No announcement yet.

Volunteering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About 10 years ago we started a group at church that builds wheelchair ramps around our part of the county. Some are built for church members but the large majority of the people are referred to us by county agencies. The group now runs like a well-oiled machine. Someone goes out a few days before to take measurements and draw up the design. The night before build day another crew pre-builds most of it at a member's shop. On build day another crew can get it installed in just a couple of hours. It is a very diverse group of men and women. It is also a great opportunity for kids to serve and learn to use basic tools

Comment

Volunteer at church regularly - just another way to stay plugged in at the church and something my wife and I can do together.
      Emmanuel Labor - serving homeless in Collin County. Started this fall/winter. A guy at my church runs it, I heard about it and felt God wanted me to get involved.
      Football coach for the past 6 seasons for my son's team, if that counts - My dad coached my baseball teams before playing select. I wanted to create those memories with my son and be a positive role model for the kids on my team.
      My wife and I are foster parents also - God called us to fostering 3 years ago. Strictly obedience to God, not something I wanted to do by any stretch. In 3 years we've had 11 placements, may get to adopt our current placement later this year; depending on the outcome of a trial in April we'll be adopting a 9 and 4 year old privately too.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        About 10 years ago we started a group at church that builds wheelchair ramps around our part of the county. Some are built for church members but the large majority of the people are referred to us by county agencies. The group now runs like a well-oiled machine. Someone goes out a few days before to take measurements and draw up the design. The night before build day another crew pre-builds most of it at a member's shop. On build day another crew can get it installed in just a couple of hours. It is a very diverse group of men and women. It is also a great opportunity for kids to serve and learn to use basic tools
        There's a group up here in the N. Dallas area that does this. They're going to put one in for my dad.

Comment

I used to be much more involved in a number of organizations but life has gotten in the way over the last couple of years.

Currently I volunteer for a number of events with Dallas Safari Club.

Comment

united way
            habitat for humanity
            boys and girls club
            special Olympics
            The company I work for provides many different opportunities to give back to our communities that we serve. I am grateful for it and learn many life lessons a long the way.

Comment

Myself and another TBR started a Non-Profit Organization called Deployed Family Outdoors, we take the families of our Military on hunting, fishing, and adventure trips.

https://www.deployedfamilyoutdoors.com/

Deployed Family Outdoors is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization dedicated to serving and supporting our military and their families by providing unique and unforgettable outdoor adventures which strengthen family relationships and create valuable, lifelong lessons and memories. Through generous donations and support, we provide for our servicemen and women’s families while they protect our nation.

Comment

TonyPic---have you figured how to teach them to not curl their fingers and pull the arrow off the rest? I have suggested that the bows all have Whisker Biscuits on them to fix that problem.

Comment

I did 9 years with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, and I am currently volunteering for the Central Houston CCA chapter.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                    TonyPic---have you figured how to teach them to not curl their fingers and pull the arrow off the rest? I have suggested that the bows all have Whisker Biscuits on them to fix that problem.
                    As you can see/know...that is what happens. We should be getting some upgraded equipment next year. We put in for a grant from the county Friends of the NRA and it looks like we are going to get it. NHFD beats the crap out of our bows and arrows. New strings, sticks and I am going to suggest whisker biscuits I also want some of the Micro Geneisis bows for the little ones who can't pull the 20lbs of the standard Genesis.

Comment

Dust and Tony, we usually suggest (insist) the three finger under the nock, seems to keep the arrows on the rest better. Nothing worse than a Genesis rest and a kid that won't follow instructions. Sometimes we just roll with it, make it fun rather than instructive.

Comment

Working...
                      X