Water heater replacement cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water heater replacement cost

Woke up to a very cold shower this morning and a reminder that my wife has been saying that the water heater is acting up. Pilot won’t light and the drip pan is about 1/2 full. The unit is 12 yds old.

How much is this going to cost to replace? I know the heater itself is about $550-600. What should I expect for labor?

It looks easy enough, but I’ve never done one and can’t realky take a day off feel my way through it or chance not getting it installed properly. Plumber is on his way now

Another $500+ I bet.

Comment

I paid $500 for the tank and and another $500 for the labor plus an extra $100 or so because it was in the attic.

Comment

That’s about what I had expected.

Comment

If you have easy access it's no big deal to do it yourself. My water heater is gas and the unit cost me around $300. I installed it myself with no issues.

Comment

What heater you have? How old they can be repaired...

Look at the plumbing supply places ypu can often get them cheaper, check out morrison supply things like that.

350ish for a heater can be found. Labor is market and company dependent... looks like your in lubbock, i got no contacts there, in dfw i would send you a buddies number

Comment

We have 2, and one of them isn't working. All copper piping, so I am sure it will be costly to replace. If not for the copper I would do it myself, they are pretty easy but a little time consuming.

Comment

We just had ours done in January and it cost about $750.00 if I recall correctly. Code updates were the biggest part of the costs as our old water heater was over 12 yrs. old. BTW, ours is a gas water heater, and boy have they changed.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Ours is gas as well.

Comment

About $1k total. 12 year old tank is probably half full of sediment anyway

Comment

I had to replace mine the week of Thanksgiving. Gas, in the attic but close to ladder, and copper piping. I have to get the short, fat one due to location and ventilation. Because of the energy saving regulations that were passed a few years back I had to downsize from 50 to 40 gallons. New and improved 50 gallon was two inches wider diameter.
                      Cost right at $1000 for heater and labor.

Comment

If there is water in the pan you need to get it fixed TODAY!

That leak is getting ready to blow and cascade water like you have never seen before!

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                          If there is water in the pan you need to get it fixed TODAY!

That leak is getting ready to blow and cascade water like you have never seen before!
                          Hook up a garden hose and drain it completely. You can drain it into the pan slowly and it will flow to the outside.

Comment

Man I didnt realize they were so much to install!

They are pretty easy to do

Comment

Drain the tank before you try to move it, or it’s too heavy for a 2 man lift. Garden hose to outside.

If you’re not comfortable doing a water and gas electrical connection, call 3 plumbers and ask how much to replace a water heater? Have your current model number ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X