Truck AC - What the ...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck AC - What the ...???

So my AC stopped blowing cool a week ago (Wednesday before Thanksgiving) while driving home. Happened somewhat suddenly. I hadn't had any issues with it not cooling prior to this, but thought since the temps have been fairly mild, I just didn't notice it. I didn't drive it all weekend. Monday and Tuesday, short trips to work and back.

I took it to my mechanic this morning and asked him to take a look at it. He called me and said, "you're going to have to come see this..." so I head back over there, truck is up on the lift, and he shines his light up to the compressor, where I see a baseball size hole in the compressor housing.

Now here's the thing. I vaguely remember hearing some clanging underneath the day it went out, but I'm about 99% sure that I didn't run over anything. The compressor is tucked way up under the engine compartment, just slightly behind the skid plate. We looked around underneath for signs that I had run over something and that thing having hit other parts, but no signs were found. Nothing else looked damaged or dinged at all.

Mechanic says he's never seen anything like it, but his parts supplier said he saw it once. Have any of you guys ever heard of a truck AC compressor just exploding?

Nope never heard of that

Comment

What make and year model? I’m having issues with a 2014 Chevy half ton right now

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
        What make and year model? I’m having issues with a 2014 Chevy half ton right now
        2015 Chevy 2500 6.0l gas

What kind of trouble are you having?

Comment

Originally posted by BigWes View Post
          2015 Chevy 2500 6.0l gas

What kind of trouble are you having?
          I’ve got a coolant leak somewhere and the mechanic can’t find it yet. Next step is for him is to look under it and see if he can see the leak. He will charge the AC and it lasts about a week to 10 days, then blows hot air.

Comment

We’ve got quite a few 15 model Chevys, and I’ve had two personally. Every single one of them has had the AC compressor take a crap on them. Most within the first 50k miles, but some made it as far as 80k. Both 1500 with 5.3 and 2500 with 6.6 Dmax. Not sure if they had holes in them or not, but not a single factory compressor has survived.

Comment

I’ve got a coolant leak somewhere and the mechanic can’t find it yet. Next step is for him is to look under it and see if he can see the leak. He will charge the AC and it lasts about a week to 10 days, then blows hot air.
              That should be easy to find if it leaks off that fast.

Comment

Leak is behind compressor clutch. Happened to me twice. Hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  We’ve got quite a few 15 model Chevys, and I’ve had two personally. Every single one of them has had the AC compressor take a crap on them. Most within the first 50k miles, but some made it as far as 80k. Both 1500 with 5.3 and 2500 with 6.6 Dmax. Not sure if they had holes in them or not, but not a single factory compressor has survived.
                  Mine has 46,000 miles. Did yours blow holes in the compressor or just stop working?

Comment

Yes, it can happen on any A/C compressor. 40 years in the automotive a/c business and I have seen it before. Most of the time it was on large diesel trucks. Any type compressor can do this, but some are more likely than others. Your truck should have a Nippondenso compressor. Have seen a few with holes, but not quite as large as the one you described.
                    Your mechanic should check carefully to see if the compressor was coming apart or died a very sudden death from a sudden part failure. If it has metal shavings internally, a condenser may also be part of the repair job as the new style will not flush very well. Of course the orifice tube and drier will need to be replaced. Suction line should be flushed, because metal shavings can blow backwards in the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Airtech View Post
                      Yes, it can happen on any A/C compressor. 40 years in the automotive a/c business and I have seen it before. Most of the time it was on large diesel trucks. Any type compressor can do this, but some are more likely than others. Your truck should have a Nippondenso compressor. Have seen a few with holes, but not quite as large as the one you described.
                      Your mechanic should check carefully to see if the compressor was coming apart or died a very sudden death from a sudden part failure. If it has metal shavings internally, a condenser may also be part of the repair job as the new style will not flush very well. Of course the orifice tube and drier will need to be replaced. Suction line should be flushed, because metal shavings can blow backwards in the line.
                      Great info....uncommon for it to self destruct like yours did, but not unheard of for sure....

Comment

Originally posted by BigWes View Post
                        Mine has 46,000 miles. Did yours blow holes in the compressor or just stop working?
                        Couldn’t tell you. By the time it happened to the first it was a Well noted problem, so we didn’t even bother looking into them. Just replaced them and went on. Most under warranty, but some out of warranty. We never got denied a warranty though. We just knew which ones were miled out already.

Comment

I have the same truck and had the hose swapped out yesterday, it was cracked like a mf and I lost all my frion in a day

Comment

Where is your shop at in Lufkin?

Comment

Thanks for the info. He did say there was likely some shavings in the lines and recommended the condenser be replaced along with the drier and lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X