Rim downsizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rim downsizing

My son has a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. He is wanting to go from the stock 17” rims to 15” rims. Are there any issues doing this?

Just make sure they have the right offset and that it will clear the brake calipers. Clearing the brakes can be a issue going to a smaller wheel. Is he wanting a smaller wheel and a meatier taller tire?

Comment

I wouldnt think mechanically but i will say that there are a not a lot of tire choices in 15’s. My buddy owns a tire shop and said they will be extremely hard to come bu before long because nobody uses them anymore and 17-20” is the norm from the factory so thats what wheel mfgs make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've always followed my dads advice, don't change anything with the running gear. A reduction to 15's will probably impact your final gear ratio, speedometer, alignment, steering, etc. Not worth it to me, high-school boy may be a panty-dropper!

Comment

it shouldn't change much as long as the tire is similar size to the original. Now if you run 15s with a skinny tire they yeah, it will for sure affect everything.

I don't think 15s will fit unless you change the brake system to something smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post
            Just make sure they have the right offset and that it will clear the brake calipers. Clearing the brakes can be a issue going to a smaller wheel. Is he wanting a smaller wheel and a meatier taller tire?
            Yes, he is looking for more tire and less rims. Right now it is a 265/70/17 on the stock 17” rim. He is looking to go to a 15” rim with 33/12.50/15 tires. I just don’t want there to be any issues.

Comment

the 33 should be only about 1-1.5" taller than his 265 on a 15" wheel so I don't think you would see many issues. His speedometer will be about .5mph off.

The biggest issue will still be getting the 15s to clear the brake calipers especially in the front since they are typically larger.

Comment

Just get a metric sized tire close to a 33 for a 17" rim. There are conversion charts online. For example on my 16" wheels I've got 315 75 16's which are 34.5" tall. Save the money you'd dump on wheels that probably will make you grind the calipers and have the wrong offset or backspacing anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

15's won't fit the brakes are to big they hit the wheel ,I tried to put 16.5 wheels on my 03 2500 and they didn't fit so I seriously doubt 15's will fit on a 1500.

Comment

If he actually off-roads, he will find improved traction in mud, rock, sand, etc...pretty much all around. Big rims = never seen dirt.

Comment

15s Won't clear the brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
                        Yes, he is looking for more tire and less rims. Right now it is a 265/70/17 on the stock 17” rim. He is looking to go to a 15” rim with 33/12.50/15 tires. I just don’t want there to be any issues.
                        Can't you just throw a rim on and see if it fits? The rotors are only like 13", so as long as the caliper doesn't hang off more than an inch, hes good. Tires are far cheaper for a 15" rim than a 17" too, and looks better.

Comment

Said twice already but yes too small to clear brakes

A very affordable tire option for that truck is BFG mud terrain take offs from Jeep rubicons. Different size than the 265 but they end up being super close.

Comment

Working...
                          X