Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #101
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
Years ago I shot maybe 10-12 deer with ST's and never even had a decent bloodtrail. Not.once.

And I know the guys with deer dogs don't like them either because of the common lack of sign.

Those comments have nothing to do with the OP. Carry on.
Agreed and I also used the qad exodus and just wasnít pumped about the blood trails. Iím just a mechanical whore now
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #102
NoFence
Eight Point

This has got to be the first time I've seen anyone complain about a broadhead on a pass thru...
NoFence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #103
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

it happens. don't get discouraged as it will happen to most everyone that bowhunts.

Last edited by stickerpatch59; 10-13-2018 at 09:33 PM.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #104
cwbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

So did you shoot her again.?
cwbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #105
Archery1st
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Tx / Lampasas County, Tx / Union County, NM

Interesting...

My personal experience.
I have recovered every deer (40+) and elk (6) I have shot with a slicktrick..had a couple poor blood trails and have also had some incredible blood trails.

I have lost 1 deer and 1 Axis each shot with a Rage.
Archery1st is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 12:31 AM   #106
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I think I've shot 13-14 critters with slicktrick now. Good blood trails if I do my part.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 01:47 AM   #107
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

My buddy made an almost identical shot with a slick truck this week and his deer fell within sight, stone dead. Deer are tough animals. Aim small, miss small.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 05:04 AM   #108
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

I lost a deer once in 2011. I quit shooting Bowtech bows. I quit shooting Rage. I quit shooting with peep sights. I quit shooting Beman arrows. I stopped using 2" speed vanes. There is no way it was my fault.
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #109
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Not really seeing how a live deer is a blood trail problem. Finding it dead a couple days later when the buzzards get on it, sure.

My only experience with slick tricks is watching my friend kill a bull elk with one this year. It went in and sounded like a wooden baseball bat when it hit the offside shoulder. He ran about 200 yards on a 45 degree downhill, we were able to follow the blood trail at a fast walking pace.

There was no exit, the arrow broke up into about 2” pieces and that shoulder was blood shot like a rifle hit it. Broadhead had no damage whatsoever and was still sharp.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #110
skelsey
Four Point

Rage extreme or shwackers equals huge blood trails and dead animals even on marginal shots! That’s why I switched from fixed blades.
skelsey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #111
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County
Default Why Iím leaving slicktrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Slick trick should leave the shooter.

Thereís not a broadhead made that will compensate for poor shooting.

Right here! I killed the biggest deer of my life with a Slick Trick...along with countless hogs.

Back to the drawing board you go!

That being said...I doubt thatís the same deer!

Skinny

Last edited by Skinny; 10-14-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #112
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
Iím fine with someone disagreeing with me. I am just stating what I have found with slick tricks. Any broadhead can have a good blood trail once or twice. I shot 15-20 animals with them and the majority of the blood trails sucked. So for everyone quoting me saying how awesome they are, if you have only shot one or two things get a bigger sample size then come back to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iíve killed over 100 animals with slick tricks. They are awesome!
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #113
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

You can kill em with a spoon if you put it in the right spot!
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #114
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb Ct., Karnes Ct.

Iíd say hunt with what you feel like hunting with. I donít like them compared to Iron Wills or German Kinetics, but they are also a much more quality and expensive broadhead. I mean quality due to the materials used in building them. My favorite new mechanical is a Rage Trypan. Some people donít like them, but I do so thatís what I shoot. A broadhead isnít designed to bail out a bad shot. Itís meant to preform when the shooter does his job. If you get bailed out by a broadhead itís all a matter of luck or chance. None of them go out of their way to hinder or help
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #115
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BONE View Post
Reason I ask is I saw this doe last year on my property
Very high hit on entrance and exit is close to where yours is

Entrance is first pic and exit is second
Did this but another inch back a few years ago on a buck. Stood and bleed. Then walked away only to be seen again on neighbors game camera.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #116
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Shot this boar this evening with one of the dull slick tricks. He didnít make it far (thankfully 25 minuets later a flood came)

Would have been a walking blood trail... if I could have stood up to walk
Attached Images

Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #117
stickbow
Four Point

Default broadheads and lack courtesy

guys i am disappointed reading this thread. this use to be courteous place. this guy didn't ask to get roasted and if you hunt long enough and kill enough you are going to have marginal or bad shots. his shot was not that bad. the higher you are the further back you can be and sometimes it just doesn't work out. i have killed elk with an expandable walled off in their chest back in the old days and the animal was surprisingly fine. many times the animal will be ok if not hit in the guts. opinions are like a holes everyone has one. use what you are confident with. be cool....life is short
stickbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 10:51 PM   #118
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbow View Post
guys i am disappointed reading this thread. this use to be courteous place. this guy didn't ask to get roasted and if you hunt long enough and kill enough you are going to have marginal or bad shots. his shot was not that bad. the higher you are the further back you can be and sometimes it just doesn't work out. i have killed elk with an expandable walled off in their chest back in the old days and the animal was surprisingly fine. many times the animal will be ok if not hit in the guts. opinions are like a holes everyone has one. use what you are confident with. be cool....life is short
I agree with the first part

Now about the bold part,
How high do I have to be to shoot one right in front of the hindquarters?
Now if you want to talk about angles, the more one is quartered away, the more back you need to be.

The OP's shot looked like what Buff called " middle middle", mid way between front and back and midway between bottom and top of body
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #119
Lawhorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: S.Texas

Switch to a Rage and see what happens. I would much rather have a 2Ē wound channel than a 1Ē wound channel. You just never know what itís going to cut with that extra inch. I shoot and love Rage Trypans. I got a full pass through on a boat hog at 53 yards. Iím shooting a 29/70 Elite Ritual with a 555 grain FMJ. Rages arenít ideal for all hunting situations but for whitetails they do the job just fine.

Lawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:28 PM   #120
skelsey
Four Point

I see no reason to take a chance using small fixed blade broad heads when there are mechanicals out there that are absolutely devestating. Use what you have confidence in!
skelsey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:41 PM   #121
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Just to be clear... 1 1/8” x 1 1/8” = 2 1/4” of tissue and blood vessels cutting area. There are a few mechanicals with more but not many and none that guarantee that amount 100% of the time.

I’ve had too many issues with mechanical when they first came out to ever go back. I know they have came a long ways and have seen awesome devastation. I still won’t use one again but they do have their place.

Ain’t bashing them, just lost trust in every one I used back in the day
Old 10-14-2018, 11:57 PM   #122
Tex
Ten Point

I donít blame you for switching. Send them to me so I can get rid of them for you.

Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #123
Jcjohnson
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
For that exit to be a “good shot” on a quarter toward deer the entrance would need to be in front of the shoulder blade on opposite side. (And it could be, I don’t know) people think deers lungs are far bigger than they are ( probably due to 3-D targets false representation)

I’ve made shot errors too. And if op wants to change from the #1 off the shelf Broadhead that’s no issue for me. But blaming this shot on a Broadhead..... please
Curious if it's your opinion they are the best off the shelf head. Or if There was sort sort of top broad head list/poll or study some where.

Last edited by Jcjohnson; 10-15-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #124
Low Fence
Pope & Young

My opinion..... but their website does say #1, so it must be true
Old 10-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #125
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I've killed 6 million animals with my bow, I've got 14 podcasts, 17 hunting shows, 5 leases in the Golden Triangle, 6 leases in East Texas, own half of Alaska and hunt all over the west by gawd! I'm on prostaff for 3,000 products.....2998 are broadhead companies, one is from Moon Pie incorporated and the other is McCormick for my vanilly supply . I can tell you this....every broadhead I have ever shot has had somebody somewhere else say it sucks and they'd never used it again....every one has its haters (just like vehicles)....because it's always the broadheads fault. This has been going on since Johnny Red Moon was bitching about Moon Over Troubled Water's flint knapping while hunting saber-toothed tigers in a high fence made out of brontosaurus rib bones and stegosaurus sinew. I'm telling ya with all my experience above, you do your part....any sharp broadhead will do theirs.....by gawd! harumpf!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #126
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart View Post
i've killed 6 million animals with my bow, i've got 14 podcasts, 17 hunting shows, 5 leases in the golden triangle, 6 leases in east texas, own half of alaska and hunt all over the west by gawd! I'm on prostaff for 3,000 products.....2998 are broadhead companies, one is from moon pie incorporated and the other is mccormick for my vanilly supply . I can tell you this....every broadhead i have ever shot has had somebody somewhere else say it sucks and they'd never used it again....every one has its haters (just like vehicles)....because it's always the broadheads fault. This has been going on since johnny red moon was bitching about moon over troubled water's flint knapping while hunting saber-toothed tigers in a high fence made out of brontosaurus rib bones and stegosaurus sinew. I'm telling ya with all my experience above, you do your part....any sharp broadhead will do theirs.....by gawd! Harumpf!
:d:d:d
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #127
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart View Post
i've killed 6 million animals with my bow, i've got 14 podcasts, 17 hunting shows, 5 leases in the golden triangle, 6 leases in east texas, own half of alaska and hunt all over the west by gawd! I'm on prostaff for 3,000 products.....2998 are broadhead companies, one is from moon pie incorporated and the other is mccormick for my vanilly supply . I can tell you this....every broadhead i have ever shot has had somebody somewhere else say it sucks and they'd never used it again....every one has its haters (just like vehicles)....because it's always the broadheads fault. This has been going on since johnny red moon was bitching about moon over troubled water's flint knapping while hunting saber-toothed tigers in a high fence made out of brontosaurus rib bones and stegosaurus sinew. I'm telling ya with all my experience above, you do your part....any sharp broadhead will do theirs.....by gawd! Harumpf!
Nailed it!

Can you please post a pic of the Moon Pie broadhead!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #128
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Nailed it!

Can you please post a pic of the Moon Pie broadhead!

No moon pie broadheads....I have two sponsorships that are not part of the 2998 broadheads sponsorships and Moon Pie is one of the two.....McCormick being the other..
Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #129
Low Fence
Pope & Young

McCormick sucks. That watery low grade goop. Adams is far superior and is made with hand picked choice vanilla beans. Scent thief can’t even hide the aroma
Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #130
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
No moon pie broadheads....I have two sponsorships that are not part of the 2998 broadheads sponsorships and Moon Pie is one of the two.....McCormick being the other..
Dang, i really wanted to see one and possible try one, favorite flavor?
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #131
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i108ne0tq2....TRIM.MOV?dl=0

ST getting the job done , Hit the pause and frame by frame it you can see the shot .

Knocked down 4 pigs over the weekend of hunting . they are pushing the deer around some so I cannot shoot enough of them but I can teach them that daylight is not the time to come to the feeder or at least try .

I shoot a huge boar from that same group but the shot was off outside of my phone leacing on the blind so it did not pick it up these guys moved a bit came right back in .. I have been trying for a double maybe next time
Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #132
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
McCormick sucks. That watery low grade goop. Adams is far superior and is made with hand picked choice vanilla beans. Scent thief canít even hide the aroma

Don't tell them.....but I cut it with Mexican Vanilla shipped in from the valley.. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Dang, I really wanted to see one and possible try one, favorite flavor?

Banana.......hands down. Gives me super powers trekking the side of mountains..
Old 10-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #133
slicktricker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land

Someone has had too much vanilly in their coffee this morning
slicktricker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #134
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWRENCH View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i108ne0tq2....TRIM.MOV?dl=0

ST getting the job done , Hit the pause and frame by frame it you can see the shot .

Knocked down 4 pigs over the weekend of hunting . they are pushing the deer around some so I cannot shoot enough of them but I can teach them that daylight is not the time to come to the feeder or at least try .

I shoot a huge boar from that same group but the shot was off outside of my phone leacing on the blind so it did not pick it up these guys moved a bit came right back in .. I have been trying for a double maybe next time
Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Nice shot!
Old 10-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #135
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktricker View Post
Someone has had too much vanilly in their coffee this morning

*french vanilly?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #136
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

My only guide trip this year...

380 gr. arrow, slick trick, 300 lb. pig shot square in the shoulder at 55 lbs. Pig ran 30 yards and was done.

POS Slick Trick...shoulda only ran 15 yards.

Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #137
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

Quote:
Nice shot!

thanks as you have seen from the pics I posted no lack of targets pig wise . Still thinking about moving the stand . hung another camera just south in a opening and its getting some great action deer wise there as well . Will see need to get you out we can shoot a few pigs .
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #138
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
I've killed 6 million animals with my bow, I've got 14 podcasts, 17 hunting shows, 5 leases in the Golden Triangle, 6 leases in East Texas, own half of Alaska and hunt all over the west by gawd! I'm on prostaff for 3,000 products.....2998 are broadhead companies, one is from Moon Pie incorporated and the other is McCormick for my vanilly supply . I can tell you this....every broadhead I have ever shot has had somebody somewhere else say it sucks and they'd never used it again....every one has its haters (just like vehicles)....because it's always the broadheads fault. This has been going on since Johnny Red Moon was bitching about Moon Over Troubled Water's flint knapping while hunting saber-toothed tigers in a high fence made out of brontosaurus rib bones and stegosaurus sinew. I'm telling ya with all my experience above, you do your part....any sharp broadhead will do theirs.....by gawd! harumpf!
This!!! This Man's broadhead acumen is legit!!!

Please post link to all 14 of your podcasts
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #139
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
My only guide trip this year...

380 gr. arrow, slick trick, 300 lb. pig shot square in the shoulder at 55 lbs. Pig ran 30 yards and was done.

POS Slick Trick...shoulda only ran 15 yards.

Dang, you sure got ugly since the last time I saw you
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #140
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

Quote:

Sounds like youíre ready to be a politician...

Haha

SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #141
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

To the OP I’m sorry everyone is bashing you but I’ll offer you a solution, I’ll pay for shipping if you send me all your crappy slick tricks.
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #142
rswell2
Four Point

Hunt In: Kentucky

I'm not sure why more people aren't taking this post seriously.

I was planning to buy a new bow, but now I'm on my way to pick up a Yeti cooler instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullersboy View Post
Heck, you don't even have to shoot 'em with a Rage. Just hold the end of your arrow out there and shake it at the deer and they just fall over dead.

If you're a real high roller, you'll gave a Yeti cover in the back of your truck and the dead deer will gut and quarter itself and then jump in the cooler full of ice so cold the meat will be instantaneously frozen solid.
rswell2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #143
Smart
Pope & Young

I need to take the drinks and food out of the Yeti obviously
Old 10-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #144
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

This is a weird thread. That shot placement, even with a dull broadhead, should have at the very least been in the guts. I don't think this is a broadhead problem but that shot placement should have killed that deer eventually.
Don't really know what to think of this one.

On another note, I have had 100% success with Slick Tricks. I think I've shot 12-15 deer with them and a few hogs and almost always get great blood trails that begin immediately. Even when the blood trail isn't that great due to marginal shot plaecment or too much fat clogging the wound channel, the animal has died within sight.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #145
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I've used Slick Tricks since the came out. Not sure how many animals I have killed, but its been a bunch. They always leave a decent blood trail when I put them in a good spot. I've made a few shots that were less than perfect, but I'm not going to blame the heads.

Your shot looks a little far back, but one would think it would have killed her sooner or later. Sometimes animals are tougher than the archer and their gear. Just hard to explain.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #146
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Wrong. Slick tricks donít hold an edge. The flat blade angle dulls the **** out of the blades upon entry. The fact they donít use premium material means by the time the blades enter the cavity they are dull. I can take my iron wills and shave hair after passing through an animal. Slick tricks dull in the quiver.

I thought STs were made with German steel blades?

Please explain the premium materials comment, did they change after the company sold or is German steel not a premium material?

I've always thought German steel was supposed to be at least in the above average part of the quality scale

What do you consider a good quality head that does not have the price tag of Solid, Ironwill, German Kinetics etc?
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #147
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

McCormick is overrated.......the dollar store stuff works just fine.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #148
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
I thought STs were made with German steel blades?

Please explain the premium materials comment, did they change after the company sold or is German steel not a premium material?

I've always thought German steel was supposed to be at least in the above average part of the quality scale

What do you consider a good quality head that does not have the price tag of Solid, Ironwill, German Kinetics etc?

I like tapered heads that slice their way in and donít punch their way in. I will say the viper trick is a pretty good head. I just donít like the mags that most people shoot. G5 strikers are a really good head. Magnus stinger is a really good head.

JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #149
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Shot one pig with a Slick Trick. Blood trail was weak at best but very short. Still, I gave the rest away.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #150
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Quote:
I like tapered heads that slice their way in and donít punch their way in. I will say the viper trick is a pretty good head. I just donít like the mags that most people shoot. G5 strikers are a really good head. Magnus stinger is a really good head.

How were the blood trails with the strykers? I use to shoot those before slick trick and I never had good blood trails, it killed them quick as any other but the blood was always sparse.
Magnus is a great head and I have my first set of wicked tricks to try out. I am a little worried about the bleeder being a little too steep for good penetration but we shall see.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top