Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking About Coming off the Rage, What head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
    Not being an ace when I say this but I don't u,understand chasing broadheads or switching every time a bad shot was made.
    I have shot thunderheads for the last 15 plus years and they have served me well. If I made a bad shot I wouldn't blame or change because of that and if the ones you use have also I would stick with them.
    Just my .02 cents.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    If you read the entire post, you should understand I took credit for my shot. I would not be afraid to shoot a deer with a Rage again tomorrow. It just got me to considering maybe I should consider something that can penetrate better especially when I'm shooting big mid west deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      When you hit bone there’s not much if anything that will do any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      I’ll have to disagree with this statement. Have you read the Ashby studies?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
        If you read the entire post, you should understand I took credit for my shot. I would not be afraid to shoot a deer with a Rage again tomorrow. It just got me to considering maybe I should consider something that can penetrate better especially when I'm shooting big mid west deer.
        The vitals of a big Midwest deer are in the same spot as any other deer, and the chest cavity is only about 4" thicker, and just as soft.
        Shot placement trumps head design and arrow weight.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
          The vitals of a big Midwest deer are in the same spot as any other deer, and the chest cavity is only about 4" thicker, and just as soft.
          Shot placement trumps head design and arrow weight.
          You're right! I must have forgot it's not possible to miss your mark by a few inches when shooting at a big buck. We should all just shoot field points!!

Comment

I have had great luck with 100 gr NAP Spitfire Maxx! 1 3/4" cut

Comment

I have had great luck with 100 gr NAP Spitfire Maxx.

Comment

When I went Elk hunting I tried out a ton of cut on contact heads and the NAP HellRazor flew the best for me AND was the only one I could re-sharpen on a sharpening stone easily to shave hair on my arm. They are a nice head for sure.

Here is the link to the Eastman's Tuning Guide pdf

Ranchdog
                Last edited by ranchdog; 12-11-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Slick Trick %100 all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Muzzy Trocar or fixed 3 blade.

Comment

Elk in my avatar was shot with a 100gr. Montec carbon steel @520 total weight. was quartering away at 40 yards down hill. Blew through a rib coming and going.....no problem with blood trail and he went about 75 yards. Montecs are not sharp out of the package but the CS are super easy to sharpen enough to shave with in just a few minutes. There a many good fixed blade out there...I like the G5 because I do not have to monkey around with changing blades....never have had an awful blood trail on many big animals...I will Elk hunt with the 200gr 2 blade single bevel Monarch from Alaska Bowhunting Supply....these are brutal and will blow through the shoulder bone without issue. I have heard that they are expensive....but have you priced a trophy elk hunt!!!....on this same hunt my buddy shot an elk that was quartering away with a rage hypo and the broadhead never penetrated the ribcage but skipped along between the hide and the ribs....it opened him up and he bled an incredible amount but he lived and the $12k hunt was over. THAT is an expensive choice of broadhead!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	elk lung.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	24522865Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk 17.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	24522867
                      Last edited by Tom; 12-13-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Someone on here posted a pretty intense realistic broadhead test a few years ago.

I went to Africa in 2005 and they suggested a tightpoint shuttle T broadhead. I have been using them ever since exclusively. Great flight, penetrations, and holes. The size of hole isn't super important like some on here say because the body isn't under pressure. I shot. Buck this weekend with a shuttle t and it made a hole on each side. Blood poured out, but only as fast as his heart could pump it. He ran 20 yards and died in sight. I could see each heart beat or breath as the blood pumped out. Penetration on a bad shot, except gut shot, is important. Anything will pass through guts.

What I also like about them is they are durable, I can put new blades on them, and I can shoot through screens on tent blinds. And there is less chance of failure than a mechanical which are all reasons they don't allow mechanicals in Africa.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X