Upland Hunting Lease/Club/Preserve near San Antonio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upland Hunting Lease/Club/Preserve near San Antonio

Is there any Hunting Club or Preserve near San Antonio that you can hunt quail and pheasant unguided/self hunt on and not spend an arm and a leg? I prefer to hunt wild birds over pen raised birds, but beggars can't be choosers. I remember that near Thrall Texas there was a Spanish Oak Hunting Club that has closed in the past few years. Membership dues were 500 or so and hunts were relatively inexpensive (100 bucks for 10 quail) compared to the typical 300 dollar half day hunts. I know the only current club/preserve that is fairly close called Top Flight near Columbus. 600 for a yearly membership and then the birds are priced 7-9 dollars per bird (dependent on species) for what ever amount you wish.

I am not opposed to hunting on public land, but since I am new to it here, I am not sure really where to go to find good hunting. That and most of them that have bird hunting available are a good drive (3+ hours) away from SA.

I am open to a joining a lease, I just haven't been able to find one that meets my needs.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations?

A couple of places come to mind for Upland Bird hunting near San Antonio;
    Paloma Pachanga - http://www.palomapachanga.com/hunting/quail-hunts/
    Joshua Creek Ranch - http://www.joshuacreek.com/wingshooting

Comment

Sorry those are way to expensive for my blood. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Passed signs for a place on hwy 21 to college station for many years. Want to say maybe east of a bastrop.

Comment

In short the answer to it is no there's not a place to go public or cheaply. Texan's like to hunt and if you don't own the land you'll pay handsomely for the chance. I've done a few hunts near Millican (Walton Ranch) that the pricing was reasonable. Aside of that you'll need a roadie to KS or OK. I do it in IA.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
            Passed signs for a place on hwy 21 to college station for many years. Want to say maybe east of a bastrop.
            I heard there is something by Giddings, could that be it?

Comment

Working...
            X