No announcement yet.

Is this xbow worth the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Barnett Recruit 150lb recurve with a good fixed blade is the Xbow I have and have shot deer with good results and very accurate

Comment

I bought this one for my youngest son for Christmas so were going to put it together when he opens it up. For the price point its not bad.

Comment

My dad has this crossbow and has taken a trailer load of critters with it.He has had it for a couple years now.I am not a crossbow guy but this one seems to be a steal for that kinda money.The one thing my dad did do different was upgrade the scope,the one that comes with it is low entry level at best.

Comment

I bought one of these this year, it is my first crossbow, and I have taken 2 deer from public land so far (only been out 5 times). As mentioned, there is another thread about crossbows, and from what I read there this crossbow is the best bang for your buck. Target shooting 20-30 yards I will only shoot dots, as the bolts will hit the same spot 3 out of 4 times. I haven't done any upgrades yet, but will replace the scope/sight and add limbsavers soon.

Comment

Best crossbow for the money. I used to work at Cabela's in Buda and we sold a ton of those and only had 2 come back because they were using excalibur bolts and basically dry fired it.

Stay as far away as possible from Barnett. We did COUNTLESS repairs on them. They are nothing but junk. Especially the Jackal which is the closest price to the Sniper 370

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
              This is false. I just bought this crossbow and it has guards that come out both sides of the hand rest so you cannot put your fingers or thumb on the rail. The reviews are awesome on this crossbow! The stock is adjutable and the grip up front is also. Barnett is owned by WGI so I would never buy one of those. Look up the thread on here "everything crossbow" and there is nothing but good things about this crossbow.
              Well, the content is in fact not false, but thanks to trying to make it that way.

From the pictures on that website that has it on sale, it only appears to have finger guards on the front hand grip. If that is how it is made, it would be fine for practice and with direct adult supervision. In a hunting situation where the adrenaline is pumping, all it would take is not grabbing the fore end correctly and there could be trouble. Unless you are saying there is a guard the entire length of the string travel?

Have you ever seen a finger removed by a crossbow? I have. It ain't pretty and it doesn't stick back very well if at all.

For my grandson I would want better protection. If you think it's ok for your kid, good for you.

The rest of the content of my post is irrefutable.

Comment

Have you held this bow yourself , I have it's more than adaqite for a young hunter unless he has a basketball players hands.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
                  Well, the content is in fact not false, but thanks to trying to make it that way.

From the pictures on that website that has it on sale, it only appears to have finger guards on the front hand grip. If that is how it is made, it would be fine for practice and with direct adult supervision. In a hunting situation where the adrenaline is pumping, all it would take is not grabbing the fore end correctly and there could be trouble. Unless you are saying there is a guard the entire length of the string travel?

Have you ever seen a finger removed by a crossbow? I have. It ain't pretty and it doesn't stick back very well if at all.

For my grandson I would want better protection. If you think it's ok for your kid, good for you.

/Bold mine. As I type this the xbow in question is sitting beside my laptop, I just got back from the Cabelas in Buda where I bought it. Trust me, if you manage to get your fingers cut off by miss-handling the fore grip on this bow it's due to user error not design error.

As far as the bow goes I was able to cock it, load and shoot it at the store before I bought it. Great bunch of guys there. Funny part was there were like 3 or 4 of the Snipers hanging when I got there and when I left there was only one, missing it's sling, left. Popular little harlot. Anyway it shoots very well. Dave had me run a couple through it and having never shot one I put the second shot into the same hole that the first went through from 12 yards. Kind of upsetting considering I can't do that with my recurve. Oh well, bought the bow for my lady so we can go hunting together and I think she'll do fine with it. To be honest I'll most likely end up buying one for myself.

God bless and happy hunting.
                  Richard.
                  Last edited by Junkers88; 12-18-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post

Maybe you should look closer at the bow on another site and research it before you knock it I feel 100% good about it and it's safety features. It actually looked alot safer than most of them I looked at. I have never seen one with a guard the whole length of the string rail as you mentioned? If you don't mind please post it up so I can look at it.

Comment

This crossbow has some good reviews on YouTube. I was actually thinking about getting a new one with increased FPS and this was one of them that I was considering. In the end, I decided to get a the Killer Instinct Furious. You can't go wrong with this one for the price point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not trying to take this off topic... but just glance at a mission craze. I think you, and him would get more enjoyment out of it. I just sold one for 200, they're not pricey used. Growing up I loved shooting with my dad, though I doubt I ever hit the target. Till I got my first compound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                          Maybe you should look closer at the bow on another site and research it before you knock it I feel 100% good about it and it's safety features. It actually looked alot safer than most of them I looked at. I have never seen one with a guard the whole length of the string rail as you mentioned? If you don't mind please post it up so I can look at it.
                          First of all, I didn't say "This is GOD!!! You must think like me!

I offered my 2 cent's worth, an opinion. This is from the advertisement for the bow in question copied directly:

RECOMMENDED FOR ADULT USE ONLY. MISUSE OR CARELESS USE MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH. READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING. ALWAYS KEEP HAND, THUMB AND FINGERS BELOW FLIGHT TRACK. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY.

Tenpoint, Barnett, The New Hortons, Raven, to name a few with effectively full length finger guards. You want to see them, you look them up.

I was offering my input (opinion) from my point of view placing the priority on shooter safety, especially since the bow is for a kid. If the shooter makes a mistake in the heat of the moment, and places his/her hand on the underside of the rail, missing the fairly short section of "handguard", the fingers can be removed permanently by the string impacting them at an incredible rate of speed. I personally don't put a dollar value on a kid's safety. There are much safer crossbows by design. That is my point.

I have noticed lately here it is becoming more like that big archery forum, where, when you try to offer some help or answer a question, you get jumped on. This place didn't used to be like that.

Comment

They are made by crossman which has been in business for ever I bought one and really like it never shot a crossbow before I did replace the scope though

Comment

The sniper is a great bow, and wp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry my phone jacked up when trying to post,
                                Either way the sniper is a great bow besides what some on here might think is very safe. The forearm is over sized making it near impossible if gripped properly to get you fingers in the flight path especially a small hand. My 7 and 12 year old have killed deer with a sniper 379 and have shot the center out of a target with it, trust me when I say it's the best crossbow for the money hands down , do they make faster ( yes ), do they make a bow bow with more precision machining ( yes ) do they make a safer bow ? At the end of the day it's treated like a rifle when it comes to safety , especially with young kids. I teach mine over and over about safety to a point that it's not about getting it right but to a point they won't get it wrong. Save yourself some money, buy a sniper, good arrows and enjoy time in the woods with the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X