Public land reminder... Go prepared!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public land reminder... Go prepared!

This morning I had a reminder of why I go into the woods as prepared as I do. I am an overpacker but I know if someting happens I have what I need. I decided to go to a place I normally don't bow hunt and was gonna spend the whole day out there checking cameras and slip around the woods hoping to find a dumb deer that would let me get close enough. I got there a little before daylight and no other trucks in the area. I get about 3/4 of a mile in and decided to head towards my first camera. As I walk up a see a big hog 80 yards out across the creek eating acorns and I just let him be while I am checking my camera. As I am packing up to head towards the hog I see a old man walk up unfold his chair and sit down... I waved at him to let him know I was there and he got up and rushed towards me so I go to talk to see what his plan is. When get up to him I asked if he came off some private land since there were no vehicles on the road and he said he had been walking around in circles since yesterday... All he had on him was his long bow and a fold up chair. Didn't even have anymore arrows because he had lost them. Theres no cell service out there to even try to call anyone so I pulled some water out my pack and told him I would lead him out. He said he heard sirens during the night but couldn't get to them. I expected to see his family or search and rescue when we got back to the truck but nothing. So we loaded up and started heading out and ran into the sheriffs and TDCJ K9 unit on their way in. I am confident then authorities would have found him but man if he had a $100 GPS this could have been avoided. He is very lucky he didn't step on a snake or anything during the dark either. Not the way I expected the day to go but glad it turned out great! Moral of the story here is go into the woods prepared and don't just rely on a cell phone that can go dead or have no service.

I thought 8 was going to spend the night in DCNF many years ago. I walked in a lot of circles and before GPS.
    Thank goodness you were there to give him a hand.
    Well done

Comment

Oh wow!

Comment

Wow. Great reminder and he and his family are blessed you were there. Sometimes we are often so caught up in our own plans we don't see what's happening around us. You saw him and made sure he saw you. Good job!

Comment

Glad you were able to help

Nothing like one experience of spending the night in the woods to make most people figure out a better plan

Comment

Dang, glad you came across him and were able to help out.

Comment

Devine intervention. Glad you helped this gentleman.

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

I am just glad I went out there. I am sure those dogs would have found him but it would have took a while. It all worked out just right.

Comment

Awesome! Praise the Lord.

Comment

Dang, me and Carlock ran into a older guy a couple years ago at a Hagerman hog hunt. He was lost as a goose. He didn't know where he was, we asked where did you start.

We were in the backside of nowhere Godwin, he started out mid-Sandy. Long way, and I have no idea how he made it across the creek.

Comment

I kept waiting for a punch line...

Good work!

Comment

That could have been any of our family members or even one of us one day. Thank you. I pack everything even if I hunt the feeder near the house especially up north.

Comment

Good job Robert. You were at the right place at the right time !

Comment

****fire ! That coulda been me 🤦🏽*♂️. Thanks from all seniors [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X