Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Originally posted by J.C. View Post
    Made a trip to western Rocksprings this past weekend. Whitetail movement was very good, coming to corn like they have nothing to eat. I did not witness any sign of the rut getting started. All the boys and girls were playing nice. Something that was different was the amount of axis I saw. This is my second year and I can count on one hand how many I've seen on the hoof. I saw 5 groups in just this weekend!! Could this be from the flood?? Has any high fence people lost animals due to damaged fences? I'm not complaining by any means, just curious of why they show up all of a sudden in such numbers. Good luck folks!!

The axis seem to really move around and ‘migrate’. Sometimes we’ll be loaded with axis crawling all over the place and other times they seem to have vanished. The floods definitely knocked some fence down though.

Good luck to all this weekend, I’m headed to Laguna Atascosa on a draw hunt to hopefully stick a Nilgai. Unfortunately I’m not sure when I’ll make it out the hill country next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Headed out Friday morning thru Monday with the wife. Gonna get her to bag 2-3 deer hopefully. And any hogs that walk out. Crossing my fingers for an axis, but we don’t have very many out there.

Comment

Two big bodied 8 pointers, 1 heavy horned outside the ears, the other at the ears were chasing doe with their necks down at 7am just outside camp wood. .

Comment

Edwards/real

Originally posted by theblakester03 View Post
          Two big bodied 8 pointers, 1 heavy horned outside the ears, the other at the ears were chasing doe with their necks down at 7am just outside camp wood. .

That’s good news !! Can’t wait..

Comment

Headed down this weekend. Looking forward to seeing if the deer are moving or not. Going to try to hammer the hogs for sure. Weather looks like it is going to be pretty dang nice!

Comment

Originally posted by theblakester03 View Post
              I forwarded this question to my dad who runs the water corp for his neighborhood. That has give or take 30 meters on it.

"Drilled down to 600 ft and hit water... Drilled further and installed pump at 750 ft into the water. Drilled 50 ft further so we could extend deeper into the aquifer if we should ever start sucking air or aquifer got too low... Well is drilled to 800 ft
              Cost is 40 dollars a ft to drill .. expect to hit water at 500 ft... Estimated total.. $ 20,000.
              Trinity aquifer.... There are 3 levels ... First level, not good quality... Crown mountain water system in the second level. A little cleaner.... Less metals... Third level is at 1200 ft crystal clean."

Thank you for asking and sharing that detailed information. Also, 1200 ft is pretty **** far

Comment

Well.. it’s actually been a weird weekend.. there really haven’t been much movement at all. Maybe the Bucks are on lock down some where with a doe.. we are seeing fewer and fewer does. We did get a dang good buck fight on video though. These dudes where getting after it. Wish I knew how to load it up.

Comment

I had a good weekend at our lease. Deer were moving pretty good. Couldn't have asked for better hunting weather although the wind was blowing kind of hard Sunday morning. Good news is we have seen some new bucks on our game cams and have not lost any of our better bucks.

Comment

Made a trip down there this past weekend. Between 4 of us we shot 6 does, a cull buck, and 7 hogs. Saw many bucks showing strong interest in does. Even mature bucks 5.5 years old. I would guess they’re about ready to breed if not already. Peak rut is upon us in Edwards County.

Comment

My daughters and I had a pretty good hunt.

Her axis was definitely an old timer

Comment

Wow Ryan I’d say he was an old fart for sure! Looks like a good time!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
                          My daughters and I had a pretty good hunt.

Her axis was definitely an old timer

Awesome

Comment

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Some good animals hitting the ground! I’ve only got one Edwards county trip in this fall but am going to try to make it this weekend. Wish the temps weren’t scheduled to rise back up though.

No Nilgai luck for me on the draw hunt but I did whack a big sow and passed on some small deer.

Comment

Arrowed a decent buck Saturday evening with just enough light to make a good shot. Came in following a doe with twin fawns. Staged for a bit, sniffed a oak branch that many bucks have been using to leave their scent behind, and came into cottonseed basket at 20 yards from my tripod. Watched him run 60-70 yards. Didn’t find my arrow, but he took off like a scalded dog. Started tracking an hour later. Buddy found first blood where I lost track of the deer. I found the buck seconds later 20 yards from where by buddy had found blood. Made a great shot on him very tight to shoulder and lower third of chest cavity. Found my arrow the following morning. It blew right though him ten yards beyond where he was standing in some tall grass. I need to invest in lighted nocks going forward. Tracking deer in the dark sucks too. Much prefer killing in daylight. Taped out at 116 and field dressed 102 pounds. Estimated at 4.5 with no previous history. I imagine he came off the overgrazed sheep pasture next door to us. The deer will kill that are on our feed regularly are much heavier.

Comment

Edwards

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                                Some good animals hitting the ground! I’ve only got one Edwards county trip in this fall but am going to try to make it this weekend. Wish the temps weren’t scheduled to rise back up though.

No Nilgai luck for me on the draw hunt but I did whack a big sow and passed on some small deer.
                                Heck ya Patton !!! Big ol Nasty !!! I havent been to the ranch n 2 weeks and probably not for another few weeks. Guys at the lease are saying they are moving..maybe I’ll catch them coming back to feed and fueling up when i get back...

Comment

Working...
                                X