shotgun blew up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerp View Post
    It seems to me that if the wad hung up and didn't exit the barrel, the shot wouldn't have exited the barrel either. Wouldn't you be able to tell that something weird happened?
    The next shot blows the obstruction, which may be a stuck wad or whatever, out of the barrel. But not before the pressure spikes and you bulge or rupture the barrel.

Comment

I think if it had been a harder stoppage, like a 20 ga shell, you would see much more damage. Usually a bulge or split was an obstruction that was easier to blow out the end of the barrel.

Comment

wow. hope she is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
          Serious question- what would be the legal recourse here? Who would you sue and what kind of damages would you expect with no injuries?
          There isn't. But it doesn't matter. Time to sue. Couldn't have possibly been operator error. Someone has to pay.

Unfortunately, that is the thought process of way too many people today.

OP, glad your daughter is okay. Good life lesson from here out for sure!

Comment

glad to hear she's OK.
            that was almost certainly a barrel obstruction.

Comment

Previous shell didn't have any powder in it. Primer pushed the load about half way down the barrel.

Comment

Thank god she is okay!

Comment

A gun manufacturer or ammo manufacturer will say its operator error for not verifying barrel is not obstructed when broke open and reloaded before each shot. See any firearms owners manual about barrel obstructions.

A squib load can that results in a wad stuck in the barrel or debris in the barrel is 100% preventable by the shooter.

In a semi auto any funny sounding or weak shot should be cause for alarm and to stop shooting. Unload gun, remove barrel and check it for obstruction.

I've seen it happen on multiple occasions. It's not uncommon.

Comment

If a 20 gauge shell it would hang up right at the end of the chamber. I would think it would start the split closer to the chamber.

Saw my cousin bend over to pick up a bird and stick his muzzle in the sand. before I could stop him he fired on another dove. The muzzle of the 1100 burst.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                      I think if it had been a harder stoppage, like a 20 ga shell, you would see much more damage. Usually a bulge or split was an obstruction that was easier to blow out the end of the barrel.
                      agreed. Ive seen that a few times as well

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                      Previous shell didn't have any powder in it. Primer pushed the load about half way down the barrel.
                      I take it you've never just put a 209 primer on a muzzle loader and fired it

Comment

Glad to hear she is okay. Maybe take it in to a trusted gunsmith an ask them what they think?

Comment

The 209 primer ain’t gonna clear the barrel by itself, so I’m not sure what the comment about never firing 209 primer through a muzzlelader has anything to do with it.
                          Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 09-07-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Is it possible the shells could have got wet? This can cause the powder to burn slow and the wad get stuck. Left a few shells in my pocket and they got ran through the washing machine. They were drylokt and I set them aside. Next day I snuck up on some ducks and shot and the bb’s just pepper’d them on the water and the gun made a weird sound. Checked the barrel and the wad was stuck half way down.

Comment

Wow. Glad she’s ok! Happened to a friend years ago. His was a wad. If a shot sounded wrong, something is wrong!!!

Comment

I had that happen with a Rem 1100 back in 1975. It split about four inches down from where the choke began and blew powder back in my face. Took it to where we bought it and the store manager tried to argue it was the ammo, but that was Remington also.

He wasn't going to do anything until someone within earshot said we ought to sell it and my story to Winchester. Then he decided to swap it out.

I got a new shotgun and a couple of months later my stepfather got a call to pick up my shotgun from the store. They replaced the barrel on the original and sent it back. My stepfather picked it up and we had two shotguns. He said he wouldn't have done it except for the store manager being such a jerk originally.

I still have mine and I don't know what happened to the other one.

Comment

Working...
                                X