Ive Caught the bug!! The SHEEP BUG!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive Caught the bug!! The SHEEP BUG!!!

I know of a few others on here that have it too. But i have caught the Sheep bug.. I have a moose/bison hunt booked for next year but all i can think about is putting a down payment on a sheep hunt.. I am gonna do some research and probably put a down payment on a NWT Dall sheep hunt this year.. I am really looking into where doc may went.. But im gonna talk to quite a few outfitters.. I am already planning on running the cowtown half marathon this year and the full next year...

Doc May you are a bad influence on me.. I cant wait to see your stone pics..

Try being in my shoes.

I am trying to study for my finals right now, summer semester ends this coming week. Taking a hard biology and psych class, very very close to failing the bio.

Right above my head, in front of me and behind this computer screen, is a desert sheep tag and Cameron Hane's Backcountry Bowhunting under it. To my left, my bows hung on the wall and my safe next to them. To my right, a pic of a herd of deserts. Behind me, my closet full with all my gear, packs, and camo.

Google Earth open under this browser, as I mark sheepy looking areas in my unit.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to concentrate right now! I have the bug bad and its killing me I haven't been able to go scout due to school.

Comment

i couldnt imagine.. The day i have a sheep tag in my pocket is the day i become useless..

what state you have a desert tag?

Comment

oh and i wouldnt be at school
        the way i look at it is a desert hunt cost 40k plus without drawing a tag

a semester of school is less than 15k.. Seens like scouting is the right move haha

Comment

Bowhunt?

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            Bowhunt?
            Man, I hope so! I am going to carry both up there and let the situation dictate what I end up using.

If I go with the rifle, I am self filming everything. If I have to stalk within bowrange, filming is going out the window. Maybe I have been watching too much "Solo Hunters"?

Before ya'll get to excited, I pulled a ewe tag. No big old ram for me this time! Just the experience of hunting bighorn and knowing it could have just as easily been the ram next to the ewe I could have shot is enough for me.
            Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 07-18-2014, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Oh well it's a tag and the best practice for that ram tag one day

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                i couldnt imagine.. The day i have a sheep tag in my pocket is the day i become useless..

what state you have a desert tag?
                Nevada, Unit 212

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                  Bowhunt?
                  yes when i book my hunt it will be a bow hunt..

Comment

I don't have the bug bad............yet! (I am more enamored with the Marco Polo sheep honestly.) I know Jim (Keep) is looking hard at bowhunting one also. Your moose and bison is definitely on the very short list of my North American 29 vision.

Comment

The sheep bug is the hardest to get rid of. I don't think I will ever get rid of it. I hunted Dall sheep in the NWT in 2004 with Gana River Outfitters. I killed a nice sheep 36-1/2 x 13 at 1130 one evening. It was a 10 day backpack hunt with Gana River Outfitters. Bill McKenzie doesn't own the company any more but sold out to his son in law who was my guide. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I don't want, nor can I afford, the Grand Slam, but I am about to start researching for a Rocky Mountain Bighorn tag. If anyone knows of a quality area that I can do a DIY hunt with a partner I'd appriciate it. Getting in sheep shape is what you should concentrate on at least a year in advance. I was running 6-9 miles every other day and on other days wearing my pack with 75 lbs. of lead shot in it and doing bleachers at the football stadium. The guide still out climbed me. Awesome experience with a quality outfit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                        Man, I hope so! I am going to carry both up there and let the situation dictate what I end up using.
                        me.
                        From another site:

Bowhunters, leave your guns at home

Comment

I agree.. when i go on my sheep hunt i will not be taking a gun

Comment

We need to talk before you book this

Comment

Originally posted by keep View Post
                              We need to talk before you book this
                              deal

Comment

Working...
                              X