Matagorda Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matagorda Island

A heads up to anyone thinking of heading out there. Hurricane Harvey took out much of the infrastructure. The check station/orientation building only has two sides. Several of the picnic spots got washed away completely and all of them have damage. The roofs are gone so be prepared.

We were drawn for the either sex hunt and it was brutal! 35 MPH winds, sleet and snow with 5-8 foot seas battering the boat docks. Of the eight boats tied up for the hunt only five left under their own power. One sank at the slip. The island flooded making the slog to the stand through hip deep water (in places) a real chore. I kid you not. We received an email suggesting hunters bring waders to access some of the stands.

The hunt coordinators did an outstanding job and were friendly and helpful. It is just the island you have to be prepared for.

Did anyone have success? I applied but wasn’t drawn. I live here in Matagorda county so am hoping one day to get drawn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They usually have standby openings. If I lived closer I would be there all the time trying to get in on a standby.

Comment

Working...
      X