Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A/C question - mismatched HVAC systems??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C question - mismatched HVAC systems??

just found out that my Carrier airhandler fan motor is dead & will run me ca. $1000 to replace the motor (1 year warranty) and i can get a new Carrier airhandler for $2000 (installed). But i also priced a Lennox air handler for $1800 (installed).

So i'm thinking about replacing the old air handler with the new Lennox but I'm wondering if it's wise to have a mismatched Carrier heat pump and the Lennox air handler? i just don't want to create bigger/more expensive problems for myself later down the road.

would appreciate it if someone could offer some thoughts or insights about mismatched systems.

Thanks.

Not a problem, if size is equivalent

Comment

Don't do much residential but that sure sounds like a special high dollar motor

Comment

Originally posted by gusman View Post
        Don't do much residential but that sure sounds like a special high dollar motor
        I have to agree, even the ECM motors aren't that much to replace.

Can you take the cover off of the air handler and take a pic ?

Comment

If you feel your technical skills are sufficient I would remove air handler blower motor and take to local hvac distributor to find a replacement. Swap them and call it a day for a fraction of cost. In the past I have swapped air handler blower assemblies for under 300 bucks my cost.

Comment

Originally posted by deer99hunter View Post
            I have to agree, even the ECM motors aren't that much to replace.

Can you take the cover off of the air handler and take a pic ?
            I'm at the office now so I can't post up a pic now but i did a little poking around before i left home and the motor is a 1/2 HP, 1.5 amp....i believe it is an ECM motor (tech told me it uses DC power). I've called a couple of places here in Austin and both are quoting me right around $1000....

Thanks for y'alls input.

Comment

Originally posted by TxArcheo View Post
              I'm at the office now so I can't post up a pic now but i did a little poking around before i left home and the motor is a 1/2 HP, 1.5 amp....i believe it is an ECM motor (tech told me it uses DC power). I've called a couple of places here in Austin and both are quoting me right around $1000....

Thanks for y'alls input.
              Correct, ECM motor. Do you know the age of it ? MIGHT still be under warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by deer99hunter View Post
                Correct, ECM motor. Do you know the age of it ? MIGHT still be under warranty.
                it's a ca. 8 year old unit and not so lucky as it's out of warranty. Oddly enough i had to replace the motor when i first moved into the home ca 3 years ago and it was under warranty then...luckily so.

Thanks again...

Comment

You should look into your real problem. If you have Had failures of 2 variable motors in under 8 years I guarantee you have an airflow issue of some sort....undersized return, undersized supply volume, dirty coil, dirty filter, ect.....

Those motors are usually quite reliable if they can breathe. Just about every one I have replaced (hundreds) has had an airflow issue.

And I would be willing to bet that the replacement air handler for $1800 bucks probably doesn't have a variable motor, so even though it will work, you will likely lose some efficiency.

Just my 2 cents. Pm me if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                    You should look into your real problem. If you have Had failures of 2 variable motors in under 8 years I guarantee you have an airflow issue of some sort....undersized return, undersized supply volume, dirty coil, dirty filter, ect.....

Those motors are usually quite reliable if they can breathe. Just about every one I have replaced (hundreds) has had an airflow issue.

And I would be willing to bet that the replacement air handler for $1800 bucks probably doesn't have a variable motor, so even though it will work, you will likely lose some efficiency.

Just my 2 cents. Pm me if you have any questions.
                    I asked the tech why I've had 2 failures & I got a blank stare :-/
                    I have an additional question so pm inbound.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Comment

Its probably the X13 Motor and yes those can cost around $400-$500. If its a variable speed carrier it could be more. I have seen many DC drive motors fail including my own personal one. I'm not convinced its due to air flow issues. But thats a good story to get the monkey off their backs.

Comment

Have you called Hamilton Electric in Austin? Several year ago our air handler motor died and I took it to Hamilton (mine was not a variable).

Comment

Originally posted by LWolken View Post
                          Its probably the X13 Motor and yes those can cost around $400-$500. If its a variable speed carrier it could be more. I have seen many DC drive motors fail including my own personal one. I'm not convinced its due to air flow issues. But thats a good story to get the monkey off their backs.
                          I have replaced probably 6 or 7 of those X13 motors in the past 6 months. They have them on Lennox units as well as carrier units. 3 of em I replaced in the span of a month, warehouse had so many back orders for them going down that it took 2 weeks to get the new motor in. We had to rob one out of an existing unit in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                            Have you called Hamilton Electric in Austin? Several year ago our air handler motor died and I took it to Hamilton (mine was not a variable).
                            Did they sell you a new replacement? I'm not opposed to replacing it myself if finding a motor out there is a possibility.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X