Arrow help.... I think I over did it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow help.... I think I over did it...

So I’m drawing 70 lbs and 27” draw on a Mathews no cam htx. I recently had my DL shortened from 27.5”. I had my arrows cut down and added 75 grain inserts. I was at 430 grain and 280 fps and now I’m at 476 grain and 250 fps. Shooting Easton axis 340 5mm.

I didn’t realize how drastic the drop was going to be out to 40 and 50 yards. I’m sure I have a TON of momentum and KE now but did I over do it? Is there a set up that would give me adequate momentum and KE and put me closer to 285-290 fps? Totally getting discouraged here on loss of fps and sloooooooow arrow at longer range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you will be good there. Should be able to pass through anything.

Comment

I bet it's really quiet and smooth!
      Speed isn't everything.

Comment

Short answer is go back to your original set up. it will be totally fine for just about anything you want to hunt. BUT ... i have been bowhunting for way longer than i care to admit and i have tried all kinds of set ups. i keep coming back to heavier arrows. My average shot distance over 39 yrs of bowhunting has been 17 yds,with only a few shots over 30 yds. I practice at 45 and 50 but that's mainly to work on form and make the 20 yd shots feel easy. I love the quietness and forgiveness a heavier arrow gives me as well as the penetration. I suggest giving this new setup a chance this season unless you are consistenty taking longer shots. Good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

No Cam's aren't fast bows by modern standards (notice I said modern, I remember the days of being excited when a bow would shoot 220), so I wouldn't get too hung up on fps numbers. But if you were happy with the 430 grain arrow just go back to it. If you like how the 476 grain arrow shoots, how many shots do you really take at 50 yards? In 30+ years of bowhunting I have never taken a shot over 35 on whitetails. Having said all that I honestly don't get hung up final numbers. I bareshaft and broadhead tune my arrows and bows and where the weight lands, it lands. Unless my bow seems really loud to me, I don't get hung up thinking a need a heavier arrows. You have to shoot what gives you confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
            Short answer is go back to your original set up. it will be totally fine for just about anything you want to hunt. BUT ... i have been bowhunting for way longer than i care to admit and i have tried all kinds of set ups. i keep coming back to heavier arrows. My average shot distance over 39 yrs of bowhunting has been 17 yds,with only a few shots over 30 yds. I practice at 45 and 50 but that's mainly to work on form and make the 20 yd shots feel easy. I love the quietness and forgiveness a heavier arrow gives me as well as the penetration. I suggest giving this new setup a chance this season unless you are consistenty taking longer shots. Good luck and happy hunting.

So what I’m looking for is a setup that I can use for out west and whitetail. I’m just a little concerned that I went too heavy. My old set up had more KE and more momentum than I have now. I’m at 66 at KE and was around 73 before. Problem I have is with Easton axis arrows, is I can’t get high FOC without having a heavy arrow....

Comment

nothing wrong with 250 fps and a heavier than normal arrow. you wont believe the amount of folks who think their bow is faster than it really is. I ran a chrono at an ASA shoot and one of the most common things I heard was "I thought my bow was faster than that"
              as far as the drop, remember, you adjust your sights to your arrow trajectory. at longer ranges, you either become very good at judging distances or range before the shot.
              I shoot a 515 gr arrow at 268 fps and really like that weight. im even debating on adding another 50 gr just for giggles. I still shoot at the 100 yd target on a regular basis.
              to get your setup to the speeds you desire, you have 3 options:
              1) increase draw length. prolly not an option.
              2) get a higher IBO bow. maybe an option
              3) find a super light grain per inch arrow in the appropriate spine and load up the front of it with a heavier than normal bh. maybe an option
              the biggest factor hurting your speed is your draw length.

Comment

Unless you're shooting 40 plus, I'd take the KE

Comment

Biggest question that needs to be asked is how does it tune. At 60 yards, do your field points and fixed blade broadheads have the same point of impact? Shoot what tunes best, and gives you the most confidence. Adding a 75 grain insert is a substantial amount of weight up front and I would not be surprised if you are underspined now.

Comment

I have always shot heavy carbon arrows at and they are super quiet. My compound is quieter than most recurves.

They smack hard and punch through.

If you are looking for long range pick up a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttechhunter View Post
                      Biggest question that needs to be asked is how does it tune. At 60 yards, do your field points and fixed blade broadheads have the same point of impact? Shoot what tunes best, and gives you the most confidence. Adding a 75 grain insert is a substantial amount of weight up front and I would not be surprised if you are underspined now.
                      He's not

Comment

So I was thinking about something in the 400-425 range. That will increase speed and give me more KE and Momentum than I currently have. I have passed the optimal point and have hit the point of diminishing returns

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                          I bet it's really quiet and smooth!
                          Speed isn't everything.
                          Words of wisdom IMO.

Comment

I have the same draw length and I'm shooting a 486 gr arrow out of a Mathews Halon at 249 fps. Trust me speed is nothing but a number in the Bow world unless your trying to shoot at far ranges with less of a pin gap. I literally am blowing through bones and shoulder with a fixed blade broad head with this set up thanks to Muddy Fuzzy. I also shoot a 450 gr. arrow of a BTX shooting at 262 fps. Heavy arrows with F.O.C is what I believe in now it gives me the confidence I need if I make a mistake

Comment

You can go with something like an Easton Hexx shaft in a 330 spine (7.9gr) and add a 75 grain brass insert. With a 27" arrow and 100 grain broadheads that puts you at around 420 grains or more if you shoot a lighted nock.

Comment

Working...
                              X