Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do, Entergy Phone Scam. Beware!

Ok guys, almost got scammed....

Guy calls my number from 800-368-3749 and informs me that my bill is past due and they are going to shut off my service within 24 hours. Claimed that they mailed out a notice 10 days ago. Tells me to call Entergy directly at 936-262-1588.

I call the number, sounds like Entergy but as I select from menu I get a live person with 30 seconds (you know that never happens). Guy tells me same info.... I say, witch account? He says the AC business account.... Well I don't have an AC business account..... So he backtracks a little as I probe him for more info... He had my address and phone number but no idea that account was under personal name.

They both spoke good English and I expect they are operating here in the states.

I was in a business and this same scam went on about 6 months ago.

How can we put a stop to this crap?
    How can we put these people away?
    Can we get a drone to track the number and drop a bomb on there azz before they rip more law abiding people off?

Obviously this happens a lot, just google the 800# and look at the responses you get. Why can this continue to happen in this country?

I've been complaining about this for decades. Seems no one cares.... Until someone they know gets ripped off THEN they care...

I agree, track them down and have no mercy on them. Tazer them until their hearts stop...maybe let one or two live to spread the word.

Comment

So how does this scam work? They want you to give them a credit card # or something over the phone? Obviously they couldn't get anything if you mailed in the payment.

Comment

Was at an archery tourney couple of years ago. In my group was a gentleman who works for a security company that works on these scams. He said it is endless andante very difficult to track down. There is way too much work but have to work the bigger security breaches, like the ones that affect this country from other countries.

Comment

Same thing happened to a friend in Orange yesterday except that they even had the exact amounts on the invoice. There was a massive overcharge on their invoice, she had yet to receive the updated invoice so the lady at the 936 area code number sent it over. She knew something was wrong as their bill is only $28-30 a month for a security light and it was almost $10K, the meter was read wrong.

Anyway, they needed $1200 to not shut it off. She called Entergy and they confirmed it was a scam, and had her send a picture of the meter over to adjust the misread number. Her main question was "How does someone other than Entergy have my exact account info??"

Comment

Sounds like Entergy got hacked and they aren't saying a thing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Her main question was "How does someone other than Entergy have my exact account info??"
              That seems to be the real issue. To have a particular company brand that these people are using to try and scam their customers, there is either a breach into their data or inside job.

Comment

Talking with others, the same scam is going on all around us, this week.... What the heck! Someone needs to provide a path that these individuals and they need to be caught. With the dollar amounts it's all felony fraud and I am sure racketeering.

Comment

Report it to the Texas AG's office they will investigate.

Comment

What I don't understand about not being caught....They have an account for phone service. If I want a new landline for any reason, somebody somewhere knows who I am, and I get billed for that line. How is this not able to be traced? Obviously there is a way to stay undetected...Me, I would get hammered for trying to steal cable, yet these pricks are invisible.

Comment

OP, when I got divorced back in '86, both my water and phone service got shut off. I was notified by certified letter on both, not by phone. I think the certified letter is the legal way to be notified.

Comment

i got the same phone call yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Xrod View Post
                          What I don't understand about not being caught....They have an account for phone service. If I want a new landline for any reason, somebody somewhere knows who I am, and I get billed for that line. How is this not able to be traced? Obviously there is a way to stay undetected...Me, I would get hammered for trying to steal cable, yet these pricks are invisible.

Most of the time it’s actually not a real number, without an account/phone service. The scam is done all through voice over internet. Makes it pretty much impossible to track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't answer phone if you don't know the number, problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                            X