Ground only or up??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground only or up??

Curious how BOW HUNTERS on this forum hunt from. I am a big phatt boy. Ground only for me. I use to get up in tripods but I am scared of the crater I might leave behind.

All joking aside, I know good and well I can't climb up safely like I use to. I still believe up in a tree or tripod is best for viewing and scent control but it's all from the ground now.

Ground only or up??

I'm in the fat boy all ground blind hunting club too. I'll tell you this though, I've killed a lot more deer on the ground then I ever did up in the air [emoji41]

Comment

Im an elevated kinda guy 100%. I hunted from the ground for few years and didnt like it. Blood trails were worse and I wounded several animals.

Comment

Up, I'm a skinny dude with bad hearing, up increases my chance of seeing them.

Comment

Both. If there are no trees around that are suitable for a ladder stand or tree stand then it has to be a ground blind.
          I prefer a tree stand myself.

Comment

I do both, 6'3 280lbs. Still pretty young though. Just depends on the setup, sometimes a tent just doesn't work, but you can bet I'll always choose the tent when I can.

Comment

Ground blinds only for me. No more tree climbing for these almost 50 year old bones.

Now I might hunt off the ground in a blind if it has a platform ... but I prefer my farthest fall to be if I fell asleep in my chair and hit the carpet..

I do have a wooden quad pod that is 4-5' off the ground for a pig blind.....for a different wind than my box..
              Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I have transitioned over to ground blind only. I have killed just as many deer from the ground, as I ever did from up a tree.

I much prefer the ability to move around and/or stand up in the blind without having to worry about being seen.

Comment

FND tree stands are pointless if your looking up for it in the tree. They sit below eye level. Scared of heights and scared of being attacked by pigs so he has them a whooping 5ft tall in the tree.

Comment

I prefere up in a tree but in a few years Im sure Ill be the ground blind guy. Most times Im alone out on the property and as I get older I start thinking about the what ifs of being up in a tree.

Comment

I like taking photographs while hunting, so eye level is the best for me.

Comment

I mostly hunt ladder stands 15 - 18 feet up. I'm 72 so I may transition to ground blinds over the next few years.

Comment

I’m a tripod or tree stand guy where it’s suitable, but ground blinds or brush blinds at our place in SoTx where there is nothing up to hide in

Comment

My preference is to hunt from an elevated position. Right now all of our bow stands are ladder stands. I do own several pop ups from a lease we hunted several years back. If we want to hunt a spot where a tree stand isn't feasible we will use a pop up. At my age it probably wont be too many more years before i am not climbing.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                              FND tree stands are pointless if your looking up for it in the tree. They sit below eye level. Scared of heights and scared of being attacked by pigs so he has them a whooping 5ft tall in the tree.
                              I’ll teach you the fine art of Hunting one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X