Where to hunt Turkey??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to hunt Turkey??

This will be my first year to Turkey hunt and I am looking for a place that has birds - I saw the video of the birds at LBJ - is that the place to go in the North Texas area? I have never hunted out there - any pointers? Thanks

GOSH DANGIT!!!!!!!! There are NO turkey at the LBJ Grasslands!!!!! It's all a myth furthered by use of photoshop. Deer Neither.

Dave in Denton

Comment

You might also try caddo national grasslands or the no mans land property on the red river, theres a post about it a few threads down.

Comment

There are Deer and Turkey at LBJ

I got them on video. I'll video tape again in the next three weeks. I video tapped deer crossing the road from private land too public hunting land. I took photos of Turkey again on private land same spot. LBJ Grasslands right now has water but not much. It looks like it needs a burn in a lot of places.

A lot of driving and leg work over two or three years helps a lot. I know where animals are a lot but there is no gaurantee. LBJ is right place right time period. Whether you know where they are or not.

You can't hog public land like it is own hunting lease.

In America 10% love hunting 10% hate it. 80% don't care. I got two friends and clients of mine into hunting. They never hunted before. I'm good for two lately. How about you guys? I got a LBJ hunting guide helping me out this next month for video photos only no hunting. In April I will ground check da gobblers on video.

Tool Master

Comment

I think everyone is mistaking the yard birds for turkey. I shot a Rhode Island red rooster out thyere thinking it was a turkey, wait or was it a white leggern, dang I can't remember. Any who, as you said each need to try and find their own game, work for it and you will feel better when you bag one.

Comment

Tool, that has been our running joke for a long time here on TBH about there not being deer or turkey out there. I personally have been going out there for over 8 years. Alot has changed. You are right, it is about being at the right place at the right time to score. The game know how to use the whole public land to private land travel to avoid any kind of pressure.

Texbow, there are turkey everywhere up there, then they have the ability to be swallowed up by the earth and disappear and be quiet. You generally will see NONE during deer season, then in the spring they are standing by the side of the road. Go figure. Lots of hunting pressure and lots of smart birds make for hard, but satisfying hunting.

Bring your A game!!!

Dave in Denton

Comment

I'm not use to people poking fun at my work or passion.

Thanks for clearing that up I'd hate cop an attitude at a stranger. The internet is a sanctuary for cowards somtimes. All mouth no action.

Originally posted by Buckfever View Post
              Tool, that has been our running joke for a long time here on TBH about there not being deer or turkey out there. I personally have been going out there for over 8 years. Alot has changed. You are right, it is about being at the right place at the right time to score. The game know how to use the whole public land to private land travel to avoid any kind of pressure.

Texbow, there are turkey everywhere up there, then they have the ability to be swallowed up by the earth and disappear and be quiet. You generally will see NONE during deer season, then in the spring they are standing by the side of the road. Go figure. Lots of hunting pressure and lots of smart birds make for hard, but satisfying hunting.

Bring your A game!!!

Dave in Denton

Comment

I shot my first turkey out there on opening day several years ago. Birds were fired up on private working towards me when 2 jack#^%$ walked right by me and just waved. Turkeys clammed up until they left. After they left, the longbeard strutted all the way in. The jack$&&#&* never knew they were there. That was unit #???? Just kiddin', you'll have to do your own legwork. Lot of hunters and wary birds after about hour 2 of the season.

Comment

The turkey out there are spooky. It does not take much to shut them up. When the woods are full of horses, hunters running and gunning, and all the others, the birds move to private lands that have little or no pressure pressure.

Dave in Denton

Comment

Working...
                  X