Mutual Funds or ETFs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mutual Funds or ETFs?

Ok, for you in theTBH braintrust, I just switched jobs and will roll some 401k money into a an IRA. Which investments are working for you right now? I turned 50 today so Im about 15 to 18 years away from retirement hopefully. I need to be "aggressively conservative" would be a good term for my investment strategy. And yes, I know I need a professional advisor.

I did this years ago when I switched jobs and with mutual funds and an advisor turned $50,000 into over 1 million as it sits now, but it took close to 30 years to do it. Your time frame is less so there may be a different path that will work better for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
      I did this years ago when I switched jobs and with mutual funds and an advisor turned $50,000 into over 1 million as it sits now, but it took close to 30 years to do it. Your time frame is less so there may be a different path that will work better for you.
      Congrats! Sent you a pm.

Comment

This depends on how much time you want to spend managing the account. Also, how knowledgeable you are about the market.

ETF = Low fees but require some management unless you just dump it into a market fund.

Mutual Fund = Higher fees, but it's a hands of approach most of the time.

Bottom line, if you have more than $50k in that account it's worth sitting down with a financial advisor to discuss your plans.

Comment

I agree with ryan. Of course the longer the better for your mutual funds which is exactly what I would do. Heres a good one to look at but of course getting a hold of a financial advisor would be the way to go. https://www.americanfunds.com/indivi...nts/fund/aivsx

Maybe this is an aggressive conservative type of fund. It has stood the test of time and not backed down at all

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE-Z View Post
            I agree with ryan. Of course the longer the better for your mutual funds which is exactly what I would do. Heres a good one to look at but of course getting a hold of a financial advisor would be the way to go. https://www.americanfunds.com/indivi...nts/fund/aivsx

Maybe this is an aggressive conservative type of fund. It has stood the test of time and not backed down at all
            We have had excellent luck with this fund.

Comment

Ive had good luck with Fidelity mutual funds. Been with them since 1991. Not all mutual funds are high fees. Do your homework. Financial advisor? No way. Take your own classes on financial advising yourself and save a boatload of $.

Comment

Hell I'd dump it all into Bitcoin. You may be able to retire by the end of this year.

Comment

Consider going Vanguard & their mutual fund choices. Perform well and some of the lowest expense ratios. That’s what I did when I rolled an older 401k balance into an IRA

Comment

What was your prior ROI in your 401(k) prior to the transition? I'd say you should be able to meet your retirement needs depending on how much you're able to contribute per pay period within your new 401(k) alone. You've got an advantage now that you're 50. You can put away about $6k more. I've been able to get anywhere from 10-15% by investing in Dodge and Cox stock fund and T.Rowe price Instl large cap growth

5 Star rating with morning star for the T.Rowe Price fund
                    Attached Files

Comment

Couple things to keep in mind:

1) The last ~10 years have been easy.
                      2) Past performance is not a predictor of future results.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                        Couple things to keep in mind:

1) The last ~10 years have been easy.
                        2) Past performance is not a predictor of future results.
                        YES!

I just invested $30k the other day separate from my 401k as it was just sitting in a CD getting 1.1%

SO I picked some good American Funds as even in a hot market when It drops I should be able to keep it in long term and get higher then my CD %.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                          Not all mutual funds are high fees. Do your homework. Financial advisor? No way. Take your own classes on financial advising yourself and save a boatload of $.
                          This is what I am doing even tho my parents are advisors. So I got into my funds with no fee's thru them

But I have been learning the last 2-3 months myself, from a good buddy and my advisor parents.

So all I pay is the % from the funds.

Comment

Working...
                          X