No announcement yet.

Tent Camping - Family - First Time - Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good advise so far. We go to Garner every year and love it. IMO .. Old garner can get loud, where as new garner is quieter. For tent camping water only, persimmon hill is nice. Water and electricity , live oak camping area is hard to beat.
    Take games, color books, etc. for the little ones. If it rains, you need something to do inside.
    Don't overlook the screen shelters. Good to have if things go sour.
    Good luck and have fun.

Comment

I've think I've tried it all.....

I much prefer a cot over an air mattress - I have a Cabela's brand that I like. If it's just me, a hammock works fine. Buy an Eno, a separate rain fly, and the suspension system, and you can roll up and be sleeping in ten minutes.

I would also recommend separate tents for the kids.

We also have a Kelty screen room that makes a nice place to keep the kitchen stuff (or the kids)

put down a heavy tarp under the tent, and use the rain fly.

Inks lake is cool, but I like South Llano as well.

Comment

Thanks again everyone. I am doing my research based on the above suggestions. Keep them coming.

Comment

Me and my wife just started talking about this. She wants to take the kids campin. Me and my buddy went to huntsville state park in august. Hot as hell but i brought a window unit and we zipped it up in the tent door so it was ok at nigh. I agree especially with kids. Colder is better than the heat. Better for a fire and sleeping.

Comment

I would get an air mattress for the adults, and stacking cots for the kiddos, also, if you plan on camping in the summer, get a portable AC (not window unit) from Lowes/Home Depot, keeps the temps bearable during the day and cold at night!

Comment

My biggest tip: a great checklist.

A week or so before I decide to go camping I'll start a checklist of allllll the things I'll need and add on to it when I have new items come to mind. If you run out of ideas or things to add on, Google "camping checklist" for stuff you may not have thought of.

Then, make sure you follow it and don't forget items on your list!

Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Check out TPWD local events for parks in your area. The Brazos Park has Texas Outdoor Mastery class, but it appears the closest for you is Austin. They supply all the camping supplies and you just show up with food and bedding.

Comment

Another question for you guys...What kind of grill do you take camping? I have a Weber Jumbo Joe but have the opportunity to get a Weber Q portable gas grill for a good price. I prefer grilling over charcoal but see the advantage of using gas so you don't have to deal with charcoal/ashes. Any thoughts/input?

Comment

We tent camp every spring break and its alot of fun.

Air mattresses are awful IMO. They are loud when you move around the slightest bit. When your partner moves it wakes you up. We've owned 3 air mattresses...and then got smart . We bought some fold-able 3" foam pads off Amazon that are out of this world....great night sleep.

I would also bring some ear plugs too. You have all sorts of noises sleeping under the stars that you don't have at home....other campers, diesel trucks starting up, boats if you are on a lake, etc....

Portable fan is a good choice too.....you never know what the temp is gonna be.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                      Don't make me nervous. Kidding. Sort of.

Anyone else ever taken kids as young as 2 and 4 camping? If so how was it? Should I wait until they are older.
                      Taking kids camping is a workout and great fun all at the same time.

Take plenty of snacks! Kids will need a lot of snacks throughout the day; this is a good time to let them get sugared up and run it off in the great outdoors!

Take plenty of games! Kids will get bored easily, they don't always like just hanging out at camp, get bored fishing, don't want to go on hikes, etc. Good camping games would be Hive, Jenga/Tumbling Tower and card games like Uno or something. You DON'T want to take games with small pieces (like battleship) that are easily lost in the dirt/grass or have a lot of stuff that can blow away in the wind.

Take plenty of toys! Let the kids choose a few toys to take, something like two to three each; this will help stave off the boredom as well. I particularly like Frisbees and glow in the dark or lighted Frisbees' this way everyone can get involved in the play.

Take plenty of drinks! They will need it and will get tired of having just water; mix it up and let them have drinks they may not get normally at home. This will also help to instill in them a love for camping because it is a time when they get to "break the rules" a little bit.

As much as I love hammocks I would not take JUST hammocks on the first few trips. Maybe get a couple and have them hanging around for them to use during the day, or at night if THEY want to, but being together on the first trips will be a big benefit to them if they have never slept outside on their own.

Get a good wheeled tote or wagon. Kids require a lot of extra stuff, and making that trip to the swimming hole or fishing spot will be much easier with a nice wheeled tote.

Keep them comfortable, take plenty of bug spray, extra clothes, sleeping pads, chairs and such; there is nothing worse than a miserable child.

Keep the activities child focused! When you go fishing really be there for your kids, maybe even leave your pole in the wagon for the first hour or so. There is nothing so aggravating to me to see a child trying their heart out to fish and the parents are so concerned with their own fishing that the kid is having a terrible time.

Pack extra patience! Some children take to camping like a duck to water, others need more one on one time to get in the groove.

Have Fun! It's a camping trip not boot camp. Parents screaming at their children for stupid stuff all weekend not only ruins it for the kids but for their camp neighbors! let 'em cut loose a little bit, within reason of course, and take the time to address the sights, sounds and smells while teaching them about the potential dangers and the potential adventures the woods hold for them.

Lifejackets! if they can't swim take lifejackets for them. This way they can really enjoy the swim and, if you have one like mine who would for no apparent reason just run and jump in the river, it could save their life. Gage was real bad about sneaking off and getting into the water, so until he learned to swim he wore a lifejacket the whole time we were around water.

I also always assigned camp duties, like feeding the fire, or keeping the gear organized, just some small task; it helps them stay vested in the trip and gives them a sense that they are contributing to the whole adventure. Also use this time to teach them some basics, like everyone should know where the first aid kit is located and how to get to it when needed, teach some directions (like the bathrooms are North of our campsite), don't eat the dirt and stuff like that.

Leave the electronics/games at home!

Gage started going with me when he was 7 months old (when he started walking), so no, don't wait, get them out there now!

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                        Taking kids camping is a workout and great fun all at the same time.

Take plenty of snacks! Kids will need a lot of snacks throughout the day; this is a good time to let them get sugared up and run it off in the great outdoors!

Take plenty of games! Kids will get bored easily, they don't always like just hanging out at camp, get bored fishing, don't want to go on hikes, etc. Good camping games would be Hive, Jenga/Tumbling Tower and card games like Uno or something. You DON'T want to take games with small pieces (like battleship) that are easily lost in the dirt/grass or have a lot of stuff that can blow away in the wind.

Take plenty of toys! Let the kids choose a few toys to take, something like two to three each; this will help stave off the boredom as well. I particularly like Frisbees and glow in the dark or lighted Frisbees' this way everyone can get involved in the play.

Take plenty of drinks! They will need it and will get tired of having just water; mix it up and let them have drinks they may not get normally at home. This will also help to instill in them a love for camping because it is a time when they get to "break the rules" a little bit.

As much as I love hammocks I would not take JUST hammocks on the first few trips. Maybe get a couple and have them hanging around for them to use during the day, or at night if THEY want to, but being together on the first trips will be a big benefit to them if they have never slept outside on their own.

Get a good wheeled tote or wagon. Kids require a lot of extra stuff, and making that trip to the swimming hole or fishing spot will be much easier with a nice wheeled tote.

Keep them comfortable, take plenty of bug spray, extra clothes, sleeping pads, chairs and such; there is nothing worse than a miserable child.

Keep the activities child focused! When you go fishing really be there for your kids, maybe even leave your pole in the wagon for the first hour or so. There is nothing so aggravating to me to see a child trying their heart out to fish and the parents are so concerned with their own fishing that the kid is having a terrible time.

Pack extra patience! Some children take to camping like a duck to water, others need more one on one time to get in the groove.

Have Fun! It's a camping trip not boot camp. Parents screaming at their children for stupid stuff all weekend not only ruins it for the kids but for their camp neighbors! let 'em cut loose a little bit, within reason of course, and take the time to address the sights, sounds and smells while teaching them about the potential dangers and the potential adventures the woods hold for them.

Lifejackets! if they can't swim take lifejackets for them. This way they can really enjoy the swim and, if you have one like mine who would for no apparent reason just run and jump in the river, it could save their life. Gage was real bad about sneaking off and getting into the water, so until he learned to swim he wore a lifejacket the whole time we were around water.

I also always assigned camp duties, like feeding the fire, or keeping the gear organized, just some small task; it helps them stay vested in the trip and gives them a sense that they are contributing to the whole adventure. Also use this time to teach them some basics, like everyone should know where the first aid kit is located and how to get to it when needed, teach some directions (like the bathrooms are North of our campsite), don't eat the dirt and stuff like that.

Leave the electronics/games at home!

Gage started going with me when he was 7 months old (when he started walking), so no, don't wait, get them out there now!
                        Great info. Thanks.

Comment

Going camping in the summer ruined it for us. Just too miserable. I like it co0l...Feb-March is my favorite. Campfire, marshmallows, sleeping bags vs. sweat, mosquitoes, misery

I love South Llano state park out of junction.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                            Another question for you guys...What kind of grill do you take camping? I have a Weber Jumbo Joe but have the opportunity to get a Weber Q portable gas grill for a good price. I prefer grilling over charcoal but see the advantage of using gas so you don't have to deal with charcoal/ashes. Any thoughts/input?
                            I don't take grille; I usually use the grilles at the park with charcoal or I take a grate that I use over the campfire coals, I also have a full compliment of Dutch Ovens so we use them a lot.

Comment

I agree on the hammocks, but your kids have to be beyond the scared to be alone at night period to pull that off. We used to use an air bed for car camping, but it just eats the whole tent (too thick), but I snagged a decent 2 person camping mat with pump for $40 at Costco this weekend. Its no Exped, but it'll get the job done for the price. The magic times for families are early spring before the bugs come out and late fall when they go away.

Comment

Whatever you do, take some kind of padding to sleep on. Get one of those cheap Wallyworld propane grills (put it together in advance)....so easy to get going and cook on. You can use your car/truck floormats to lay out in front of the tent to knock off dirt etc. Plan to stake your tent down. Get some quality stakes beforehand. Bring folding chairs to sit on around the camp. Put your camping stuff in one of those big rubbermaid totes. You can organize your camping gear in the little rubbermaid thingys. Bring at least 2 different sources of flame to start your fires with. Duct tape is a great fire starter. Just wad some up and light it to get the fire started. A small roll of Christmas lights will light up your camp area if you have access to power. Those little solar shower bags work pretty well for cleaning off the younguns. And lastly....do not forget the toilet paper.

Comment

Working...
                                X