No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa NWR 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just one more week! Who will be there on Firday?

Comment

I'll be there all 8 days. I learned a lot about the area last year and I plan to capitalize on it this year. I'm going to hunt hard. This is going to be only my SECOND deer hunt this season! I did hunt elk for nearly 2 weeks, but I'm in deer hunting withdrawal. I WANNA KILL SOMETHING!

Comment

I feel a little better now. I stopped at Miller Blueprint in Austin the other day to get a topo map of the area. They had sold their last Laguna Atascosa quadrangle the day before. I wish I knew who the local was who bought it. He obviously is likely to be a hunter. The topo maps of the area have so little detail on them - I guess because the land is so flat - that there really isn't a need for a topo map of the area.

So, Sneakyphil, you and your Dad are going to concentrate on unit 6 this time...have you hunted it before? Are you using a tripod?

My 78 year old friend from the panhandle will be hunting with me this year as well as my elk hunting buddy from Dallas. I marked 4 spots in unit 1 on my GPS that my friends and I will use. Did you ever see the swamp in unit 1? There is hog sign all over that area.

Comment

How's the water level is this year? Are the ponds full?

Comment

onthetake, it appeared to me that there is more water but not by much. I'm not sure which ponds you're talking about. Water crossing #2 has water on the north side this year. Last year that side was dry. There are myriad thousands of ducks on the Laguna Atascosa. I didn't see that last year.

Comment

Thanks Bloodhound, I was asking about the water level in general. If the Laguna is full then most of the smaller ponds and resaca's are full also. Less than one week to go.

Comment

Water levels look down to me. I will be hunting from the ground. Tripod are a pain in the butt to get in and out. I hunted 6 year back but it got too crowded. Last year there didnt seem to be as many peolpe as other years. We will see about this year.

Comment

Me, and Rob(Atthewall) are going to try and make it next week (Mid Week), the Rut is kicking into full action in Sonora, so we might be hard pressed to leave the Rut. Hopefully will have a couple down by the weekend, and make our way south.

Comment

The weather is going to be great. I saw that it was going to be in the 40s Friday morning. We are goinf to get another cold front Monday as well.

Comment

Sneakyphil, You need a lighter tripod, sure is nice to be up off the ground a little. I am going to start in area 6 also. I move around alot, I generally hunt at least once in every area but mostly 8 and 6. Sure hope the weather gets the big boys moving looking for those early does.

Comment

This is great...I'm finally getting to see some of the guys that will be hunting. For a while there it seemed like the only TBHers hunting would be Sneakyphil & myself.

I have never used a tripod except one morning on a TPWD draw hunt by assigned blind. I have always hunted from the ground. This will be a new experience for me and I think it will work well. The obvious drawback is staying in one spot & relying on the game to come to me instead of seeking them out. I believe my odds of taking game will be higher this way, though.

Sneakyphil, I didn't know there would be another front next Monday. This may prove to be the hunt of a lifetime.

Who will be doing the January hunt? I will and I know that Sneakyphil will.

3 1/2 more days..............

Comment

Good Luck to all of you! My hunting party will be in a 1994 white Z71. Wear your long underwear cause they say it will be in the 30's in the morning. If the wind is up. it will feel much colder.

Comment

I will be in a white, 2006, Chevrolet Crew Cab, 4 x 4, deisel with a strange looking bike rack (you will know what I mean if you see it). Say hello if you see me.

Comment

Bloodhound left for Laguna this morning. Good luck to you guys!

Comment

This isnt a draw hunt is it?? You just haveto have the public hunt tag paid for correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X