More CWD info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
    Sure, valid concern. How many of Texas' confirmed CWD were in breeder pens vs. free range. Knock out the low hanging fruit.
    How would we know as only breeders are testing. We'll breeders and deer shot in the few counties that require testing.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      Not saying anything about the bigger argument, but the deer I shoot I don't typically find hanging around processing facilities.
      Is the suggestion that processing facilities are a vector for wild deer populations?
      No but my point I shoot a deer in Medina County I have to get it tested but I still get to take home or to process facility before I know it has CWD. I can then do whatever I want with the carcass. Doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
        How would we know as only breeders are testing. We'll breeders and deer shot in the few counties that require testing.
        Not true at all...TPWD is testing free range animals all over the state.

Comment

Originally posted by MTaylor View Post
          My doe I shot in Van Zandt county got tested.
          TPWD Biologist was at the processors when I dropped her off.
          I gave her permission to test her.

Comment

It is illegal to bring spinal material as well as brain material back into Texas from a state that has cwd so if you are doing this it is illegal. I brought a Mule deer back from Colorado this year and had to cape the buck and skull cap it and make sure that any spinal material was removed before bringing it into Texas. Also had to have it tested in Colorado at a check station within 24 hours of harvest...it tested negative
            Just started this year.
            I have been hauling deer and Elk back here for 40 years, I never knew......

Comment

Guys the test results are not immediately known. So where that animal goes, what truck bed or cooler it sits in, were it is disposed all could and probably have the prion. The prion once out of the animal lives where it lies forever.

Comment

This is not even bringing into debate of the exotics which the state does not control.

Comment

No matter which side of this argument you like, one thing is certain to me. CWD is gonna change deer hunting as we know it in the not-so-distant future. And not for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                    This is not even bringing into debate of the exotics which the state does not control.
                    I didn't even think about that

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      No matter which side of this argument you like, one thing is certain to me. CWD is gonna change deer hunting as we know it in the not-so-distant future. And not for the better.
                      Thats a fact.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        I have been saying as much for a year. I don't think it is as bad as some make it out to be but I do think it changes things dramatically for the worse. I think TPWD, TWA and TDA all have f'd up ideas and views which best suit their own needs and have done very little to actually address the real issue. This should have been and always been about the Whitetail and all sides have made it about their own best interest. Nobody has really taken the deer's best interest to heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                          Who was blaming it solely breeders alone?
                          Ignoring the fact that breeders can, have and will transport infected deer all over the state is laughable.
                          Not on purpose needs to be said in there lol

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                            I am the processor of my deer. And I cant say where the bones and scraps from your processor end up, but im sure they end up in a landfill somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The deer I shoot don’t hang around landfills much either.
                            I guess I’m missing the point— I just don’t see how the one-way ticket to a processor that deer punch is much of a factor in CWD spread. I get it that not all deer go to processors... not all mine do, but unless you’re harvesting them somewhere, hauling them down the road and then pulling a Fargo and broadcasting the carcasses across swaths of grazing lands, I just don’t see a widespread contamination mechanism there.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              The deer I shoot don’t hang around landfills much either.
                              I guess I’m missing the point— I just don’t see how the one-way ticket to a processor that deer punch is much of a factor in CWD spread. I get it that not all deer go to processors... not all mine do, but unless you’re harvesting them somewhere, hauling them down the road and then pulling a Fargo and broadcasting the carcasses across swaths of grazing lands, I just don’t see a widespread contamination mechanism there.
                              Any contamination would be a huge negative for deer on that property. I guess some of you don't understand the prion lives for ever. Bleach, Fire, Time etc DO NOT kill the prion. If a deer dies that has CWD the spot it decays will have CWD prion until the end of time. You shoot a deer that has CWD and throw it in the back of your truck the prion could be in the back of your truck. You put a cooler in the back of your truck and go to your buddy ranch and set your cooler by the fire, you could have have just left CWD by the campfire. I get that is a lot of "what ifs" but it is the reality of CWD.

We are not sure if there are human issues related to CWD yet. If there are how easy is it for a processor's equipment to pass CWD on in the sausage they process? It really is scary what all could change if/when they find out more about what all is involved in CWD.

Comment

More CWD info

Bahaha...@ what rate? Comparable to that of breeder deer? More? Less? Equal % of harvest? Before or after logical pushback from the breeding industry?

Might wanna check some historical test #'s before you get a comfort level that TPWD is stewarding anything outside or inside of fences...besides a political agenda that is

As far as exotics...the fire sales have already begun before the inventory #'s are due in April. Good job TAHC....way to decimate species for political CYA gain[emoji106]
                                Last edited by RodinaRanč; 02-12-2018, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X