Let's Talk Beavers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cwill View Post
    I've never shot one, but dadgum I'd think a 223 anywhere in the body would be more than sufficient. Are they that tough?
    Yep, that's been my experience. Typically I use 55 grain FMJ, never tried hollow points.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Beavers ruined our pond. They plugged up the over flow. Then ****ed up the spillway. It took a little while, eventually the **** blew out. Fun stuff.

Our pond was close enough to a power source, so my cousin ran extension cords out and hung up some Christmas lights. He'd sit out there at night and shoot them by Christmas light!

Comment

A old buddy from HS who is a trapper is going to meet me out there this weekend or next. He wants to set up snares using castor mounds.

Comment

... go fishing on the pond, take your 17. on one rod rig up a heavy weight with a treble hook. set it aside.

Fish until you see beaver, give him a headache with 17, if he is in the water toss the line over the spot and snag him.

We have had 2, we shot both when they were on the bank...

conibear works too if you have one and find the slides he is using

Comment

2am,and a spotlight...I've killed them actively working upstream,but your best bet,is to find their "down stream" home..A water way that they're trying to stop,is easy to remove..It's the downstream "home" you gotta get rid of.
            I've killed a bunch o' beaver in my day!lol
            Btw..They half chewed through a young pecan tree on my old place until we tore the dam out with a track hoe.

Comment

Been busting dams this morning. I have a tract of timber to harvest and they are making it difficult. I use a 1.5 Victor and put it where I bust then dam. Front or rear leg catch. Be careful with the conibear, they can hurt you. And there are 4 times as many beavers as you think you got.

Comment

Get em quick.

They ruined my pond overnight.

I would wait for a full moon and that morning I would open a section of their dam. The sound of flowing water triggers a response in them. That night they will be busy little beavers working on the repair. That's when you pick them off.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by garby
                  Not sure if you've seen the show meat eater, but the host, Steve Rinella, actually insists that beavers taste pretty good and are similar to beef. Not sure if you've ever eaten beaver, but it might be worth a try.

P.S. this hurt to type...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  We trap lots of beaver and I decided to eat one. It was a huge 50 lb one and it was nasty. next year we got a smaller kit and i thought that maybe a young one would taste better. Nope. I've tired multiple times and cant get them to taste good. Always have a beaver smell taste.

Comment

Beaver

Thermal and my 308 would work just hate to damage any beaver

Comment

What I have done in the past is wait till after dark and get in a canoe with your gun of choice and spotlight.

Comment

5lbs. Tanerite to the den will also help.

Comment

Trapping is the best and their are tons of great videos on YouTube to learn.

Comment

We had some beavers show up on our place. The way I look at is now I will have good duck hunting and deer hunting on the same place.

Comment

I have killed 2 carrying a 30-30 while fishing. They sure will destroy a pretty pond quick!

Comment

Our beavers come out at sunset.

Find a slide, trail, den, or current tree kill and set a trap. Conibers are deadly to anything. Foot traps and snares work.

Make sure you stay within the regulations.

Comment

Working...
                                X