No announcement yet.

Lbj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is it safe to "roost birds" in the evenings before a morning hunt like you see on TV, or would that be considered another dumb move by the elite public hunters? Just curious. I don't turkey hunt, and stuff like this makes me not really want to start. It's just like duck hunting. No room for error as you learn your way through things if doing so on public land. Everyone will tell you what an idiot you are but don't really want to offer any useful advice.

BossBowman's reply is my case in point. I DON'T know anything about turkey hunting, but Lord help me if I make a mistake in learning. Matter of fact, your reply makes me feel like I'm not welcomed to learn. My luck, if I take your advice and try to find droppings or tracks, I'll get bashed for walking all over the woods and educating or pushing the birds to new roosting areas by trying to find droppings or tracks.

My bottom line unsolicited opinion? If you have such big problem with the "idiots", get a lease. Otherwise, the "idiots" are part of the equation on public land. If they are being "idiots" in a particular compartment, go to a different one. It's not like there's a shortage of compartments up there.

At least my first post managed to coax a few helpful tips out of the group.

Comment

Fun

This is supposed to be fun. Larry, chill out, nobody's bashing you or the other public land hunters. We all know the frustration of hunting with folks of all skill levels.

Try the owl hoot. Learn to do it with your mouth. Listen to the real owls and hoot away. You may sound like an "idiot" but don't we all. I laugh at myself sometimes at how bad I sound, then laugh more when the turkeys gobble back.

Try roosting them in the evening. You have to wait till dark but at least you'll go to bed knowing where some birds are. The next morning slip in to about 200 yds and "Hoot" loudly. When they gobble back, sneak in as close as you can and set up. No noise. If you hear a hen/hens nearby try to set up between her and the gobbler/gobblers.

Good luck and feel welcome to the fire.

Comment

Salty,

You, me, Bob, Mike, and Toona can all go out and we will show you the ropes. It is a fun hunt. You are always welcome at our fire. You know that.

Turkey hunting is the easiest, and the hardest hunting in my opinion. It is easy in its methods (basically you use sex as a lure), but hard when the birds wont cooperate. Turkey are smart. Real smart. That said, they do the dumbest things sometimes and follow their thingy around too much at times. That is where we come in.

I plan on being out there this upcoming weekend.

You are more than welcome.

Dave in Denton

Comment

Not sure why my post was deleted. And I have the right to free speech? I guess that is now open to interpretation and cannot defend myself from the accusations and grievances that have been levelled against me.

Comment

You can ask for help and I'm sure there are plenty willing to give advice. Are they going to give you their deepest and best kept secrets, no. That has to be earned as far as I'm concerned. However, plenty are willing to get you pointed in the right direction so it is a better experience for everyone, especially on public land. You can walk around in the woods as long as you're attentive and pay attention to what's going on. Turkeys are pretty vocal this time of year, and more often than not they'll give their location away without you bustin' them out of the county. It's almost time to whack them.

Comment

It's not my time of the month. You led with...

Saw some idiot yelping to public land birds this morning north of decatur. If you are on here, thanks for nuthin bud.
              ...and I took exception to it. The "good roosting and scouting advice put forth on here already" didn't come until after my post, which was my intent.

It would be your loss for not wanting to share a field with me. I'm not clueless, and I'm never short on my research. I'm always one to share as much as I can on Grapevine public hunting. Helping each other out is the point of this forum, not calling people idiots for trying. I don't know nearly as much about LBJ, but I'm finding more and more guys griping and complaining about the increase in pressure out there. I've seen two or three other hunters out there in my trips the last few years. Like you said, see someone parked, move on.

Matter of fact, if someone wants to know where the turkey are gobbling out at the Vine, hit me up. I was fishing a few weeks ago, thought I heard some clucking and birds roosting. I promise, I only gave them one mouth call. I tried not to educate them, but they wouldn't quit gobbling!

Seriously, hopefully no hard feelings. I've managed to make it six plus years on this forum without getting crossways with anyone. Pay no mind to the post counts and join dates you see on the user profiles. We were all re-set back in October. Welcome to the campfire. I hope you have years of beneficial posts ahead of you.

Hi Dave! You're not talking about another extreme hunt, are you?

Comment

If you have such big problem with the "idiots", get a lease.
                I do have a lease, I was just explaining what I THOUGHT was common sense.

Comment

I am sorry for calling the idiot an idiot. I am all for helping out people but I think some people know better but they just dont care and it is all about themselves and who cares if they mess anyones hunt up. Good luck and keep after them toms- beards, spurs, and over-weight is the only way to go-let them jakes walk for another day. Be careful and please make sure of your target before pulling the trigger- you cant put the shot back in the shell.

Comment

I am sorry for calling the idiot an idiot

On a lighter note...do any of you go after them with bow and arrow out there?

Comment

First will be by shotgun. Second will be by bow.

Comment

Can I put in my 2 cents here? I have never had a problem with people going out to scout for the birds as I know they will push the things towards my area that I will be hunting. I just go for the relaxation of the hunt and to take a little built up frustrations out on dem helpless birds.

I enjoy turkey hunting as I can use mosquito spray with out alarming any game that I am after. Then there are people like Toona, Mike, Dave and John that I enjoy seeing since I haven't seen them since deer season. Yes I will be out there this weekend, yelping, chirping and purring trying to get one of them horny birds to come close enough so I can pop his head off.

I'm finished. Hey Larry I too thought there was some name calling but that is me, I see things in these threads that no one else sees.....LOL

Comment

Larry- why all the snide remarks to me? If you took offense to the idiot/idiot response, maybe you should do everyone a favor and stop calling to the birds before the season even starts. Would it make sense for me to urinate under your bow stand a week before the deer opener? Do you think you would see any deer? Not trying to name call anyone, just trying to point you in the right direction and i know i am not the only one who feels this way, especially when it comes to public land. This is not fourth grade recess, I am not going to name call you and then beet you to a pulp. Good luck this spring and hope your first turkey season is succesful. Not trying to stear you away from it, but if you are looking to harvest your first, i would suggest you stick with a shotgun until you get used to their excellent eyesight and hearing. You will be at ground level and its not like drawing on a deer from a stand. Everything you do will be seen by probably several sets of eyes and ear drums. If you have a ground blind, give it a try, otherwise go the shotgun route. Good luck.

Comment

I've been watching and listening to this silly stuff from afar.......now y'all quit it and enjoy opening weekend!
                            Buck A Do......I might see you all up there if I don't get a new job in Charlotte NC!
                            And PSE Brian.....if I can show up I'll bring the .223 with me!
                            Later.

Comment

So has anyone commited to going to LBJ opening weekend? All I can tell is everyone is mad at each other for something. Larry, I am gonna hit you up for some vine info very soon via PM. And if I gegt any this year it will be with the bow only. Pat, good luck with the job in NC?!

Comment

Well I do hope to see you Pat, I am not sure if I will stay the entire weekend but I know I will stay all day Saturday. I hate pulling the pop-up ot for a one night stay and sleeping in the truck is hard on this old man's back. I was thinking of bringing my jungle hammock and sleeping deep in the woods so I don't have that far of a walk in the morning. LOL

Larry it is hard to try to get someone that is hard headed to see things in a different perspective. You and I know that this is the way of life with public land hunting, hunters doing their own thing prior to any hunting season. I actually don't think calling now before season is doing any harm as to educating the birds. I think it is more like hunters feel that other hunters are infringing on their area and will go to name calling, mud slinging and so forth. I think you and I have been on this forum for the same length of time, isn't this the third or forth site layout we have gone through with Michael?

I wonder what the hunters will be called that go out in September looking for that special spot to deer hunt in October. Tramping through the woods, throwing their water bottles, snack wrappers down as they urinate on trees. Oh well I guess I will have to wait and see.

Dave are you going up Friday or Saturday monrning? John are you going as well, tell Lori she better not out do me this season. I think she did last season as I came home with zero, nada, zilch, big goose egg. I do hope to at least see a bird or two last year I just heard them along with 10 to 12 hunters in the same area as I was. I think we were calling one another. LOL

Take care all and I will see you Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                X