Val Verde County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedernal...

Thanks for the update. I figured the temps were up there in the triple digits. Vegetation starts to get a little dry and brown this time of year. that part of the country never really seems to get any sustained rain events where it has time to soak in and really benefit the vegetation/wildlife. Like you said, it comes down 3-4' at a time and runs right off. It foes fill up the huge holes in the rocks for us though so the critters can have some water. We don't have much in the way of water on the lease so those "pots", as we call them work until it evaporates off. There are several pots close to my feeder. i take a shovel out once a year and dig out the silt that builds up. One of them is close to 3 feet deep.

Comment

Thanks for the update man! I've got a water trough I'm going to set up to help them with some water.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have hunted and owned a small property out there for going on 8 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by blntrey3 View Post
          I have hunted and owned a small property out there for going on 8 years now.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=406047
          From this pics and all the talk you've got yourself a really nice place bud!

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
            From this pics and all the talk you've got yourself a really nice place bud!

Thanks bud....I haven't updated lately but some newer additions are in the back few pages.

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
              Thanks for the update man! I've got a water trough I'm going to set up to help them with some water.

Blake's FIL set up a water station on our lease this spring. It's probably 800 yards away from the only pond in the area. I bet they are hammering that station now! It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts them during the heat of summer.

Comment

Yeah! I was hoping Blake was going to get to go this weekend so we could check it out. I'm interested also!

Comment

I'm interested...

in the water station idea. Is this one that he must haul water to? I'm not sure I could haul the water to where my feeder is. It's a long way in and very rough country. I've thought about a guzzler like I've seen in some places. Also thought about building a small rain catchment system, but don't think I could build it big enough to catch enough rain to fill a trough.

Comment

It's a 275 gallon tote that fills a small plastic pan via a trough float valve. The pan is in a hog panel pen and the tote is outside with rocks stacked around the pvc between the two. Water is hauled to it with another tote and pumped in.

Comment

Not to hijack but have some questions

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                        http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=650275
                        Not to hijack but have some questions
                        PM me

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                          Thanks for the update. I figured the temps were up there in the triple digits. Vegetation starts to get a little dry and brown this time of year. that part of the country never really seems to get any sustained rain events where it has time to soak in and really benefit the vegetation/wildlife. Like you said, it comes down 3-4' at a time and runs right off. It foes fill up the huge holes in the rocks for us though so the critters can have some water. We don't have much in the way of water on the lease so those "pots", as we call them work until it evaporates off. There are several pots close to my feeder. i take a shovel out once a year and dig out the silt that builds up. One of them is close to 3 feet deep.
                          in the water station idea. Is this one that he must haul water to? I'm not sure I could haul the water to where my feeder is. It's a long way in and very rough country. I've thought about a guzzler like I've seen in some places. Also thought about building a small rain catchment system, but don't think I could build it big enough to catch enough rain to fill a trough.
                          If you end up building a guzzler consider running a small bilge pump to the "pots" you mentioned above to assist getting your storage container/tank filled and topped off. Not seen it mentioned on here but it would be a simple set up and might work well for you.

Comment

We haul the tote in the bed of a pickup but guys that hunt on an other lease near us have a small trailer that a 4 wheeler could tow. It's like a plastic barrel on wheels as best as I can describe it. You might could build something like that.

Comment

On our way!!! First stop

Comment

Picked up cotton seed, beer iced down, now next stop is lease!!

Comment

Working...
                                X