Super duty tire rating ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darton View Post
    Tire shop will not put a tire on that rig if it doesn’t meet the load rating, period.
    Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    Not true.

Big corporate tire shops won't, there are still some sensible tire shops that will install the tire you want based on YOUR usage.

If you don't tow or haul heavy there is no reason to go with the heavier tires. If you do use your truck to capacity then use the correctly rated tire.

This! I too have a single wheel F350. Per discount tire the load rating for the F350 is like 125 or something but a F250 is maybe 130 (can't remember exact numbers) There are tons of tires out that meet the requirements for a F250 but very few that meet the requirement for a F350. The tires I wanted were only 1 number off of what they felt I needed for my truck. Like 126 instead of 125. Told them I would sign a waver or whatever just sell me the dang tires. They would not do it so I went to a little family own tire shop and bought them there. I understand if your talking about a dually and your going to be pulling some huge loads but on a truck I won't be doing that and the tire I want when looking at the actual weight rating far exceeds the max gross vehicle weight I don't get it.

Comment

The GVWR on my 17’ 350 is 11,500 lbs. That’s the max weight I can legally place on my trucks axles and tires. If I’m legally overloading a tire witha 3400+ rating, then I’m well over my trucks legal limits anyways by over 2000lbs. Regardless of the tire rating I can and most likely will get raped over the truck rating if something were to go wrong.

I still run E rated tires, but in no way does legality influence that.If I’m nearing tire max then I’ve already screwed the pooch. Currently running a 37x12.50r20 Toyo RT E rated for 3750. There are plenty of E rated aggressive tires to settle for a D rated on a towing truck.
      Last edited by TX03RUBI; 02-20-2018, 06:20 AM.

Comment

My opinion would be load range e Toyos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
          Having my F350 lifted this week. Currently running a 325/60/18 BFG all terrain. Planning on ditching the 35" ATs and going with a 37" tire. I really like the BFG KM02- mud terrain which is available in a 37/1250r18 but it has a D load rating. In fact it's a D2 which means the max pressure is 50 psi. The actual load rating is approximately 3400lbs and the E2 which I'm currently running is around 3850 lbs @65 psi max. Question is will I be entering a gray area with the D2 rated tire. I know towing depends a lot , which I rarely do but do not want to have worry tire loads. Any help is appreciated ... Any one running a D rated tire on a super duty?

It’ll be fine. The factory GVWR on your truck is well under 13,600. With the lift and giant tires, it’s even lower still. You’re not being irresponsible or putting the traveling public at risk. Should you ever approach the weight limits of those tires, your truck will be just as likely to fail as a tire.

I run load range E tires just because they’re harder to puncture. I hate changing tires outside of a shop...

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
            Since the truck is being lifted, therefore modified. I would be suspect if the truck would still be able to be loaded to max capacity for towing as designed by Ford. I wonder what the lift MFG recommends. I am not sure why a shop that will put a tire on a truck that the buyer/owner wants is not considered a shyster shop? I refuse to use shops such as Discount tire due to attitude and desire to tell me what I can or cant put on my truck. As far as buying a truck used scenario. Is there not personal responsibility involved here somewhere? IF I am looking for a truck that will be used for heavy towing, I most likely will not be considering lifted trucks. IF I did, I am smart enough to check the tire for the load ratings because when you get into oversized tires it is entirely possible for load ranges to change. Personally, if you like the tires and do not tow outside the load range, I would run them on my truck and not look back.

It’s because of the litigious society we are in today. It’s always someone else’s fault.

If I owned a tire shop I would cover my *** the same way. I wouldn’t put a tire on a vehicle that wasn’t properly rated for the capacity of that vehicle. I don’t give a **** what the owner of the vehicle said. If he/she didn’t like it they can go somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
              This! I too have a single wheel F350. Per discount tire the load rating for the F350 is like 125 or something but a F250 is maybe 130 (can't remember exact numbers) There are tons of tires out that meet the requirements for a F250 but very few that meet the requirement for a F350. The tires I wanted were only 1 number off of what they felt I needed for my truck. Like 126 instead of 125. Told them I would sign a waver or whatever just sell me the dang tires. They would not do it so I went to a little family own tire shop and bought them there. I understand if your talking about a dually and your going to be pulling some huge loads but on a truck I won't be doing that and the tire I want when looking at the actual weight rating far exceeds the max gross vehicle weight I don't get it.
              This is pretty much where my heads at...

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                I run E rated only on my insanely expensive grocery getters.

It’s for soccer practice too, cool guy!

Comment

Load range and load index aren’t the same thing. Just because they’re E rated doesn’t mean they’re indexed right for your truck.

Load index is in the sticker inside the drivers door.

Comment

Manufacturer specs call for Load Range E for that truck

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                      Load range and load index aren’t the same thing. Just because they’re E rated doesn’t mean they’re indexed right for your truck.

Load index is in the sticker inside the drivers door.
                      Could you please elaborate on this? Thx

Comment

Load index will be for example 129/126Q E on my current tires. The number is a weight rating, what the tire can hold. The Q is a speed rating in mph. Load range E has to do with the number of plies and max psi. D = 8ply 65 psi, E = 10ply 80 psi. At a certain point, usually around 35" or so, tires get so big with so much sidewall that load rating goes down, especially if they are not 10 ply.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                          It’s for soccer practice too, cool guy!

For the record my 2017 F-250 has never pulled a trailer and I have owned it for 12 months(don’t even have a hitch). My 2008 megacab pulled 3 trailers from 2009 to 2017.

Once pulling 2 four wheelers to a deer lease in NC, once pulling a u-haul to Baton Rouge from NC and one more time pulling a sxs and deer blind to South Texas.

It’s a heavy truck so I run E rated tires and it is a certified grocery getter.

Last edited by Black Ice; 02-21-2018, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X