No announcement yet.

Kid Football Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this was going to be about the brawl at a recent Lindale / Van peewee game

Van coach got a permanent ban from the league, not sure what they did to Lindale coach

NannySlayer, go for it

Comment

Go for it. I helped coach my son's flag football team when he was 6. I mostly worked with them on defense as the coach only wanted to focus on offense. His son was probably the fastest kid in the league so it was a lot of pitch sweeps to the outside. They missed two weeks and I filled in as coach and play caller. I spread the ball around to everyone and they had a blast. The other parents were asking me to coach the next year but my son decided he wanted to try something else so I never did. If you have time, do it.

Comment

I say go for it. I would go watch some High School football practices and take notes on the flow of practice and how there is constant action with little down time. This is a major piece, especially with younger kids. Generally speaking you would do the below. I doubt you will have the full amount of kids required for this but the below is a broad rubric of how HS and College programs operate. Per standard for anything, there are slight differences program to program and it will change week to week depending on point of emphasis for that specific week. (ie. poor tackling, poor blocking, etc). I am trying to keep this not too detailed, hope this helps. I can go into a little more detail via pm if you would like. I will say, a few practices a week and lack of commitment from some parents puts you in a rock and a hard place imo.

Warm-ups
        Individual (position groups)
        Group (7/7 style either run/pass)
        Team (11/11)
        Special Teams
        Conditioning (wind sprints)
        Last edited by stickemhard3; 10-15-2018, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Go for it.....I am a Head Football Coach and have been in the profession for 26 years. We need more people in the youth and YFL programs that are allowing these little guys to have fun, at the same time they are teaching them the fundamentals of football. There are way to many people that want a win at all cost at this level...There will be a time in their lives that wining will be pushed harder, but at this age let them have fun. Lets teach them sportsmanship, How to compete, how to win as champions and and to lose as a champion. I would be more than happy to assist you in any way possible....It is hard to hunt and coach football......But it can be done.

Comment

Good for you, Nanny. I commend you for realizing, as others have stated, that it's all about the kids. Especially at that young an age. I saw on the news recently a literal fist fight break out between two coaches at a PEEWEE football game! Come on guys...

Reminds me of a letter that Mike Matheny (long-time MLB player/manager) wrote to the parents of his little league baseball team. I think every parent with children in sports, regardless of sport, should read.

"We may not win every game, but we will be the classiest coaches, players, and parents in every game we play."

This letter was written in 2009 to a group of parents who wanted Mike Matheny to coach a youth team. He responded by outlining his conditions.

Comment

Dont do it. Sit back and enjoy watching your son. Dont get involved with other parents. Trust me..... they always turn on you. Save the headaches.....

Comment

I'd hit the pause button. I think it's great you want to get involved and think you should after you speak to the HC of the team you're joining. Have you spoken to the head coach about the improvements you plan on making? Are they aligned with the HC and the current coaching staff's current direction? From the outside looking in, you might think things can be easily changed when in fact they cannot. Without having these discussions first, you could be setting yourself up for a miserable experience.

Other than that, it's a fantastic experience, but takes a ton of time - 3 - 2.5hr practices per week. Plus practice set up and take down, practice planning, game planning, parent interactions, game film watching, etc. and game days.

Have the talk and get aligned on expectations with the HC and jump in with both feet.

Comment

I say put your name in the hat, if you have a desire to coach, then go for it. There are a couple of really good posts on this thread that are so very true. BobbyOrtiz and Coach51 are spot on. I was very involved in youth athletics(baseball) for 10 years, got out in 2015. I ran several age groups over the years from T ball up to 13-14 division. I can say I think I have seen it all, lol.

The 24 hour rule is an absolute must, cooler heads will prevail. To us that are involved, it's about teaching the youth the game, age appropriate fundamentals and to love the sport. Some kids will love to compete, others will not, you get all of them in the youth divisions.

One thing that no one has mentioned is the politics, there will be plenty of that in play for sure. Be prepared. Sadly, being a female, who knows what will happen? They will either embrace it or fight it, tough to say. We had a lady coach in a neighboring distric that we competed against every year, she won the league every year and coached all stars.

There is most likely a good ole boy system in place already. I have a good friend, played college ball and started every game for 4 years, knows the game on a different level, SUPER with kids and just wants to pass the knowledge down and they never have a need for his help. In reality, they are intimidated by him and don't want to give up their power position as a junior league football coach,,,

Go get involved, that's all you can do, toss your name out there and see what happens. We had a rule, jokingly of course, but it was "if you don't volunteer, you can't complain." lol. It's true, the ones that complain the most are the ones that are never available to clean up, work concessions, help on picture day, etc.

Good Luck and keep up posted.

Comment

Go for it!!! There needs to be more “fun” and “teaching” at the lower levels! That level is about having fun but staying safe.

Protect yourself and don’t say “head”, 24 hr rule and never at a game, and never talk to a parent about another kid that isn’t theirs

Teach the fundamentals but make them fun. I cannot tell you how many kids we get at the jr high in 7th grade who “played” for a league but know zilch of fundamentals.

I love my job but there are times when I really wonder who these “coaches” are when we get some kids. From promising if the stay for the league and not the school they can get d1 scholarship to we (hs coaches) don’t know what we are doing and if they want to win they should hire said coach.

Comment

I have done it, and wouldn't do it again for my own kiddo.

We have always just worked at home with my kids. I spend an inordinate amount of time doing crazy stuff for my kiddos personally. Then just sit back and take in the team practices/games.

I wanted to do things a certain way, and that didn't always work for all the kids/parents.

If you are able to pick the kiddos, and have a team formed where you know all the kids, and their parents, that would be different though.

Comment

Are you out of your mind??

Comment

Being rec, it's all about being fun. When my baby girl started playing soccer (yes, I know this is about football) her mom signed her up. She was about his age. Honestly, I thought it was silly. It was during hunting season and I rarely went. Fast forward to the following year. Our coach was "just a dad" and didnt know much about the game. Another dad and I volunteered to help him out. Neither of us knew anything about the game either, but could see the coach could use a hand, with his busy schedule.
                          I will tell you, it was one of the more rewarding times I've had. We kept the practices fun and managed to win a majority of our games. Once they got old enough to go competitive, that team folded. To my knowledge, my daughter and the head coach's daughter are the only ones that still play, at a high level. They are high school freshmen this year.
                          Time flies! I say do it! You will have a blast!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                            Dont do it. Sit back and enjoy watching your son. Dont get involved with other parents. Trust me..... they always turn on you. Save the headaches.....
                            this. and just pray you dont get a coach who thinks of his son only. a massive majority will be that way.

its a long shot but prayer does work.

Comment

If you have never played football or coached then you should think hard about your decision. What football experience do you have? With out playing the sport you only have watching on TV experience. Lots of parents want to coach because their kid is the next “messiah”.

Comment

This is what I included in an email to the Director of Football.

“Thomas is one of the youngest on his team and doesn't comprehend a lot things when it comes to football strategy. I've attempted to help the coaches during practices I've attended and in particular, Thomas, when it's his turn to run thru a play. The coaches have seen how Thomas receives motivation from me and it increases his performance. I understand we are dealing with 6-8 year olds but the unenthusiastic level of coaching is noticed throughout all of the parents. Thomas was trained to be defensive lineman/tackle and punt return. When coaches on the sideline call for defense or punt return, Thomas does not recognize that it's his time to go on the field and run a play. Thomas has averaged 3-4 plays a game this entire season. Todays game at White Settlement, Thomas was only on the field for 2 plays. At half time at some of the games, I have spoken to coaches (Brandon, Jeremiah, and Red) advising them that Thomas has not been in the game and he does not recognize when it is his turn to play. I suggested that they need to specifically pluck him off the sidelines and put him on the field. Thomas has also been talked to at every game and advised to go to the coaches on the sideline and ask to be placed in the game. Coach Neil and Coach Mike have pointed out to me that Thomas asks to play the game. I know my kid isn't the best but at practice when he does successfully tackle, he is so excited. I want him to experience that at the game as well and I don't feel like he has been given the chance. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X