Hog Alarms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Alarms

First Version - I was building my house and had a big 1000' spool of electrical wire left over. I rolled it out into the woods to a corn feeder site and put a common lightswitch on the end. At the house end I attached a typical 3 prong plug and a leftover ceiling can light. I nailed the lightswitch to a tree with a typical plastic drywall box and drilled a hole through the little tab on the lightswitch. I stretched fishing line tripwire from the tab to another tree with a broken twig as a center support. Pressure on the wire trips the switch.
    Result - could sit at the house or around a fire and if the light comes on, hogs are at the feeder. Sneak down the hill and shoot (with a spotlight if necessary). Later my brother came to visit and wanted a hog so replaced the light with a radio and slept with it rigged.
    I realize this setup has limitations (the wire cost and distance and occasional coons) but it was fun. If anyone wants pics or more specifics I can help.

Second Version - I had one of those driveway alarms that are motion detectors and ring chimes at the house. The only problem is that these need a fairly clear line of sight from the detector to the receiver (or intermittent relays). This works as a hog detector but at my location I could never get a straight and clear enough line to get good results.

Last version - when sitting a stand at night I usually use a spotlight and when I hear hogs at the feeder I pop on the light and shoot. I found that if I put a simple game camera by the feeder, the flash will alert me of the hogs and give a quick glimpse of positioning.

I want to set something like this up at our ranch, thanks for the ideas..

Comment

Lol! Nice!!!

Comment

good thinking you could just put a motion detector like from a flood light down at the end of the 1000 foot wire and it would work the same as switch and pick up any motion instead of them having to trip your wire

Comment

smart thinking

Comment

I'm still trying to calculate the voltage drop on a 1K' of wire.

Comment

Originally posted by ballisticbudda View Post
              I'm still trying to calculate the voltage drop on a 1K' of wire.
              Engineer?????

Comment

I think I found what you are looking for.

AWG Wire size chart and ampacity table for design engineers including skin depth frequencies and tensile strength data; electrical cable size

Comment

Solar powered motion light works great. Sit in a stand and wait for the light to come on.

Comment

Originally posted by stick-n-move View Post
                    Solar powered motion light works great. Sit in a stand and wait for the light to come on.
                    I have 2 of these as well... with solar chargers, red lights, and 12 volt batteries... Work Great!

Comment

Working...
                    X