Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to clear out a lot of trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I need to clear out a lot of trees?

Purchased a few acres and would like to clear out land. I would like to attempt to do it myself, my pride is taking over in wanting to know that I worked on the land myself and didn't pay someone to do it. Only have about 10 mesquite trees to knock down. What all do i need? Rentals? Equipment? How do I pull stumps from ground once they are knocked down, etc. Looking to build a home there in a year, but would like to get a head start on the landscaping.

Rent an excavator and dig them up then burn them.

Comment

Yep, mini excavator is the way to go for just 10 mesquites.

Comment

I think about a backhoe might work best. Most of those minis won't dig thru a root ball.

Comment

But it will cost about the same just to hire it done.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            But it will cost about the same just to hire it done.
            I know, I'm stubborn though. I want to sit back in the future and drink a few brews knowing I did that. Its just a me thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightinaggies View Post
              Rent an excavator and dig them up then burn them.
              Im assuming dig around the roots then start lifting?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyguitarguy View Post
                Im assuming dig around the roots then start lifting?
                Yes sir get a mini x and dig around them and then grab under the root ball and pull it out. I have used backhoes and d3 dozers to take out trees alot of people said wouldn't be dropped by one. Its all about digging around the roots and breaking them then pushing it over.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I know I’m going to catch h*** for this but, as a wife, i would be very nervous if my husband were renting a piece of heavy equipment that he’s never operated before. I understand your need for pride of place, I really do, but NOTHING is worth an accident that causes permanent injury or even death. (As an example, I refer you to previous posts such as...and I‘m paraphrasing here...”What Was Something You Did and Were Angry About at the Time but You Now Think is Funny,” because I can assure you, your wife doesn’t.)

Please consider hiring someone with an excavator or dozer who knows how to use it. The operator will save you from making mistakes all first-timers make because he’s already made them. Besides, rental equipment is always low-grade and suffers a lot of abuse. It never works right. Why hassle with it?

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                    I know I’m going to catch h*** for this but, as a wife, i would be very nervous if my husband were renting a piece of heavy equipment that he’s never operated before. I understand your need for pride of place, I really do, but NOTHING is worth an accident that causes permanent injury or even death. (As an example, I refer you to previous posts such as...and I‘m paraphrasing here...”What Was Something You Did and Were Angry About at the Time but You Now Think is Funny,” because I can assure you, your wife doesn’t.)

Please consider hiring someone with an excavator or dozer who knows how to use it. The operator will save you from making mistakes all first-timers make because he’s already made them. Besides, rental equipment is always low-grade and suffers a lot of abuse. It never works right. Why hassle with it?
                    Understandable. I used to work for Holt Cat and operated excavators skid and backhoes regularly. That was my past life. Now Im a Business teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
                      Yes sir get a mini x and dig around them and then grab under the root ball and pull it out. I have used backhoes and d3 dozers to take out trees alot of people said wouldn't be dropped by one. Its all about digging around the roots and breaking them then pushing it over.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      Thanks a bunch.

Comment

what size are the mesquites?

Comment

Cut them off about 3' up where you can get the machine up close to dig between and around the roots.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            I think about a backhoe might work best. Most of those minis won't dig thru a root ball.
                            The bigger the machine the better, for sure. most folks just don't have the means to move a backhoe.

Comment

Jerk em out with your truck post videos for us to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X