Aging meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aging meat

What are the benefits of aging meat right after skinning an animal, elk to be exact? How long do you age?

Thanks

Here's my simple answer (via with another question): How long would you let a stake sit on a counter?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      Here's my simple answer (via with another question): How long would you let a stake sit on a counter?
      Forever, they’re made of wood and never lose their vampire killing powers.

You age meat just above freezing, preferably with some airflow over it, at high humidity, so not the same as a counter or as a fridge.

To OP: it will definitely make it more tender, and the taste will change (more and more over the time it changed), whether you like that change is up to you. Also, the flavor will become more intense as more water evaporates.

Comment

I aged a ribeye roast for just 10 days. I invited friends over for a smoked roast and they said it was the best roast they’ve ever had. It was amazing next go around will be three weeks of aging

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post

You age meat just above freezing, preferably with some airflow over it, at high humidity, so not the same as a counter or as a fridge.

To OP: it will definitely make it more tender, and the taste will change (more and more over the time it changed), whether you like that change is up to you. Also, the flavor will become more intense as more water evaporates.
          Will it increase the wild taste of elk? I am not looking for a more wild taste.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post

I just happen to like my stakes smoked. Very easy to do. Trick is not burning them while smoking.

Nice catch.

Comment

It’s better all the way around.

Comment

I am happy with 14 days, but prefer 21 days in the cooler...skin on for the deer I shoot. Don't age it skinned or you will be cutting off / wasting all the dried exterior.

Aging meat is aging meat & works the same way...I suspect elk is the same as deer. I'm planning on getting a nilgai here soon & will go the 2-3 week deal.

Hell, I've heard of beef hanging so long they cut off the moldy outside / exposed parts??
                Last edited by Artos; 03-07-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Found some good info:

Write says aging older bucks/bulls will make them tender and taste better. Young animals only need a couple days, older deer need 2 weeks. 33-40 degrees in the fridge will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    I don’t know many folks that age meat at room temperature....

Comment

Beef usually 1day per 100 # as a good start. I just butchered one and went 3 weeks hanging on a 900 # heifer. I would think you'll be okay if you do that with an elk. I would also leave the hide on it. JMO.

Comment

I don’t know many folks that age meat at room temperature....
                        Knew an OLD man that would hang a deer 24 hours no matter the temp. He would hang it in a tree after he killed it for a full day. Swore the meat was the best, I never tried it....

Comment

use to hunt some in Missouri some. There was a guy that lived on the road who would hang his deer in a tree. That deer would hang there till the outside of it began to turn green. I guess he cut the nasty off then processed it. Friend told me the guy hung deer in that tree for weeks every year.

Comment

I keep my all my deer, axis, elk, etc. on ice as soon as possible for 14-21 days. It drains the blood out of it and makes it very tender and moist. Venison is lean, hanging it in a walk in cooler keeps drying it out. We keep our beef in a walk in cooler for 21 days before butchering.

Comment

Aged a bull elk 20 days in my walk in cooler. It made the best, most tender steaks ever. The aging process is needed to make them tender. Enzymes Break down the muscle tissue in the meat during the aging process.

Comment

Working...
                              X