again soon.

Comment

Any update from the first day of scouting for rifle 2?

Comment

Deer should be moving.

Comment

My two boys and I got drawn for Dec. 9-13.
                    We have 2 pop up blinds. Hoping to find a fresh burnt area, or sendero to set up near. Taking the thermacells and spray, rubber boots, ect. Any other tips on this hunt this is our first public land hunt. Any info on places to stay down there. I have been working alot lately and haven't looked into hotels or camping yet. I have downloaded the rifle hunting area map from the refuge website, and looked at Google earth, but no ideas yet guess i will have to wait until scouting day. Any TBHers gonna be down there for the December hunt? Weather is looking to be cool with a chance of rain.
                    Any tips or info is greatly appreciated.

Mike
                    swbentrod@yahoo.com

Comment

Ok after my first experience on the Aransas NWR on Rifle Hunt 2, I have the following findings:

1. If you didn't bring a Thermacell, I feel bad for you! With that and 25% DEET I still lost blood.
                      2. If you didn't bring a tripod stand you will be limited on good spots. I didn't have one.
                      3. Be prepared for wind shifts. on Sunday and Monday it swung from north to south depending on time of day.
                      4. Get as far from the road as possible. See item 2.

After all that I managed to get a smaller male hog. I am very happy to get that. I should've noted the status board but on the first day there were 67 hunters and only 5 deer taken, 2 bucks. I saw a massive hog trotting down the road near Cow Camp and a bobcat on scouting day. That was cool. All in all a cool experience but I won't go back until I get a tripod.

Comment

Originally posted by SETXTransplant View Post
                        Ok after my first experience on the Aransas NWR on Rifle Hunt 2, I have the following findings:

1. If you didn't bring a Thermacell, I feel bad for you! With that and 25% DEET I still lost blood.
                        2. If you didn't bring a tripod stand you will be limited on good spots. I didn't have one.
                        3. Be prepared for wind shifts. on Sunday and Monday it swung from north to south depending on time of day.
                        4. Get as far from the road as possible. See item 2.

After all that I managed to get a smaller male hog. I am very happy to get that. I should've noted the status board but on the first day there were 67 hunters and only 5 deer taken, 2 bucks. I saw a massive hog trotting down the road near Cow Camp and a bobcat on scouting day. That was cool. All in all a cool experience but I won't go back until I get a tripod.
                        Different kind of hunting, ain't it? If you have never been there, your first trip, will basically be a scouting trip. Except for hogs, they can pop out anywhere any time. You might see some mosquitos also, some big enough to take down with your bow.

Comment

One week away from rifle 3 and I’m getting excited!

Comment

I’ll be camping at Hopper’s. I think I’m going to bring my mini Weber (its like 14” across) and cook a steak Friday night. Anyone that wants to join for dinner is welcome to bring some meat to throw on the coals. Just pm me your number if you’d like to do that or have an evening drink. I’m planning on being there for the whole hunt (unless I wuss out).

Comment

Did you ever hear about anyone having their tripod stolen from the hunt area? I'm bringing one but this is by far my biggest concern. Also, do I truly need the entire day to scout on scouting day? I'm doing some pre-scouting with OnX Hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordnorvelli View Post
                                Did you ever hear about anyone having their tripod stolen from the hunt area? I'm bringing one but this is by far my biggest concern. Also, do I truly need the entire day to scout on scouting day? I'm doing some pre-scouting with OnX Hunt.
                                I’d think the risk is lower than with most public land simply because there will be a max 100 people out there (probably less on some days) but it would still be a risk.

As for scouting, thats for you to decide. I plan in being out there as early as I can, which is mid-late morning to start the scouting. I may not need the whole day but if I end up needing it I’ll have it.

Do the OnX maps have more detail than Google? I realize OnX offers more in the way of gps features but was curious about the actual maps.

Comment

Working...
                                X