No announcement yet.

Welding help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 110V wire welders are hard to beat for hobbyists. I've made many things with mine & I've got a 220V stick welder for the heavier stuff.

Comment

As others have said it really depends on how serious you want to get into the hobby. I eased into the hobby b/c I didn't know if it was really my cup of tea. I started with a cheap Harbor Freight flux core wire welder that I bought 2nd hand off of a friend and did all sorts of light-duty projects with it before I wanted to get into bigger stuff.

I then bought a (used) Lincoln AC/DC stick welder and after A LOT of YouTube and A LOT of stuck rods & running beads I got pretty comfortable with stick and built my first BBQ pit. https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=640761

I've since upgraded and got an ESAB Rebel Mig setup 120/240V combo and built a 4'x6' welding table, bought a cutting torch setup and really have started to dive into the hobby. I've got another pit project I'm working on along with a metal gazebo for the house & a few others.

If I had to make a suggestion, start with the biggest 120V Mig (used or new) machine you can find b/c those machines generally give you the option of running with gas or no gas. First project should be to build a welding table and/or welding cart...it'll make your future projects go so much quicker & easier.
      Last edited by JonBoy; 11-15-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I own a miller 135 110 rig and a 220 miller I use the 135 for 99% of everything . To me I cannot stand a " click type controller" I like a power and feed that I can adjust to what I am welding .

I just had to replace the gun on it bought it new back on 2006 I think I can deal with that .

Guy on Ebay has one in austin for 650 with bottle and cart that is a great deal.. I dislike non gas welding if I can avoid it .

I would sell my 220 welder before the little 135 . I have take it out and run it off a 2000 watt HF gen set and it runs right along just fine .

Good luck . if you where closer I would tell you to come by the shop and I would let you take it for a test drive.. many welding shops that sell products still do this .

Comment

If you are going to be welding inside a shop, get a MIG, not a flux wire, wire welder, but a actual MIG, with 75/25 argon carbon dioxide. A MIG will weld much better than a flux wire welder, once you learn to use it.
          If you are going to be welding outside, then you need a stick welder. If I were you, I would get a MIG for inside work and a stick for outside work. If you get a stick welder to weld outside, you would need one with a generator on it.

Comment

I was in the exact same place you are last year. Wanted to learn but didn’t know where to start. I bought a machine that was more capable than I needed simply because I didn’t know what all I’d be getting into. After one year of learning and doing projects, I can say that a 110v MIG is all you need. You can make some “last a lifetime” stuff with 1/8” stock. A 220v machine will have a better duty cycle, but I haven’t needed it so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
              Hobart Handler 140 will be ideal for your projects listed. I’ve built many of feeders and deer stand towers with mine. Get a 10ga extension cord and plug into a dedicated plug, and you can move the machine wherever you need it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              This
              I bought one from TSC about a year ago for light jobs it's been a good little machine. If you are looking for something for heavy work go with a miller bobcat 250.

Comment

I have this and it’s perfect for small projects.
                Never Welded? No Problem! True 90 Amp MIG Welder is a Perfect First Welder Industry leading 3 Year Warranty Confidence backed 90 day trial period Weld up to 1/8

Comment

I got old stick machine 40y..and a hobart MIG 150 handler.20y.. Both have places...Stick can handle older rusty metal better and heavier.Wind is not much problem...Mig flux core is OK but messy (splatter)......Gas shield with mig is beautiful clean.The only problem MIG is you gota be out of wind esp with gas...Wind /fan blows gas shield away and make sloppy weld......With flux core wind is a little more tolerable...

A friend was welding when I came in his barn..He said this MIG ain't worth a dam..with gas..I said cut that fan off and try again...He was Happy Welder but Hot..

with stick AC machine.my favorite Rod is Hi Alloy -Marvel Weld...it is a little more exp but it will make you look like a pro

Comment

I showed this TIG work to my wife, she said nice work.
                    She trained in the Navy to weld and spent some time welding live wells and seat post for Ranger Boats some years back.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                      If you are going to be welding inside a shop, get a MIG, not a flux wire, wire welder, but a actual MIG, with 75/25 argon carbon dioxide. A MIG will weld much better than a flux wire welder, once you learn to use it.
                      If you are going to be welding outside, then you need a stick welder. If I were you, I would get a MIG for inside work and a stick for outside work. If you get a stick welder to weld outside, you would need one with a generator on it.

Couldn’t have said it better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m not the most experienced but I think the Hobart 140 would fit what you need pretty well. It’s just under $500 and will do MIG and Flux‑cored plus it comes with the regulator and hoses for your gas setup.

Comment

Working...
                        X