Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we have a legit conversation about crossbows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
    Doesn't really matter. If it isn't legal there, then obviously, don't use them there. If someone is handicapped, can they use a crossbow there?
    It does matter because it's not consistent across the board.

They follow the pre-2009 rules:
    Only if it's a documented, permanent upper disability, with a Physician's note confirming they could not physically draw a bow.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post

Only if it's a documented, permanent upper disability, with a Physician's note confirming they could not physically draw a bow.
      Go back and read the op’s first post.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        I got pricing on 40 pound limbs for my Bowtech Reign 7 compound and they are 300.00, which would be useless after I heal. And after reading what Nurse Jenn said I will leave my wheelie bow alone and get a crossbow.

Actually I am amazed at how many of y'all agree to go get a xbow and be done with it. Maybe we have more in common that what we think.

I ordered one

Thanks everyone
        Happy to see this, better to do this tan to reinjure yourself and have to permanently shoot a crossbow.

Good luck this season.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Looks like a good 'un Radar!! Make sure you have a high quality target to shoot. First time I shot mine at our target at the ranch, dang arra (bolt) went clean thru and into a tree trunk! ...was a block target that was not rated for crossbows... I got me a Reinhardt block and it works great. Your biggest problem will be tryin' to pull them little short arras out tha dang thing! A good fiber bag target would be better, but get a good 'un!
          Yes sir that was another question, I need a special bag target for crossbows? But can I use my 3D targets?

Almost everyone seems to use mechanical on crossbows too, I got to learn a lot.

Comment

Local governments are allowed to have laws that are more stringent. Not saying I agree with them, but that is how it is.
            I am assuming this has something to do with population density? How was the law put in place in the first place?
            Thing is, there are other counties that it is allowed in, so if you want to use one, and they don't allow it in this county, there is nothing stopping you from going to another county. I realize it becomes a bit more inconvenient, but I can't recall ever seeing a politician consider convenience for anyone but themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
              Local governments are allowed to have laws that are more stringent. Not saying I agree with them, but that is how it is.
              I am assuming this has something to do with population density? How was the law put in place in the first place?
              Thing is, there are other counties that it is allowed in, so if you want to use one, and they don't allow it in this county, there is nothing stopping you from going to another county. I realize it becomes a bit more inconvenient, but I can't recall ever seeing a politician consider convenience for anyone but themselves.
              Population density is supposed to be the thought, but Dallas county has almost 5 times more people per square mile than Collin county but does not follow the same philosophy.

I'm saying it matters because it's so inconsistent; it's not legal, and not archery here, but it is legal and is archery elsewhere. So going back to my question in response to: "TPWD says its legal", they do but not across the board. It's a contradiction which makes me come to the conclusion that it really just comes down to who complained the most, and it what meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                ... so's we can start the appropriate ribbin' thread!!
                Yep, we tricked him into thinking it was okay, so now let's get that sorry crossbow shootin, non-archery huntin, high heel wearing sucker buster![emoji12]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Population density is supposed to be the thought, but Dallas county has almost 5 times more people per square mile than Collin county but does not follow the same philosophy.

I'm saying it matters because it's so inconsistent; it's not legal, and not archery here, but it is legal and is archery elsewhere. So going back to my question in response to: "TPWD says its legal", they do but not across the board. It's a contradiction which makes me come to the conclusion that it really just comes down to who complained the most, and it what meetings.
                  3 counties out of 254 is inconsistent?

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                    Yep, we tricked him into thinking it was okay, so now let's get that sorry crossbow shootin, non-archery huntin, high heel wearing sucker buster![emoji12]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                    , I knew it was trickery.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                      3 counties out of 254 is inconsistent?
                      You and I clearly have different interpretations of "Inconsistent". Mine aligns
                      with the actual definition.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        Yes sir that was another question, I need a special bag target for crossbows? But can I use my 3D targets?

Almost everyone seems to use mechanical on crossbows too, I got to learn a lot.
                        I use my 3D targets with mine OK, but they are a real bear to get out of the target!! Until you are rehabilitated a bit, I'd stick with a good bag target. And any good bag target that uses natural fiber (cotton or cloth) for the stuffing will be fine. Those that use the scrap plastic sheeting (forget the brand but they're yeller) are a big no/no! The arras, especially the aluminum ones (but carbon are bad too) heat up that plastic as they enter the target and it melts and sticks to the arra... dang near impossible to get the arra out.

I do NOT use mech' heads for ANYTHING. I use the same heads for the crossbow that I use for my wheelie bow. I'm currently shooting Razor Tricks 125 gr. cut on contact. They fly extremely well in the cross bow too out to 60 yards... Once you get the bow and get somewhat used to it, you're gonna love it. For shootin' hogs, it's earhole every time!! No trackin' needed. Wouldn't shoot a deer like that (though you probably could at 15-20 yards with their head down eatin')...

Comment

Just curious what your thoughts are when they also publish that in the only 3 Archery-only counties, they're not legal during the Archery-only season in those counties?
                          And the op doesn't hunt in those counties so who gives two flying turds. They are legal in his county and that is all that matters. He is hunting this year and happy about it. The last crossbow thread we were ask about our opinions on the matter and some of us gave ours alot more than others. Happy hunting Radar!

Comment

You and I clearly have different interpretations of "Inconsistent". Mine aligns
                            with the actual definition.

This ain't a thread about what's consistent and what not. If that is what you want, go start a thread on it.

This here's a thread about the OP wanting some info from people who shoot and use them. Cause he' don't have much other choice come the archery season. And I don't think his hunt-n grounds are anywhere near where your talk-n about. So please go start your own thread if you want to argue about a different topic. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                              And the op doesn't hunt in those counties so who gives two flying turds. They are legal in his county and that is all that matters. He is hunting this year and happy about it. The last crossbow thread we were ask about our opinions on the matter and some of us gave ours alot more than others. Happy hunting Radar!
                              Was the question directed at you? I promise, If I ever wanted your opinion I'd simply ask.

Comment

Radar, glad ya found one . I think you'll find you have to practice to get consistent with it. And find out what works best for BH. For fixed heads I use the Hades by Grimm Reaper. Yes, they make a fixed blade (I use them on my vertical bows too). I also use thier mechanical X-bow head in mine. Lots of shooters also use Slick-tricks for fixed.

The Bock makes a good x-bow target. I've got one I use inside my house when testing at 9 yards. And have never gotten a pass through with it at that distance.

Comment

Working...
                                X